Author Topic: The ol' Tap In on One Foot  (Read 2992 times)

CourtGolf

The ol' Tap In on One Foot
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
We have all missed little tap ins from time to time - those annoying misses usually get written up to not taking our time to give it the mental attention it needed.

I was watching the LPGA Kia Classic over the weekend and saw Karrie Webb do the one foot tap in, which is no big deal by itself, but for some reason I noticed that she steps in with her left foot, and that got me thinking about how I do it - I almost always step in on my right foot, being my dominant side - even though when I set up for a normal putt, the ball is just inside my left heel.

Now I have to try the left foot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:47:48 AM by CourtGolf »
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

razaar

Re: The ol' Tap In on One Foot
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Court, I'd stay with the right foot first  and then the left foot. The reason behind this method of taking a stance is the right foot relates to our position with the golf ball and the left relates to our position with the target. If we do it the other way around we may end up getting our body too far forward of the ball and our alignment suffers. One of the keys to consistant short putting is being more behind the ball.
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella

The man with no aim.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
Ray, I think I'm reading this a different way, was the lady in question standing on one foot or two whilst, performing said act....

Errrrr..  Sorry kinda lost which forum I was on there for a moment but, I think my question is still relevant

Regards
T
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

originalgaffputters

• www.originalgaffputters.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
Court, I'd stay with the right foot first  and then the left foot. The reason behind this method of taking a stance is the right foot relates to our position with the golf ball and the left relates to our position with the target. If we do it the other way around we may end up getting our body too far forward of the ball and our alignment suffers. One of the keys to consistant short putting is being more behind the ball.
Could you expand on you comment " one of the keys to consistent short putting is being more behind the ball"
JC
www.originalgaffputters.com
Toe-Shafted
303 stainless steel
CNC machined
Milled / Polished face
0 degree or 3 degree loft
Lie angles 65 to 72 degrees
Shaft lengths available up to 37 inches
Head weights 325 grams, 335 grams
Made in Michigan
contact info@originalgaffputters.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
No - you're right, T. 

The post is about those short putts we make on one foot because a regular stance would cause us to stand in someone's line - but it's too short to mark.  Standing on my right foot opens the shoulders, which, I suppose, makes it possible to push the putt.  Now I'm wondering if using the left foot would square things up and not allow the face to open up....or maybe it's how the eyes see the line....

Which is why I'm throwing it out to you guys for input !
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

The man with no aim.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
Technically, I think you need Bruce on this one but, I'm not entirely sure this is something many would practice, I have practised one handed putting, chipping with my feet together but, not one legged putting.
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

razaar

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
Ray, I think I'm reading this a different way, was the lady in question standing on one foot or two whilst, performing said act....

Errrrr..  Sorry kinda lost which forum I was on there for a moment but, I think my question is still relevant

Regards
T
Yep you are right. We need to be solid on the target leg because the centre of rotation in the golfbswing is the target shoulder.  Webb balancing on the left leg would be a carryover thing from her golf swing. No good player has their weight on their trail leg at impact on normal golf shots. That's how I see it.
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella

Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
It seems that there are mostly older threads, I'm not certain if the custom here is to start new or add to the old but . . .

A variety of what I would tell my players, if you can't make it on your left or your right or standing on your head, mark it and back away.