Author Topic: Bettinardi experts - restoring a DASS finish  (Read 1574 times)

fharbist

Bettinardi experts - restoring a DASS finish
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Hi all, looking for a little help.  I picked up this BB-8 Sig Proto DASS putter from a local collector and am trying to figure out if there's anything that can be done with the finish here.  It is a brand new putter (grip was still in a wrapper), but the finish over the years seems to have yellowed (or "oranged").  See the picture below...

Is there anything that can be done (easily) here?  Chemical?  Steel wool?  Anything short of a refinish?  Or just play with it as is which is my current plan.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

puttronics

Re: Bettinardi experts - restoring a DASS finish
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Try Brasso.

jr

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »
I am not sure that your putter has a "finish" on it. When people make a reference to having a finish redone I always think of doing something that strips and re-applies a substance to the metal, like black oxide, nickel plating, torched, etc. To me your DASS putter looks like it has no finish, just raw stainless steel. Stainless steel will show some corrosion / oxidation sometimes, that is why it is called stainless and not no stain, because it will stain less than carbon steel.

If it were my putter and I wanted to get it back to that unfinished "silver" look I would consider some type of metal polish for stainless that would remove light oxidation. I would use a soft rag at first to see if that works. If you needed to use something more abrasive use 0000 or 00000 steel wool with a metal polish of some kind. Even using a oil first, before a metal polish, might work. I mention this because metal polish has some abrasive in it to help polish the metal.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
That yellowing might be from the clear coat they used to apply to the putters. Try a little acetone on the flange to see if it comes off. Only problem if it is clear coat you will need to remove it from the rest of the putter. If it's not clear coat a light bead blast or some time on the polishing wheel will remove the flame finish.

Next time save your money and purchase a machine or a Byron lol

Jimmy

fharbist

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Jimmy, thanks.  Very clear where your loyalties are :-)  BTW, I may call you this fall on a Machine.  It's too complex to try to figure out their website...  I think I need an M2A converter flow neck, minimal offset, wider flange piece, etc.  Will follow up after I move a couple other putters.....

On this Betti, I just used my wife's household polish (Brasso equivalent - said it was good for stainless steel) and it worked fine on removing the oxidation.  I think this putter was slightly blue flamed, no clear coat.  It's clearly good enough for putting it into action later today on the course.  Updated pics attached...

Thank you everyone.

puttronics

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »
Looks good. Brasso or such is good stuff!

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
Looking good!
Thanks for sharing!
RC
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

The man with no aim.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
Hmmm. My first thoughts on that one said old oil residue now, you've cleaned it & found a very slight torch effect/colouring I'd even consider a previous owner has tried to torch finish the putter themselves. 

Not having got enough heat into head the effect is only slight, its shocking just how much heat is required.

Its cleaned up pretty good though now, go game it

Regards
T

BTW. Jimmy's great to work with if a little forward lol.
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive