Author Topic: 2011 Test Putter #3 - LH DH89 Carbon Putter Reviews  (Read 9474 times)

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
2011 Test Putter #3 - LH DH89 Carbon Putter Reviews
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
OK, here's the thread for reviews of the LH DH89. The test panel is as follows:

1 - firemedic679 
2 - sbaker
3 - rickp 
4 - daveb420 
5 - dsipos
6 - jmac13 
7 - gags77

Currently the putter is in Fresno with firemedic679 and sbaker...
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

firemedic679

Re: 2011 Test Putter #3 - LH DH89 Carbon Putter Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
im the first one again.....here we go!

One word to describe this putter, Business!!!

This is my putter! the only thing i would change about the putter is the paintfill color. otherwise its perfect. perfect shape, perfect feel, perfect weight, perfect distance control, perfect look at address. did i say it was perfect!

I was impressed with this putter not because of the look, craftsmanship, head shape. i was impressed because it just works. i dont know if i was just having an abnormal fantastic putting day but i was making everything. short, long, break right, break left it didnt matter and if i missed it wasnt by much. it was literally point and shoot. thats what impressed me about this putter and the #1 reason to buy a Byron Morgan. here is my breakdown:

Craftsmanship: A+ I have had many, many putters and this byron morgan is in a class all its own. i dont know if you can see in the pics but the neck is milled and honestly i had to do a double take to see if the face was even milled. it was so smooth and so fine i had to really look at it. just beautiful!

Finish/Appearance: A+ the finish is top notch. love the matte black. the yellow sight line was a nice touch but i would probably change the neon green paintfill. but its just color and you can do whatever you want. it didnt affect performance at all. the head shape was made for me. im kind of bored with the same ol plumbers neck for every lefty i see so i would probably do a different neck but otherwise putter is very business like and has gamer written all over it. 

Feel/Distance/Control: A++ Honestly best putter ive ever stroked as far as distance control and feel. little clicky sound but you knew and could feel when you hit it right in the sweet spot. as i said above, pure gamer, just point and shoot. not much else to say

Head cover/Grip: A/C the HC was the black sally one. best one i think. The grip was a black leather. i really didnt like this grip. felt a bit too tacky/sticky to my liking. i would put an Iomic on it. 

Overall: A overall this is a fantastic putter. amazing craftsmanship and finish. pace and speed as well as control were top notch. love everything about it. might just be the perfect putter for me.

I hope my honest and candid review was helpful for those on the fence or thinking about making the purchase. i highly recommend getting in on a test panel to make sure the putter is right for you. thanks for reading.
Greg D.
putterhead #0403

nvgolfdude

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
Thank you for all the compliments and the great review.  So, are you ready to order one up?  Carbon or GS?  I'm ready when you are!  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
RickP, what's that status of this putter?
nvgolfdude@live.com

rickp

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
I have not received it yet?

Rick

nvgolfdude

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
I have not received it yet?

Tracking info requested from sbaker.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
Found it...  In Secaucus, NJ  ::)   Should arrive in CT tomorrow.  :D
nvgolfdude@live.com

sbaker

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:18 AM »
I made a joke with Dave that the putter was damage and I need to know how much I needed to pay,it was that good.

Looks
It has that nice classic look we all like.I like how Byron softens looks to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Finish
The finish was nice I like the matt finish.I might choose a different paint fill.But thats what makes ordering your putter the way you want a great experience.

Feel
It has a nice crisp feel to it.I have used other carbon steel putters and they were to soft for me.

Distance Control
I feel this is were the putter shines,it was perfect.Lining up the putter was very easy also.I felt like get it lined up and it is going in or at worst you have a tap in.

Grip
It was different than what I am used to.I like a basic rubber grip.

Overall
What more to say but mine will have some different stamping,and will be a matt blue oil.I will be playing in the MAGA state tournament at the beginning of September with it.If you like this type of putter look no futher.

Scott

nvgolfdude

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Scott, thank you for your concise review of this test putter.  Now that you have one of these on order, we look forward to hearing how your personal DH89 performs for you.   :D
nvgolfdude@live.com

rickp

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:56 AM »
First I want to thank Byron and Dave for giving us left handers a chance at trying quality top line putters.

Not quite sure where to start so here goes.

Everything I have seen of Byron Morgan's work has been exceptional and this DH 89 is no exception.
The craftsmanship, appearance, finish is beautiful, really is.  Head cover is really nice and matches the head well.  The grip was a little large for me so I did struggle with it a little bit, but it was also top quality.  AA score on all the above.

On the course the feel, distance & control was all excellent.  I sank a good number of 10'-12' but for some reason struggled with a couple of 3'?  I do believe another week with this gem that could be solved, or just changing out the grip for a smaller one.

Overall this is a great looking piece and a blue collar workhorse.  I could see one in my bag.

Thanks again guys.

It's off to Dave this morning!!!
Rick

dsipos

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
Wheres the putter now?
905r 9.5 Graphite X 6.0
Titliest 906f4 15.5 & 18.5 with Graphite X
Adams Pro Gold  4
AP2 5 - GW
Vokey 56& 60
TBD

JMac13

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
It arrived in Alabama Tuesday afternoon. I will get out and give in a good test this weekend.
☮ ♥ & Calif☠rnia Flatsticks

Byron Morgan DaKine Radz
Byron Morgan CI-18 Proto
Byron Morgan DaKine-18
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 First off
Byron Morgan Mixed Metal Stubby DH-89

JMac13

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »
Looking at the batting order, I'm not sure why it came to me first.  ??? I'll see if Dave wants me to send it your way next.

Byron Morgan DaKine Radz
Byron Morgan CI-18 Proto
Byron Morgan DaKine-18

dsipos

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
Looking at the batting order, I'm not sure why it came to me first.  ??? I'll see if Dave wants me to send it your way next.

Thanks partner. Not sure why this happened again........had the same issue with the Bombora.
905r 9.5 Graphite X 6.0
Adams Pro Gold  4
AP2 5 - GW
Vokey 56& 60
TBD

nvgolfdude

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
Sorry guys.  I reset the order, but I did not post the updated sequence.

The remaining testers in order are jmac13, dsipos, and gags77.
nvgolfdude@live.com

dsipos

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
Any idea where the putter is now?
905r 9.5 Graphite X 6.0
Adams Pro Gold  4
AP2 5 - GW
Vokey 56& 60
TBD

nvgolfdude

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
Any idea where the putter is now?

Should be on its way from North AL to you...
nvgolfdude@live.com

JMac13

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Sorry for the delay on my review... volleyball season has been keeping me busy.

I was able to get out for a few practice sessions and a couple of 9 hole rounds.

First, just a quick comparison to my old Scotty Newport Gunblue. Looking from address they look a lot alike, but taking a closer look, there are subtle differences. The length and depth are very close, but the DH-89's cavity has been milled much deeper to create a thinner face in the sweetspot. The weight from the cavity has been redistributed to create a beefier flange and bumpers. I assume this distribution equates to the added forgiveness in the putter.

As far as feel goes, the DH-89 was a little more crisp, but I feel this was due to the face thickness being a good bit thinner than the Cameron. However, this allowed more feedback for slightly off center hits. I preferred the weight and balance of the DH-89 being a little heavier as well.

From a performance standpoint, I felt my accuracy and distance control was slightly improved with the DH-89. This says a lot considering my Cameron has received a good bit of bag time this year.

Quality of both the milling and finish were exactly what I have come to expect with Byron putters. All in all, I believe the DH-89 with a sight dot and rincon neck will be my next Byron purchase.

Byron Morgan DaKine Radz
Byron Morgan CI-18 Proto
Byron Morgan DaKine-18

dsipos

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
Putter is here in ga with me.
905r 9.5 Graphite X 6.0
Adams Pro Gold  4
AP2 5 - GW
Vokey 56& 60
TBD

nvgolfdude

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

Drew, I will be in the ATL next weekend.  I think that you are the last member of the test panel.  Perhaps we can connect and I bring the putter with me to the Academy (save you the shipping cost of sending it back to me).
nvgolfdude@live.com

DaveB00T

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

nvgolfdude

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »
Dave, thank you for taking the time to post your review.  Let me know if you'd like to give this putter another go.  We are at the end of the list, and I'm happy to send it back your way for a little more bag time before the weather turns.

Congrats your personal news!  Vegas baby!  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com

DaveB00T

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Dave,
I really appreciate the offer, my schedule doesn't offer me much time for golf until end of October.
 ;D

Thank You,
Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

nvgolfdude

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »

Drew, looking forward to hearing from you and to reading your review of the putter.
nvgolfdude@live.com