Author Topic: Ernie  (Read 524 times)

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Ernie
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:03:13 PM »
Dear Mr. Els,

I watched, with the rest of the golf world, your troubles on the first hole Thursday.  I want you to know I am sympathetic to your issues, but before you jump on the fear of impact, putt with your eyes closed, it is all in your head, rhetoric flying around, please consider another line of thought.

For as long as I have watched you play, I have always thought the source and sequence of your putting stroke started with your right hand. At Oakmont it was obvious to me (yes I was in the gallery) and from a closer view at the practice round I watched you play at the Field Club.

So I believe Thursday on that first putt, you simply tried to hit that putt with your right hand like you have done millions of times before, but your left hand got in the way. I would suggest that for as long as you putt left hand low, you might have to remind yourself that your stroke is now left side dominant instead of right.

I have had some success with nervous strokes by identifying the motion sequence and asking the player to repeat it before they try and hit a putt. With a left hand low set up, it might be left shoulder back, left hand past the ball.  The words don't matter as long as they remind you brain what you are trying to do.

I hope you will accept this with the sincerity it is offered, I don't think you have the yips, I think you just forgot how to make your stroke. Huge difference.

With sincere best wishes for a big fan,

Bruce
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Re: Ernie
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
P.S. If you want to remember what your old stroke felt like. Put your left hand on your right shoulder, let the putter swing inside then release down the line. Trying to take the putter straight back with your right hand is problematic at best
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

PJ

Re: Ernie
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Bruce,

Great post, as always!  If you take out the Oakmont references, the majors and all the international success Ernie has had, it could just as well be titled Dear PJ.  I have always been strongly right side (right hand) dominant since some time in my youth when someone told me 'the left hand steers, the right hand powers it'.  Even today using the claw (pencil style) I can't kick the right hand pushing the grip forward in the stroke.

Can you elaborate on why Ernie's change to left hand low requires a shift to left side dominance?  If I look at the converse, you have guys like Stockton who are left side dominant with a conventional, left hand at the top, grip.  Although for players like that the left hand is pulling (not pushing like Ernie's right hand would be), it would seem to indicate that hand position and choice of side for motive force are not indelibly linked.

Thanks!!
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft