Author Topic: Lee Janzen putting special 12/16/14  (Read 1523 times)

Clemsonfan

Lee Janzen putting special 12/16/14
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »
I was fascinated by this putting special last night.

His strategy on left to right putts,Lee's professed weakness, seems to be at odds.  He practices linearly with gates made of tees. When he putts without the gates he aims to the high point, which is a nonlinear move, while saying it is a straight putt to the high point, which is another linear move.  For linear putters, the aiming point would be left of the high point.  It is the same for nonlinear putters, but they know they want it to roll over that high spot so they start further left.  Based on what he does it would seem that he would be likely to miss beneath the hole.

He also mentions being left eye dominant, which I am, and that using center shafts, straight shafts or very small shaft lean is preferable.  Yet, his Odyssey 7 appears to have a full shaft offset.  I remember reading that same advice years ago and used center-shafted putters forever, but never showed any improvement.

I liked his ending drill, practicing left to right putts, and then right to left and having them stop beyond the hole, but less than 2' past.

Jeff

MondoJ

Re: Lee Janzen putting special 12/16/14
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
I asked Lee on Twitter about the shaft in his no 7, he said that he uses A slight bend in shaft that the bend he uses works better for left eye dominance if it's close to the face.

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
Maybe the offset works for another reason besides eye dominance.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

MondoJ

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
You mean flow?

Clemsonfan

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:43:06 AM »
I asked Lee on Twitter about the shaft in his no 7, he said that he uses A slight bend in shaft that the bend he uses works better for left eye dominance if it's close to the face.

Thanks for the follow-up!  I will have to review this show if I haven't erased it.  Could have sworn it was a stock #7!

Jeff