Author Topic: 2011 Test Panel #2 - Short Pipe Bombora  (Read 14170 times)

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
2011 Test Panel #2 - Short Pipe Bombora
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
The Bombora was THE putter of 2010, released in March at the inaugural Club Byron Mixer in Huntington Beach.  When you order a custom Bombora, your putter receives a great deal of Byron's hand work to produce the finished product.  The flexibility of the design allows Byron to totally customize these putters.  They can be RH or LH, custom neck, custom shaping, head weight, toe-hang, along with all of the usual customizations (loft, lie, stamping, finish, paint fill, shaft, and grip).  IMO, every Byron enthusiast should have a Bombora in their rotation.

OK, this putter was originally scheduled to make its testing circuit in 2010.  However, because the first two Bombora testers took so long to make their way around the test groups and my little health setback, this one has been waiting...  :-\   So, here it is ready to make its debut in 2011.

Here is the list of Putterheads who signed up to test this putter:

jls6
heartgrad
waddman
excalibur
adj81231
howeber
jchop

If you are on this list please confirm that you still want to roll this carbon, short round neck Bombora by either posting here or sending me a PM.

We have room for at least one more panelist (more openings if anyone drops out, and I expect that a couple of people will).  If you'd like to participate, either send me a PM or an email - nvgolfdude@live.com.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:49:07 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

howeber

Re: 2011 Test Panel #2 - Short Pipe Bombora
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
Still in!

nvgolfdude

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

Here is the updated list of Putterheads signed up to test this putter:

jls6
heartgrad
waddman
excalibur
adj81231
howeber
jchop
eviltwin

We are still waiting for confirmations from the folks here, but we added one tester...  If you'd like to participate, either send me a PM or an email - nvgolfdude@live.com.

nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:45 AM »
OK, looks like we are starting over on this group.  So far, we have three gents sign up:

howeber
eviltwin
timastyle

5 spots remaining...  Hop on board!

If you'd like to roll a Bombora either send me a PM or an email - nvgolfdude@live.com.
nvgolfdude@live.com

HandmadeFan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
that putter looks great, if only i didn't live so far away .........Ireland lol

nvgolfdude

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »
And we have a 4th...

howeber
eviltwin
timastyle
rrkman

4 spots remaining...  Jump in, the water's fine!  ;)

If you'd like to roll a Bombora either send me a PM or an email - nvgolfdude@live.com.
nvgolfdude@live.com

rrkman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
We'll see about that 4th guy.  I have a feeling I might end up with my own before then.  ;)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
We'll see about that 4th guy.  I have a feeling I might end up with my own before then.  ;)

You might be #2 on the list in terms of sequence... 
nvgolfdude@live.com

timastyle

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
Can't wait to get this putter in hand a week from Saturday.  Going to be a pleasure to try this out.  If it's half as good as you say it is Dave, I will probably end up with one...
Byron Morgan:
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 Brushed Stainless with Plow neck (formerly a short pipe high polish blue oil as in my avatar)

Xenon:
Handmade Xenon Damascus Stainless (gamer)

Nead:
On order Albz

dans4fun

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »
 :)
Dave,

Aren't you going to Ireland this spring?  What a way to hand deliver a test putter.  Talk about customer service/tax write off.

We have to start talking about ordering that Bombora.  Send me a note. 

How's the pup/pups doing?  The kids will never forgive me for not getting that dog at XMas.  Probably won't be the last thing they don't forgive me about.

Dan

nvgolfdude

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »
:)
Dave,

Aren't you going to Ireland this spring?  What a way to hand deliver a test putter.  Talk about customer service/tax write off.

We have to start talking about ordering that Bombora.  Send me a note. 

How's the pup/pups doing?  The kids will never forgive me for not getting that dog at XMas.  Probably won't be the last thing they don't forgive me about.

Dan

No trips to Europe this year.  I'll be staying on the left coast in 2011, but very busy with trips to HB, central Washington, Napa, and the like planned.

Now, I'm surprised by the lack of interest in this putter.  If you've not rolled a Bombora and you like a putter with standard offset and toe-hang, you've got to try this stick.  Since getting my Bombora last summer NOTHING has been able to knock it out of the bag.  NOTHING!  I can't believe how good these putters feel and how much confidence I have when setting up to a putt, and they are very pleasing to look at too.
nvgolfdude@live.com

yoshiod9

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Napa?  Let me know, Dave, and we'll get a round in together if you've got time.  There are a lot of us Sacramento-to-Bay-Area guys that wouldn't mind getting together for a round! 
Daniel

timastyle

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
Hey Dave - what is the difference in feel between the short pipe and long pipe version hosels?  Is there a real difference or is it more of an aesthetic thing?

Tony
Byron Morgan:
Byron Morgan GS DH-89 Brushed Stainless with Plow neck (formerly a short pipe high polish blue oil as in my avatar)

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

yoshiod9

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
I don't know if there's a difference in feel, but I'd bet that the difference comes in the toe hang, Tony.  With that long of a neck, I'm sure Byron could make the putter hang at just about any angle.  Haha. 
Daniel

timastyle

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
I'm sure he can yoshiod.  I actually spoke with Dave this morning and it appears that the long pipe also provides some additional weight to the heel of the putter.  There isn't much of a feel difference though.

I have sent in my request to Dave for my order.  Now just waiting to hear back from him.  The suspense is killing me....
Byron Morgan:

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

nvgolfdude

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Hey Dave - what is the difference in feel between the short pipe and long pipe version hosels?  Is there a real difference or is it more of an aesthetic thing?

Tony

It depends on the offset and exact neck placement.  The typical with the short round and a full shaft offset is 4:15, with the long neck it is 3:45-4:00 depending on the offset.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
... I'm sure Byron could make the putter hang at just about any angle.  Haha. 

True that!
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
Adding Corby Serk to the test panel.
nvgolfdude@live.com

timastyle

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 12:06:28 AM »
Dave - I picked up the putter this morning when I got my GS.  I will test it out and report it back.  The putter is beautiful.  I just wish I had picked it up without another putter to give it a fair shot.  Will do my best regardless.

Tony
Byron Morgan:

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

Eviltwin

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »
Wow.. Cant wait to get this one in the mail and try it out.. This putter looks awesome!

nvgolfdude

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Dave - I picked up the putter this morning when I got my GS.  I will test it out and report it back.  The putter is beautiful.  I just wish I had picked it up without another putter to give it a fair shot.  Will do my best regardless.

Tony

Tony, IMO comparison putting often results in the most interesting reviews.  Keep me posted...
nvgolfdude@live.com

invadingcanuck

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »
is there a international list going? way up north here in canada

timastyle

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »
Tony, IMO comparison putting often results in the most interesting reviews.  Keep me posted...

Dave, then I will compare accordingly.  I do have to say that the Bombora looks gorgeous.  Great work of art by Byron.
Byron Morgan:

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

nvgolfdude

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
Timastyle had his days in the SoCal sun with the Short Pipe Bomber, and I'm sure his review will appear here very soon.  He has shipped the putter off to Bargolf and the Academy for some INTENSE scrutiny, from there it goes to the EvilTwin...  :o
nvgolfdude@live.com

Eviltwin

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
Nice!

timastyle

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
I got confirmation that the putter has safely arrived to Bruce.  I will post my review tomorrow.  Sorry.  I have been really busy with everything.

Tony
Byron Morgan:

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

timastyle

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 05:35:18 PM »
Byron Morgan:

Xenon:

Nead:
On order Albz

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
I am getting ready to send this off and the review is about finished. thanks for being patient guys. The seaosn has started for me and my test time has been limited to the evenings.

Another great putter from the man.
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:22:19 PM by bargolf »
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

Eviltwin

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Eviltwin

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Got the putter in the mail today. Thanks Bruce!
Wow.. first impression pulling it out of the cover.. This is just an amazing looking putter.. It really exudes style. By far the nicest Byron I have ever seen. The Tuna milling is pretty sweet too.
I will be taking it out for a spin tomorrow, will try and get the review done this weekend, then ship it on Monday.
I have an order in for a custon Bombora with pocket (Rockpile/Taibora).. having this putter just makes me really excited to get mine!

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »
Go back to your childhood and imitate Jack Nicklaus winning the Masters.
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

Eviltwin

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
Go back to your childhood and imitate Jack Nicklaus winning the Masters.
I was just 15 and remember it well!
Thanks!

nvgolfdude

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
So John, what did you think of the Bombora?
nvgolfdude@live.com

rrkman

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
Showed up on my doorstep today....like any other bryon I've ever seen in person, a very 'easy on the eyes' putter.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
Showed up on my doorstep today....like any other bryon I've ever seen in person, a very 'easy on the eyes' putter.

Randy, after a month are you ready to tell us about this putter?
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »
Anyone else want to try this putter?  Shoot me a PM or email (nvgolfdude@live.com).
nvgolfdude@live.com

rrkman

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »

Randy, after a month are you ready to tell us about this putter?

Yep.  Nice....very nice.

rrkman

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
Dave....hopefully you realized that the previous review was just a joke.  Sorry this is so long-winded but here ya go.  Thanks for the opportunity.

Ok....finally have a chance to write something up.  I didn't want to put ideas into my head so I haven't read the other reviews.....hopefully it isn't too much of the same.

First off - looks.  This thing is beautiful.  The clear grip is interesting and I actually liked the feel of it.  I've had a couple of these sitting around for about a year and getting to try one might just push one onto a gamer.  Byron's finishes might be the best out there.  I'm not sure if he does them or has someone do them....but I love the deep, dark black ox that he gets....and this one is very nice.  The other thing that catches your eye are the mill lines on the back....same with the face.  They just add a touch of class/uniqueness to the putter....and I like it.  So, looks wise, the thing is amazing.  The finish, the milling, the welded neck...everything....just very pleasing to the eye.

So...now you get it in your hands and look down at it.  For many 'blade' style putters, they just seem fragile and too thin...and sometimes they just look too small way down there at the end of the shaft (if that makes sense).  Well, not the case with these.  I'm not sure if it is the thick topline or the 'depth' or what....but this thing has some 'heft' to it.  Certainly made me more comfortable over it.

Performance.  I'm a anser, siteline, plumbers neck kind of guy so visually this isn't that close to what I'd normally use.  Without a siteline, I certainly wasn't as comfortable but my alignment wasn't bad at all.  The putter sat very square and it was fairly easy to 'see' where it was aimed.  The neck was probably the biggest thing for me.  I have a mental block against non-plumber style necks so getting passed that was an issue for me.  And it really was a mental thing because I had no problem getting my hands and the putter in the right spots throughout my stroke....really wasn't as big an issue as I thought.  Feel?  This is also an issue that I always have with no-cavity blades.....just don't ever feel soft enough for me.  This is usually a forgiveness issue so I'll keep these together.  I found this to be a little less forgiving than my DH89 but not much at all.  The sweetspot on this was more than adequate and it produced a very soft feel.
Overall....a very nice putter....and I think it all comes down to the bulk.  I was pleasantly surprised that a putter in this style could feel so 'solid'.   The size/thickness of this putter makes it very playable.  Byron...congrats on another great design.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
Randy, thank you for taking the time post your review of the Short Pipe Bombora.  The compliments and observations are greatly appreciated.  It sounds like you enjoyed your time with the putter.  Stay in touch, and I hope that we get to see you at the US Golf Academy in September.
nvgolfdude@live.com

Nigel

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
Hi Dave,

the Bombora (and your Surf City) arrived yesterday afternoon, so I took it out to the practice green for a quick test, which became a not-so-quick test. The Bombora really does set up nicely. It`s a tad too upright for my stroke, but I`m nothing if not adaptable! It`s a great looking putter and all the work is top notch, especially the neck welding and grinding. It gives the neck a wonderful flow into the body of the putter. The sweet spot was slightly more toward the heel than I expected, but once I found it the putter almost felt like you didn`t hit the ball at all, it`s so incredibly soft. I assume that has to do with both the carbon steel and the deeper tuna milling. I also found it to be a very forgiving putter, much more so that I expected. I did roll a few in pretty quickly and distance control was excellent, so I took it out to the course for a try out. My stroke is a slight arc stroke and I try to keep the face square to the arc (or a tangent thereof) back and forward. The toe hang on this putter felt like it allowed me to really let the stroke flow and was a nice surprise, as I usually have a lot less toe hang in my putters. I managed a nice 69 and had 29 putts, adapting to what is for me a very foreign style of putter in no time flat. This is a VERY balanced putter and swings very very smoothly. I`ll write more later, once I`ve rolled a few more putts with it and given it to a couple of students to try.

Nigel