Author Topic: Mixer Golf Courses  (Read 22612 times)

nvgolfdude

Mixer Golf Courses
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
Options for Wednesday & Thursday
Mile Square - close by, 2 courses
Green River - preferred rates from a PT and Club Byron member who is the golf professional
Black Gold - tough layout, target golf, firm, fast greens

Of course if you want to assemble a group and make the drive to San Diego, Torrey Pines awaits you.  8)

Friday/Saturday Golf
Meadowlark (Friday - this is a done deal!) - Old School golf.  Hit it straight, gotta be able to chip and putt.

Saturday Possibilities - Los Serranos, Coyote Hills, Black Gold - I suggest Coyote Hills.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
Re: Mixer Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
Dave, even tough Thursday is the designated shop day we'll still be able to get a round in, right?  I'm not able to play Wednesday and and Saturday (due to flight times) but was hoping I'd be able to get out Thursday and Friday.

As the east coaster there to enjoy myself, I'll tag along wherever the group decides to play :)

lightningbolt444

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »
Dave, even tough Thursday is the designated shop day we'll still be able to get a round in, right?  I'm not able to play Wednesday and and Saturday (due to flight times) but was hoping I'd be able to get out Thursday and Friday.

As the east coaster there to enjoy myself, I'll tag along wherever the group decides to play :)

Thats how I feel as well I will play wherever. I also will not be able to play Wed ( going to a dodgers game) or Sat (wife has something planned :( ) but cant wait for Thursday and Friday

MannKrafted Hot Rod
MannKrafted Custom Rattler
Bettinardi Half Moon BB-0
Bettinardi Studio Stock 5
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

nvgolfdude

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »
Thursday shop time will be split into morning and afternoon groups.  If your shop time is in the morning, we'll set up golf for afternoon.  If your shop time is in the afternoon, we'll have morning golf for you.  Make sense?
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

lightningbolt444

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
Thursday shop time will be split into morning and afternoon groups.  If your shop time is in the morning, we'll set up golf for afternoon.  If your shop time is in the afternoon, we'll have morning golf for you.  Make sense?

Sounds good to me I am easy :)
MannKrafted Hot Rod
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

J.Heinrichs

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
I work at Meadowlark. Wish I had a Byron to mix with you guys, mine is comin in about a week. :)

waddman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:16:49 PM »
I just met a guy that claimed Black Gold is a can't-miss.  My number two would be Coyote Hills, w/Los Serranos a distant third.  I enjoyed the track at Los Serranos, but the fact that the tee was 30 minutes behind and the 8 billion people playing it left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth. 

Also, I'm not sure how far of the coast these courses are, but the further inland you go in June, the hotter it gets. Just something to think about.
Gamer-Byron Morgan 611 SS Prototype
Byron Morgan 006 raw carbon
Byron Morgan DH89x Mini
Byron Morgan Bombora Black Oxide
Byron Morgan Bombora Rockpile Blue Oil
SC Custom Coronado

Pure745

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
Depending on how far you want to drive.. Talega is a great track, Tustin Ranch, Industry Hills is MINT right now (LPGA event being held there), Talega is one of my favorites for the money right now, as is Black Gold.

jlevitt9

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »
Depending on how far you want to drive.. Talega is a great track, Tustin Ranch, Industry Hills is MINT right now (LPGA event being held there), Talega is one of my favorites for the money right now, as is Black Gold.

Tai, I'm not sure how we're (you especially since I'm a noob) are not pushing hard for Tustin Ranch. Best greens around + always manicured well. Plus, it's maybe 20-25 minutes from Huntington, whereas Talega, Black Gold (F that place  ;D ) and Industry are 45 are so away. Bet if we played Thursday we could get a great rate. Maybe something to look into?

Josh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:05:51 PM by jlevitt9 »
Cameron Select 2.7 with character
Morgan DH-89

Cameron Goodfellas - Filthy Bear, Panda, Honey Squirrel, Jason Gordito

Pure745

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
Yeah TR during the week would be good.. probably one of my favorites of all courses listed in the OC.  I'll check into it, I think I'm still a member there lol.

The weekend, it's way overpriced and crowded.

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 01:59:14 AM »
Who's playing Wednesday?
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »
Who's playing Wednesday?

So far I'll be in-processing Wed. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hope you have a great time!

@#$@%#&%%# I have to work and they get to $@%#^$ play, them #$$%@$#$,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sorry!!!
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

yoshiod9

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
I'm in for a Wed. round.  I'm heading down on Tuesday and will stay through Monday.
Daniel

waddman

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »
I will probably be coming down Tuesday as well.  I wouldn't mind driving farther if we can arrange something at a nicer course either. (Torrey Pines?)
Byron Morgan DH89x Mini
SC Custom Coronado

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
Is anyone considering driving down to Torrey Pines on Wednesday to play?  I'm seriously considering flying out a day earlier on Tuesday with the hopes of playing Torrey on Wednesday, but would like to go with someone else.  I hope it's still possible to get a tee time...

I'm coming from Pittsburgh, so I'd really like to play Torrey Pines since I'm not on the west coast often.

waddman

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
Is anyone considering driving down to Torrey Pines on Wednesday to play?  I'm seriously considering flying out a day earlier on Tuesday with the hopes of playing Torrey on Wednesday, but would like to go with someone else.  I hope it's still possible to get a tee time...

I'm coming from Pittsburgh, so I'd really like to play Torrey Pines since I'm not on the west coast often.
I would definitely be interested in a trip down to Torrey.  I think they have some tee times that are set aside for walk ons.  I know thats how it used to be.  Somewhat like Bethpage
Byron Morgan DH89x Mini
SC Custom Coronado

nvgolfdude

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
I think that it would be great for a group to go down to Torrey on Wednesday.  Be sure to have a morning tee time so that you are back in HB in time for the reception.  It's about a 2 hour +/- drive between HB and Torrey, more if the traffic is bad.  You'll want to get on the road back to HB by 3:00 p.m.
nvgolfdude@live.com

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »
I'll be in HB on Wednesday, but I'm sticking around town for a round of golf. Trying to avoid more car time after my drive down the night before.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

Pure745

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
I'll be in HB on Wednesday, but I'm sticking around town for a round of golf. Trying to avoid more car time after my drive down the night before.

I might be able to join you for a round.  SD is farther than I want to drive :)

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »

Sounds good. We can compare Scratch irons and wedges, Titleist woods, white bags, and Byron putters!
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

Pure745

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »

Sounds good. We can compare Scratch irons and wedges, Titleist woods, white bags, and Byron putters!

LOL!  There's probably a lot more differences than one would think :)

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »
Torrey is 2+ hours away?  Hmm, I might have to think about that, but I'd still like to come early and play Wednesday.  Either way, I'll be bringing my Scratch irons and wedges  8)

preacher

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
I'm in for golf Thursday and Friday. Whatever you guys choose work for me but I would prefer to stay somewhat close to OC? I'll be staying with family in Brea.

--jason

Pure745

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
My top 3 picks:

Tustin Ranch
Talega
Black Gold

The pics are in order corresponding to each course:

JCL

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
I should be flying out on the 21st so I will be looking to play somewhere  Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat.  I'll probably stay around Huntington Beach though for all rounds.

John

HULL17RW

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
The two Navy courses in Cypress in which Earl would bring Tiger to play are now both open to the public and very affordable.

http://www.navygc.com/

Kevin
HULL17RW
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:16:45 PM by HULL17RW »
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

foreleft53

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
Here are some other course that we should consider.
I'm not sure of everyones price range.... 
Aliso Viejo Golf Club 
Oak Creek Golf Club 
Strawberry Farms Golf Course
Talega Golf Club
Tijeras Creek Golf Course
Tustin Ranch Golf Club

What are your thoughts?

jlevitt9

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Here are some other course that we should consider.
I'm not sure of everyones price range.... 
Aliso Viejo Golf Club 
Oak Creek Golf Club 
Strawberry Farms Golf Course
Talega Golf Club
Tijeras Creek Golf Course
Tustin Ranch Golf Club

What are your thoughts?

Only one I would be against would be Strawberry, and that's because the course is not worth the cost. It looks like they want $110 primetime weekdays. Talega is a better course and charges $80 primetime weekdays. However, Talega is at the very south end of OC, so those staying in Huntington would need to drive 30-40 minutes.

Arroyo Trabuco would be another good choice! About the same quality as Talega and a nice price point weekdays at $68 primetime.

I hope I am not stepping on any toes here with my opinions. I recognize I'm a newbie to the Byron scene but have played golf in OC all my life, so feel like my thoughts may add at least a little value.  :D

Cameron Select 2.7 with character
Morgan DH-89

Cameron Goodfellas - Filthy Bear, Panda, Honey Squirrel, Jason Gordito

Pure745

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
Agree with Josh.. those courses are my top picks .

nvgolfdude

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
Hi guys, I appreciate all of the discussion and great ideas.  Please keep in mind that the logistics are pretty complicated between individual travel schedules, individual budgets, other Mixer activities, and people's families (more on this later).  Here's the deal on golf as of now.  It can and probably will change...

Sounds to me like on Wednesday we'll have a couple of groupings -  those who want to go to Torrey, and those who want play locally.  Mile Square was quite popular last year, I have an offer from Black Gold, and there are other great locations being suggested.  The Torrey group is on their own as far as transportation and tee times.  If I weren't running the show, I'd be going to Torrey.  ;)   I will set up the golf for those who want to play near HB.

Thursday, our first Official Day of the Mixer, golf will most likely be at Mile Square due to its proximity to the shop (15 minutes max).  There will be morning groups and an afternoon groups.  Which group you are in will depend on when you are arriving, and when you are scheduled in the shop with Byron.  Byron will NOT be playing golf on Thursday.

Friday, we are planning for Meadowlark with morning tee times.

Saturday, location TBD.  We have an invitation to play Green River, but I am looking into other places like Aliso Viejo, Los Serranos and Oak Creek.  Saturday is tougher to book morning times, and again we are trying for morning tee times.  After playing Green River I think that it is very playable for most any level of golfer, and the drive wasn't too bad from HB.  I'm open to any good ideas, but want you to know the things that are part of selecting the right place, and as I mentioned in another thread the golf pro at Green River is a Club Byron and PT member...

I am open to alternatives and assistance from the locals, but I'd prefer to take those discussions off line as it will create confusion to work it out on here.  Tai, if you've got connections at Tustin Ranch, lets talk.  Dat, if you can help with Aliso Viejo call me. 

Also, keep in mind that we are planning for group dinner reservations in HB each night, Wednesday night is the reception (6:00-8:00 pm) followed by group dinner, and I'm pretty sure that Friday night we are having a bonfire on the beach organized by the Shorebreak.   

One last thing, we have a number of the guys coming from out of town are bringing SWMBO and family...  There will probably be some wives playing golf (I know of at least 2).   8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

preacher

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
Like I posted earlier, I am OK with any of the mentioned courses. I believe it is worth saying that there are some out of state Byron guys coming to the outing so try to choose courses that don't penalize non-California residents with the rate differences :)

--jason

nvgolfdude

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
Like I posted earlier, I am OK with any of the mentioned courses. I believe it is worth saying that there are some out of state Byron guys coming to the outing so try to choose courses that don't penalize non-California residents with the rate differences :)

--jason

Jason, we are very, very budget conscious when it comes to golf.  We want you to have $$ for putters  ;) , and we recognize that many of us are incurring considerable travel expense to get to HB and stay in HB.  We got some GREAT deals on golf last year, and I am working on the same for this year.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

preacher

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
Awesome Dave! I certainly don't mind $100 to play around at a nice course. I just don't like seeing: XXX res $60, non XXX res $225. Just doesn't sit well with me.

--jason

lightningbolt444

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
Awesome Dave! I certainly don't mind $100 to play around at a nice course. I just don't like seeing: XXX res $60, non XXX res $225. Just doesn't sit well with me.

--jason

I agree with the amount of choices we have (or so it seems) I dont really want to see it go over the 125 or so range but I am easy and know we are in good hands. I will play anywhere at pretty much any price point just putting my thoughts in on the subject.  I hope I can move some things around to be able to hit Torrey on Wed.
MannKrafted Hot Rod
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

nvgolfdude

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »

--jason

Out most expensive round last year was $85/player - Oak Creek.
nvgolfdude@live.com

willsnope

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »

--jason

Out most expensive round last year was $85/player - Oak Creek.
I might have an "in" at tijeras that would include lunch and would be fair priced.  Just need to make sure it's something to look into

nvgolfdude

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
nvgolfdude@live.com

yoshiod9

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
Can't wait, Dave!  I'm hoping that I can bring a decent game (sub 10 index) out to the Mixer this year!  Haha. 

I'll be down in HB on Tuesday-- if anyone wants to get together for a round, let me know!
Daniel

Janky

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »
For those of you I havent had the pleasure of getting to know yet,  I look forward to it!   

I am local... Long Beach area,  and i am setting aside as much of that week as I can.    If anybody comes into town early and wants someone to play with, just give me a holler.   

Thaddy and I are going to play Torrey Pines South Wed morning,  and all are welcome, but Im game for Tues and all the mixer days!

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Anyone is more than welcome to join Janky and I at Torrey Pines.  It's going to be a very early morning, but it will be worth it!

nvgolfdude

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
nvgolfdude@live.com

lightningbolt444

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
Anyone is more than welcome to join Janky and I at Torrey Pines.  It's going to be a very early morning, but it will be worth it!

I am still trying to work the schedule so I can make it  :)
MannKrafted Hot Rod
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

lightningbolt444

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
I am in for Torrey on Wed :)
MannKrafted Hot Rod
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
I dont care what/were! I can make it if there is room left!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janky

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Were just one short of a Byron 4-some at Torrey South on Wed morning.....    Whose stepping up???   

Yes its expensive... and you will be asked to leave at 4 in the morning,  but have you seen that place?    :o

dans4fun

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »
 :)

Sorry TJ.  Everythings all booked up.  Why did you wait so long?

Dan

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Does this mean that you'll be there?

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:07 AM »
:)

Sorry TJ.  Everythings all booked up.  Why did you wait so long?

Dan

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Does this mean that you'll be there?

Yes sir! I was asked to delay my trip, I could not figure out why it sounded good, then I came and checked during one of my breaks and VIOLA!

Thaddy

• Putterhead #0277
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
So far the guys headed to Torrey will be Janky, lightningbolt444, and myself.  We're expecting to leave the Huntington Beach area around 4:30, making a pit stop in Laguna Beach.  It'll be an early morning...but oh so worth it :)

T.J., you in?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
I have not heard from about half you with regard to golf.  I really need to know about Friday and Saturday very soon.  We have to firm things up with the courses for those days.  As a reminder, Friday and Saturday will be our big golf outings where we are all together at the golf courses.

Friday - Arroyo Trabuco in Mission Viejo starting at 9:00 a.m.
Saturday - Meadowlark in Huntington Beach starting at 8:30 a.m. - putting contest, prizes, and BBQ after the round.

Please email me ASAP.  Thanks.  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com