Author Topic: Brandt Snedeker Putting Alternative Technique  (Read 2065 times)

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
Brandt Snedeker Putting Alternative Technique
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:08:52 AM »
I'm really hoping Bruce will chime in here.

I was perusing some well known players' putting techniques and came across the youtube video Brand Snedeker: Putting Made Easy here;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwk2rsEuyZg

He describes his technique as an older style of 'pop' stroke, with short backswing and an abbreviated but fast forward motion so it 'pops' off the face.

I've been working on my technique with some tips from Bruce Rearick here with slow improvement.  For fun I spent a few minutes at the end of some practice doing some 'pop' stroke putts and it seemed to eliminate some of my slow motion errors.

I can see distance control being an issue initially but am really tempted to give it a go.

Anyone use it or gone back to it or care to comment at all?
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Re: Brandt Snedeker Putting Alternative Technique
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
I recommend some version of this method to all of my clients who are naturally up tempo.

I recommend abbreviated follow throughs  to trail side dominant strokes.

Gava, in your case I think you will find yours will become a right hand hit with an abbreviated follow through.  Think of the image of hammering a nail into the back of the ball.

The biggest question. does the up tempo nature of this putting style match you natural tendencies?
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

Gava

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
The biggest question. does the up tempo nature of this putting style match you natural tendencies?

Yep, I am up pretty much tempo with everything I do.  When I was having refresher lessons a while back the pro did a pretty good imitation of me stomping up to my ball and practice swinging at pace which was quite funny actually.  He suggested I should slow down.

When observing the pros I've always associated a good putting stroke with a smooth (not rushed) action, until now.

Not saying this technique is for me but in the past 12 months I've had barely a couple of weeks at a time of my average putts being less than 35 in any round, and I'd average maybe 3 x 3 putts most rounds and am off 15.

I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:41 AM »
Gava,

I am going to make the same suggestion to you I do to many of my clients. I would drop all ideas of what is a good stroke.

You have to control impact, speed loft and face angle. The player who des that best is the best putter. I could be dead wrong, but in our brief conversations I get the sense you are trying to fit a model rather than find results. Fitting the model does not guarantee results, it only means you look good of video.

Here is what I help my students learn.

1. Find a set up that gives you an accurate perception of target.
2. Find the sources and sequence of motion that moves the putter consistently and efficiently for you.
3. Match the putter design to rotational requirements of the arc defined by your distance from the ball. Every stroke has a rotational requirement and every putter a rotational value. The closer the match the easier it is to consistently make a stroke.
4. Find the appropriate offset that helps square the putter at impact.
5. Never change your source and sequence of motion because of a miss. Using this method, random misses should become consistent misses. Consistent misses are easier to judge and subsequently fix.

Constant change = constant frustration.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
Gava,

Where are you located? I have some clients who teach in your part of the world. Maybe one is close.

Bruce
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

Gava

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »
Thanks Bruce - hopefully these tips on forum will help others besides me.  Your advice is always appreciated.

I'm still interested in comments on Brandt's stroke if you or anyone else has observations to make?

I have seen comparisons with this stroke to modern day players like Rickie Fowler and right back to players of yesteryear like Billy Casper.

Edit:  I'm in Perth, Western Australia Bruce

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »
Based on my previous post from my perspective I would judge it based on those parameters.

It is hard to use a pop stroke if your prefer to stand away from the ball.

If you struggle with short putts this would be an option. If you are a good short putter but struggle with longer putts I wouldn't think this is a good move.

If you have a naturally quick tempo this is an option. If a longer slower tempo suits you better this would be hard.

This is a hit and not a stroke.

I don't have a general opinion overall. There are reasons it works for Brandt. Face control for one. Short strokes don't require any rotation.

Like any method. You look at the strengths and weaknesses of the method and compare them to your own. If you find a fit it is worth a try. I am sure there are guys on the forum who have tried it and can weigh in on how it worked for them.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

geogolf

• Section Moderator
  • www.theclubcollector.com
    • TheClubCollector
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
Pop Stroke..... Got a Johnny Miller flashback !    :)

Gava

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »
Tried this for a round today.  Of course started on fire one putting the first 3 holes, all 5-8 ft putts.  15 putts on the front 9 is about as good as it gets for me.

Crashed back to earth on the back 9 missing a couple of 2-3 footers with the pop stroke.  Towards the end I was popping the mid to longer putts and a slower, more conventional stroke from 3 feet and in.  This seemed to work well.

I'd say a bit of practice to dial in my touch on distance and this could be a long term change.  I used a Scotty Fastback heavy (350g) today and a lighter grip so the wrist could hinge ever so slightly on the follow through.

Gava

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »
Had another go at my evolving Sneds/Fowler/whatever abbreviated stroke today and got away with 16 putts including a lip out.  Again it's really helping for the 10-20+ feet range.

In fairness I spent 40 minutes on the practice green before I started.  Still encouraging results with the putter at least.

PJ

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »
Gava,
Have you tried a lighter headed putter?  It would seem to me with this stroke you have to get the energy to the ball with the head moving at a faster velocity over a shorter distance.  The inertia of a heavier head would make this harder to do, especially on short putts where you don't contribute as much energy.  I think I read somewhere that the old Rossie model Snedeker uses is in the 310g neighborhood.  This would have less resistance to starting back and also would make the transition from back to forward easier.
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

Gava

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:27 AM »
Good reasoning you make there PJ.  I've actually read differing opinions and I'm not sure what head weight Sned's putter is?  I just noticed it was a mini mallet and assumed more on the heavier than lighter side.  I may stand corrected?  ;)

I've always liked a heavier head and have been trialing this technique with a 350g 2015 Fastback and a Lajosi wide body blade at nearly 370g.  The Fastback is currently winning out purely on performance, which is a little disappointing given how stunning my new Lajosi is.  My takeaway still wavers a bit and I think the mini mallet is a bit more forgiving as well.

PJ

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »
I would argue that the Lajosi is losing out due to its (extra) mass.  And if I was trying this technique I would keep trying lighter and lighter putters until I found the point where it got too light.  My guess is your wavering takeaway is due to having to yank this much mass up to speed, and that you would see this smooth out with a putter requiring less effort to get in motion from a stationary position.  Sneds is using a nearly 10 year old Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie.  Just my 2 cents.
Scott Readman Concepts hand made, Head Speed shaft

Gava

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »
And a very good 2 cents it is mate.  I might have to try a couple of lighter putters in the mix to see if that makes me any better..?  That will take time to adjust to given my preference for heavier putters.  Will post up when I get to try it.

Edit:  Bruce commented that the wavering takeaway on my previous SAM analysis (old stroke) was possibly due to forcing the putter head on a straight back line at takeaway as the follow through was relatively smooth (but way too long).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:09:04 PM by Gava »