Author Topic: 2011 Club Byron Mixer - Wednesday the 22nd Trip to Torrey Pines?  (Read 5729 times)

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
Who's in?   8)

Since I don't travel to the west coast often and Huntington Beach is only 2 hours away from Torrey Pines, I decided to extend my stay a bit with the hopes of driving down and playing the morning of Wednesday the 22nd.  I wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in joining.

I changed my travel plans and will be arriving on the afternoon of Tuesday the 21st, and will also have a rental car.  Anyone who wants to go is more than welcome to ride along.  I'll be staying at the Hilton Waterfront.

Please post here if you're interested! 

Also, for anyone that has experience getting a tee time and playing Torrey as an out-of-towner, feel free to post up your experience and any tips that would be helpful.

reflog74

Re: 2011 Club Byron Mixer - Wednesday the 22nd Trip to Torrey Pines?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »
I did it as an out of towner, without any hotel connection.  Showed up at 5 am and put our bags in the queue.  We were about 10th in line.  When the window opened and we got our turn to pay, we were the first ones who wanted to play the South Course.  The locals all wanted to play the North.  First group out at 7 a.m.  IIRC, it was a Wednesday in October.

Have fun!

John 

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?

C'mon guys...we're talking Torrey Pines here!  Who wants to go?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Zack, send PM's to lightningbolt444, JCL, foreleft53, vikingnorway, waddman, and dfabilene.  I'm sure that you can get 4-some from the group to make the trip down with you.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

yoshiod9

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
I'm contemplating the idea-- I just don't want to be late for the get together, that's all.  Haha.  Plus, I REALLY don't want to drive down to Torrey.  The 5 through the OC is gonna be packed. 
Daniel

preacher

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
Dang, if it was Thursday I could have joined but I won't be in OC till Wed. afternoon. Sounds like fun, enjoy.

--jason

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
I'm contemplating the idea-- I just don't want to be late for the get together, that's all.  Haha.  Plus, I REALLY don't want to drive down to Torrey.  The 5 through the OC is gonna be packed. 

We can go early.  And I'm sorry, but I'm not using the traffic as an excuse to NOT play Torrey Pines :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

We can go early.  And I'm sorry, but I'm not using the traffic as an excuse to NOT play Torrey Pines :)

I wouldn't apologize if I were you! :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

yoshiod9

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »

Lol.  Just wait for that traffic, Thaddy!  Without traffic it's only a 1.5 hour drive-- depending on how severe the traffic is, it can be upwards of 3 hours.

I once drove from LAX to Anaheim (about 30 miles) and it took me 7 hours.   I'm a bay area guy and am used to traffic but L.A. traffic is RIDICULOUS.
Daniel

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:59:09 PM »
Well I'm planning on leaving pretty early Wednesday morning...and traffic won't stop me from playing Torrey Pines.  If we're on the road early enough we can get the round in and have plenty of time to make it back to the Shorebreak for the evening activities.

willsnope

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

Lol.  Just wait for that traffic, Thaddy!  Without traffic it's only a 1.5 hour drive-- depending on how severe the traffic is, it can be upwards of 3 hours.

I once drove from LAX to Anaheim (about 30 miles) and it took me 7 hours.   I'm a bay area guy and am used to traffic but L.A. traffic is RIDICULOUS.

if your not staying near LA this wouldnt be an issue.  HB to Torrey should be an alright drive, and like Thaddy said the drive is nothing compared to getting to play Torrey

foreleft53

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:10 AM »
I'm a California maybe. 
I'd love to play, but I have to see how my PTO is looking.

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
Hmm, not a lot of interest in a trip to Torrey Pines :(  I'd like to call and make a tee time for a single, as I really want to make sure I get on the course, however I don't want to exclude anyone from going by doing so!

yoshiod9

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
I'm still debating on if I can foot the bill for Torrey. :/
Daniel

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
How much is Torrey on a Wednesday morning?
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

yoshiod9

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 05:25:32 PM »
I think it's still $183.  A bit expensive. 

EDIT:  Yeah, the South is $100 and the North is $183.

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/reservations/fees.shtml
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:30:51 PM by yoshiod9 »
Daniel

yoshiod9

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
Oops.  Edit that previous statement to say that the North is $100 and the South is $183.  Sorry!
Daniel

Janky

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
Im In on going to Torrey South.....   Do it a couple times a year and its worth every penny!

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
Im In on going to Torrey South.....   Do it a couple times a year and its worth every penny!

We've got a twosome!  Can't wait :)

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 03:25:11 PM »
Just wanted to toss out another invite, since we're 2 months away.  Right now Janky and myself are planning on heading down to Torrey for 18.  Anyone else want to join?

We'll be leaving the Huntington Beach area quite early Wednesday morning and should be back for the Wednesday reception with time to spare.