Author Topic: Not sure you will believe this  (Read 4218 times)

deltarocketscientist

Not sure you will believe this
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
Just saw this on the 'bay.  I'm a fan at Bobby Grace putters, actually own a few that I have had great success with.  But this takes the cake, putter must have spent a bunch of time near the Ocean, what he calls "patina", I am pretty sure most would call RUST

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINAL-BOBBY-GRACE-MILLED-HANDMADE-NAPA-8802-PUTTER-MADE-IN-USA-/141353059588?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

jpwb8

Re: Not sure you will believe this
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
Had a car full of 'patina' like that.
Eventually I could see the road through the floor.
Yep, it was 'patina'd all to heck, it was.
Bombora Secrets
Tad Moore Barn Find
Mills One
Acushnet Bullseye (flanged)

game 'em all (well...except the Tad - it's too darn pretty)

Golfluvzme

• Section Moderator
  • The little guy just working harder, ;-)
    • MannKrafted GolfWorks and Custom Milled Putters
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
I saw this detail when I first looked at the auction, but did not comment.  It is raining cats and dogs here in AZ, so I am wandering into areas I normally do not enter.
The putter in that auction is made from a forging, not a "milled from billet" putter head.  Bobby probably did a ton of work on the putter, following the forging process, and THAT is what justified it being called a "Hand Made" putter.  Back in the early 90's, this was a common process.  There were a good number of forging houses willing to make putter heads and it was a great way to get American-made products out of carbon steel at a solid price. 
The giveaway is the raised "BG" on the back of the blade.  Making that mark gave the forging house a means of easily identifying the customer and if he chose to do so, Bobby could have simply sanded that off during his cleaning up of the forging "seams" that were certainly present all the way around the head.
Please, do not see this as a negative in any way.  The putter required a great deal of handwork to become the putter that you see in that auction.  I was fortunate enough to take a few forged putter heads from raw forging all the way to finished putter heads and know exactly what work lay ahead when Bobby picked up this head from his forger.
Great looking piece in that auction and I hope that whoever got it, appreciates that it is a part of putter manufacturing history that should be shared and enjoyed.
LaMont Mann

Huntard

• Let's talk about drivers! I mean putters!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
Here are the pictures once the auction page goes away.

My question is what's the difference between milling from a billet and forging? I understand milling means shaving metals off from a block of metal. What is forging and specifically what is forging in putter making?
Byron Morgan DH89
Odyssey Versa BWB #7