Author Topic: Why heavy putter for fast greens and lighter for slow  (Read 3778 times)

thegooddoctor

Why heavy putter for fast greens and lighter for slow
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
Is this one of the old adages that everyone states that is kinda silly or am I crazy. If you wanted to keep the stroke the same wouldn't heavier for slower greens and lighter for faster greens make more sense?

Evan
That's it! No more putters....for at least a week:)

Ripple

Re: Why heavy putter for fast greens and lighter for slow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »
that's how it works for me, but i think most will tell you the opposite. i prefer lighter grip weights, head weights 330-350 range.  for slower greens situations i find it nice to have a bench putter that is the same/similar but with heavier grip (>100g)

CopperKid

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:04:40 PM »
I actually thought it was a lighter putter for fast greens and heavier putter for slow greens. I play a lighter putter when our greens are running over a 12.

CourtGolf

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
Agree with you, CK.  I always heard lighter for faster and heavier for slower.  Less mass transferring energy into the ball for fast greens - and more mass for slower greens.
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

CopperKid

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
Agree with you, CK.  I always heard lighter for faster and heavier for slower.  Less mass transferring energy into the ball for fast greens - and more mass for slower greens.

Yep, exactly. I've never tried it the reverse way. However, the way I have been putting maybe it would be a good idea.

DanGolfs86

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:32:13 PM »
I guess if you think your body will always swing the putter at the same speed the  lighter for faster greens makes sense... Less force imparted on the ball for faster greens with the same stroke. I've always just found it easier to adjust for the speed of the greens than get used to a new putter
- DH89 SSS Rincon Chromatic Bronze Torched
- DH89 GSS Rincon w/soundslot
- Scotty Cameron TEi3 Sole Stamp Santa Fe

apprenti23

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:42 AM »
In theory heavier putters for fast greens and lighter for slower.

Does it work? I don't think so. Good putters can adjust on the practice green.

cnosil

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
I have heard this type of argument for a long time.  After all I have learned about putting,  i don't get it.  If I change the weight of my putter,  I have to change something else to get the same rotation with the 2 putters.  If my rotation changes that means my face angle at impact is different meaning I miss putts without some compensations.   I vote stay with a single putter and adjust stroke length for different speed greens.   

fharbist

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
In theory heavier putters for fast greens and lighter for slower.

Does it work? I don't think so. Good putters can adjust on the practice green.

+1.  This is the way I was "taught" as well, by golf coaches (NCAA D1) and head pros at places such as Oakmont.  The advice was not to switch putters when traveling to a course with faster/slower greens, but that if you generally play courses with fast greens, that the heavier putter - in general - is a better way to go (and vice versa).  I don't think a great teacher/pro would ever advise someone to be changing putters round to round.

The theory as relayed to me was that if you generally play slower greens, you need to make a bigger swing, and it's easier to control a bigger swing with a lighter head.  On faster greens, what you need is control of your (shorter) stroke.  It's easier to keep a short stroke steady and on line with a heavier head.

That was the theory....  This was about 15-20 years ago, so with the advent of Trackman and other computer-based stroke analyses, maybe everything is different now and all the old wives-tales are debunked.  I think that's the beauty of this thread.....

dlam

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
Heavier feel putter for slower greens  lighter weight putter for faster greens. That's what works for me

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
How do you create different speeds? If you change tempo, then maybe changing weight is of some assistance. If you change stroke length then changing weight is a disaster.

If you look at the great putters of all time. Do they change?
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

BladeJunkie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:17 AM »
Bruce, what have you found to work best for yourself and also for your students?

Thx,

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
... I've always just found it easier to adjust for the speed of the greens than get used to a new putter

I have to agree with this statement... the flatstick in my bag doesn't change due to the speed of the greens. I may rotate a putter in once in a while for a few rounds just to see how it responds to my stroke/speed/feel, but this may be one of those places where we over think what is going on.

Besides... I thought it was starve a cold, feed a fever...  ::)  ;)

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »
We recommend adjusting stroke to green speed. Once you develop a stroke with a certain putter weight it is hard to change.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »
We recommend adjusting stroke to green speed. Once you develop a stroke with a certain putter weight it is hard to change.

C'mon, Bruce - this is a putter addict sight!  Of course another putter, exactly matching style, but lighter is the answer!!!

But seriously - I totally agree with you.  When you have a gamer, it's your gamer.  Find a way to make it work - you'll have faith in old faithful.
Read it, roll it, hole it.

finalist

• Section Moderator
  • The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
A heavier putter will shorten my back swing which gives my swing less time to pick up speed which means less force is applied.

A heavier putter makes the back stroke feel like it needs to end sooner.

Just don't change weight.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
For putter addicts I would suggest similar models but with different lofts. When I was consulting for Science and Motion, Padraig Harrington had 4 two ball putters. O,1,2,and 3 degrees loft. He would pick the loft to best suit the greens.

SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

timastyle

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
Bruce - Won't varying lofts yield different results in the feel department and off center strikes (i.e. not getting the sweet spot)?
Byron Morgan:
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 Brushed Stainless with Plow neck (formerly a short pipe high polish blue oil as in my avatar)

Xenon:
Handmade Xenon Damascus Stainless (gamer)

Nead:
On order Albz

bargolf

• barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 06:34:03 AM »
Yes.
From a competitive standpoint we recommend 1 set of putter specs.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

bogie

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
I play very slow muni greens with a definite grain to them. I have been using a 350-365 gram putter for over a decade. On fast greens I adjust at the practice green prior to playing. I have an arc stroke and controlled swing. Recently I have been getting my shoulders into the stroke and am getting super consistent. I spend a lot of time on the practice green. More than anyone I know. It seems to pay off on the course. For me putting in very individual and I never give advice.
It is refreshing to find a forum that does actually think putting is important.  :)
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1

bogie

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

C'mon, Bruce - this is a putter addict sight!  Of course another putter, exactly matching style, but lighter is the answer!!!

But seriously - I totally agree with you.  When you have a gamer, it's your gamer.  Find a way to make it work - you'll have faith in old faithful.

That is what I was trying to say. With a heavy putter it's easier for me to adjust to the greens I am playing.
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19 Putter #1