Author Topic: Yips article in New Yorker  (Read 2127 times)

Will Par

Yips article in New Yorker
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
I very seldom post in golf forums anymore, but I ran across this article recently and immediately knew it needed to be posted on PT.  Hope everyone finds it as interesting as I did.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/05/26/the-yips

You have to be realistic about putting, and accept the fact that you're probably never going to putt as well as you think you ought to.  --Jack Nicklaus

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
Re: Yips article in New Yorker
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Great Post Will Par, where have you been?

Christian has always said yips are rotational. The "speed" yip seems to be a tempo issue. Stroke is too slow. Debbie Crews work has been very influential to me. Especially that a yip can get worse if not addressed.

The toughest part for me is the difference of the mechanical yip and the mental yip. I am not qualified to say much about the mental side, but I do have some support of my work on the mechanical side.

No simple solution as you can tell from the article. But in support of Will Par's post I would offer this:

We have had success focusing on relating the putter face to the path of the stroke rather than the target line. This goes with  not looking at the ball or putter. The natural stroke rather than a manipulated steer. Open to closed is better than shut to open!!!!!!!!

If you suffer from rotational yips, it helps to get a putter that balances to the parameters of your stroke. Yips are reactionary. either to perception or feel. If the putter is not balanced to your path, you will react.

Excess weight is not a cure. Over time it just exaggerates the problem.

Change how you perform the task is a big help. Tad Moore as shared with me that "face on" putting is the solution for anchored  putting  and can help the yips. Tad is one of the few experts I pay any attention to and after looking at it, I support his ideas.

I have worked personally with Christian ad i am very familiar with the other work referenced in the article. I can tell you for sure while there are experts in what happens there are no experts in providing a solution. No way to tell how a player will react to any given solution. But there are solutions. Just takes some work and understanding of the problem.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:54:26 AM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

j.a.

Re: Yips article in New Yorker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
After reading this article I found the explanation on some of my short putt misses. Many times when I'm stroking smoothly and confident, my hands move as a gearbox when jumps a teeth, then the ball goes left.

That's why I prefer to hit the ball short, stiff and more aggressive on those kind of putts because I feel I have more control, however my coach and fellow players had insisted that I should be relaxed and stroking smoothly but this also bring the yips.