Author Topic: A couple of 8802 questions  (Read 3416 times)

Manbearpig99

A couple of 8802 questions
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I have 4 8802 putters.  2 90's remakes, 1 black chrome, and 1 '64 8802(thanks to a member here).

My first question is about the '90's remakes.  The stamping is different on the sole of each of them.  1 is a lot deeper stamping.  Can anybody tell me why that might be?  They both have the rubber Wilson grip and the shafts are the same(no shaftband on either).

My second question is about the black chrome.  I think it is black chrome and not black paint, however after looking at the 8802 guide here on PT I have a question.  My putter has a stepless fluted shaft, and the guide says that the painted version had this shaft and not the chrome version.  There is not a shaft band and the grip has been changed.  The previous owner changed the grip, and he said that it had the leather grip with the flags endcap.

Hopefully that made sense, any help will be appreciated.

Chris

Manbearpig99

Re: A couple of 8802 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
One other quick observation.  When looking at the face of each of the putters.  The deeper stamped 90's 8802 has the roundness on the toe as the '64.  The black chrom is more round(if that makes sense) and the other 90's remake has a more square toe when looking at the face.

Chris

Manbearpig99

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
From top to bottom:  thin stamped remake, deep stamped remake, '64, and finally black chrome.

Chris

putterclub

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:38 AM »
Chris,

I am pretty sure that is definitely a black chrome 8802, just the black is wearing thin. I would think it is the original shaft I have seen the black versions come with both shafts, the fluted and the 6in stepped head speed.

As for the chrome ones, the I have seen so many different remakes with different stamps that its becoming very difficult to tell what is a 1960s version and what is a remake, especially when looking at photos on auction sites. Its much easier to tell when they are in hand. As for your question why one is deeper it possible that maybe one of the stamps was more worn than the other and therefore didn't leave such a deep imprint.

Manbearpig99

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I know that I only have 1 '64 putter.  I am just wondering if on of the remakes is from the 70's.  The toe shape is really confusing me right now.

Chris

putterclub

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »
I have been collecting 8802s and Palmers for years, and all I have figured out is that there are many different versions of the 8802. Unless it has the original shaft with a tight fit between the hosel and the shaft I won't touch it. Plus the 02's came in different weights the thick heavy ones which people prefer or lights models. I have to see the putter in person and then I can see the grind.

northernpro

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »
all the black chromes that I have seen had a black rubber pistol grip(with chevrons on it)
PGA of Canada Life Class A Member