Author Topic: Motion source and gripping the club  (Read 1017 times)

Ripple

Motion source and gripping the club
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
Interested in hearing opinions if there are methods of gripping the club that work better for different sources of motion.  Also curious to know thoughts on if/how  sizes, shapes(pistol/paddle/flatso) or texture of grips influence motion source.  Searching for my optimal stroke, recently started working with Bruce.  Believe I am right hand dominant and that gripping and grips play a role here.  Any feedback appreciated.
-Jon

chuck4golf

Re: Motion source and gripping the club
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
Jon, we are thinking about the same things! Here's my thinking...

My l hand (I'm r handed golf wise, left handed in most things) has more contact with club and control over stroke and I use l hand as source of motion. I think this is finally a decision that is just so personal without a right answer.

I am picking up my new Byron later this week (I live in LA) and choosing a grip there. Bruce had general ideas re this (smaller cause face to close more quickly, larger more open) but I too am unclear about grips and their impact. Part of it is balance with head weight. So... I am going to make a choice knowing I might tweak it later.
JBeam 435 11.5*
Callaway xhot 16.5*
Callaway xhot 19*, 23*
Epon 503 4-w
Macgregor vfoil 1025m 4-w
Vokey 50*
Wishon 56* 60*
Byron 612

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
wow, jealous about the Byron flatstick.  let me know what you get , and of course what grip!

I am righty, reverse overlap.  like grip more in my right palm, more pressure on right hand.  i have found that focusing on my right hand motion i prefer a midsize grip, more rounded rather than flat sidewall, otherwise get too handsy.  Really like the Iomic midsize Putter Grip, the new midsize (not the I-classic) for that rounded edge shape and that rubber feel.
been experimenting with hands closer together , rather than stacked, but seems more conducive to shoulder motion, less feel.
Like you say, probably more about personal feel and comfort

dlam

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »
Currently Im putting with standard pistol type grip after couple of years trying with the rounded thicker superstroke type grip.
I like to think that my right hand is responsible for the tapping motion . I hold the putter fairly upright with the grip passing slightly higher than my lifelline, sometimes into my thumb pad. I hold the putter tighter with my right hand. I putt much better and more consistent if I have light grip pressure with my left hand.
If my right hand was 5-7/10 . My left hand grip pressure is a 2-4/10. I use the standard reverse overlap grip  and very good at right to left putts. I tend to struggle with left to right breakers, lately I been turning my left hand over a bit so my left thumb is over my right hand rather than on the handle and that seems to give me more touch on the left to right putts.

dlam

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
just an update on my reverse overlap grip, feeling more confident when last three fingers fit inside my right palm and my palms are parallel to each other rather than having my left thumb in lifeline of the right hand