Author Topic: SuperStroke putter grip  (Read 3737 times)

jimbo20814

SuperStroke putter grip
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »
Hello, I recently installed the SuperStroke putter grip on my Ping G5i Anser. Although I love the grip in it of itself and the stroke it produces, it has completely altered the feel of the ball off the face. Basically it feels like crap, never solid. The G5i series are light to begin with but with the heavy grip, feel is awful. I bought some lead tape today and will give that a try but I'm wondering, does anyone experience the same thing and where the lead tape has helped with the "SuperStroke" problem?

Thanks,
Jim

JimmyGalls

Re: SuperStroke putter grip
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »
I've only tried the putter on a heavier T.P. Mills head.  I feel like the weight needs to be around 350 grams to be playable in my opinion.

I wasn't a fan of the feel/sound as the grip dramatically alters it.  The performance however wasn't bad and the grip definitely works.

I'd suggest trying something with a bit more headweight and maybe a soft insert putter to dull the sound.  Maybe that's why KJ Choi uses an Odyssey Tri Hot #2 with it.
Gamer:  Tour Odyssey Long Neck Raw black series I #1

cnosil

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:34:08 PM »
I just got one yesterday and installed it on a Bobby Grace Amazing Grace putter.  Have been playing around with it on carpet and it feels pretty good.  No complaints about what it does to the putter,  but I was previously using a balance certified weight.

Out of curiosity, what alignment did you settle on.  I tried the three orientations on carpet and have gone with the flat side up, but will wait to make a final decistion until I try it on the green. 

Nash

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
I tried it just today at a shop.

No thanks, not for me.

JimmyGalls

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:30:25 PM »
I just got one yesterday and installed it on a Bobby Grace Amazing Grace putter.  Have been playing around with it on carpet and it feels pretty good.  No complaints about what it does to the putter,  but I was previously using a balance certified weight.

Out of curiosity, what alignment did you settle on.  I tried the three orientations on carpet and have gone with the flat side up, but will wait to make a final decistion until I try it on the green. 

I used it with the flat side facing the hole.
Gamer:  Tour Odyssey Long Neck Raw black series I #1

jimbo20814

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:43:28 AM »
All, putting around on the carpet, the lead tape (10 grams added) seems to have added the original feel back some. But the putting green and then playing will be the true test.

I have the flat side up. Sometimes I put left-hand-low and the flat side facing away from the target feels good to me.

Mr. Doug

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
I tried it for about 5min, and felt like I was putting with a broom.
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for months :::

sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
KJ Choi putts pretty well with a broom then....

Scott
Disclaimer: My opinions, perspectives, view of the facts, and questions are not intended to upset anyone so please don't report me to the moderators or site owner if my posts don't agree with your opinions, perspectives, or view of the facts.

moecat01

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 01:45:31 PM »
Funny, the web site www.superstrokegrip mentions that it's 1.67 inches in diameter, but there's no mention of weight in grams

Mr. Doug

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
No doubt that it works for some people. When I put it on my gamer, I couldn't judge the distance on a putt to save my life.

6 footers went 25'

3 footers went 18"

I was all over the place.

BUT....others swear by it.
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for months :::

jimbo20814

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 02:43:40 PM »
It's pretty heavy. I would say it's about two, closer to three times the weight of a normal putter grip which is around 59 grams.

cnosil

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
Today was my first day on the course with the SuperStroke grip.  Even though I had been using the balance certified system in my other putters,  the weight added by the grip was substantial and altered the overall feeling of the putter.  However,  after 10-15 minutes of practice I was used to the new feel.  I decided that flat side up worked best for me on the practice green so I went with that configuration for the days round. 

In the past, I have had a tendency to focus on the movement of the putter head during my stroke.  However, with the SuperStroke I was easily able to focus on using my hands to move the putter which helped my distance control.  Distance control has been a big problem area for me in the past and I typically leave putts short.  During todays round,  I didn't leave any putts short. 

Overall I am inpressed with the grip and will continue to use it.  Worst case is that I will use it as a training aid to work on my putting stroke.  Biggest problem with the grip is getting the putter out of the bag.  My bag has a dedicated putter slot and individual slots for the woods and irons.  It fits in both areas,  but has a tendency to catch when taking it out of the bag.   

502 to Right

• Aaron Baddeley
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »
I tried it at my local shop and absolutely hated it.  It completely took the feel out of putting and that's a really really bad thing for me.

DDBowdoin

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
The putter grip definately has its purposes and I found that the grip itself, while used during a 2 week period, vastly helped my stroke but I just could not get passed the dead feel it produces on the face.  At the base of the grip there is a considerable gap between the shaft and grip and even though the shaft is punctured by the grip it produces a greal deal of vibration.  I removed the grip on Saturday and yesterday went 36- 41, 77 and my putting felt very solid.

I may throw this grip on an older putter and stick with it on the practice green
Current Putters:

Scotty Cameron TEI3 Newport II - GEO Copper Flame
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #5 - GEO Copper
Yonex Super ADX Forged Blade

MrMulligan

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
i have been thinking about going to the 2thumb or superstroke... but am worried once i take off my existing TPMills stock grip (which i like) it will be damaged enough to not be able to use again. you talk about being able to get this on and off... how do they take grips off without destroying them?

rookie questions i know, but i used to change putters too often and never had to swap one out before.

help appreciated.

ncboiler

• Adios
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
i have been thinking about going to the 2thumb or superstroke... but am worried once i take off my existing TPMills stock grip (which i like) it will be damaged enough to not be able to use again. you talk about being able to get this on and off... how do they take grips off without destroying them?

rookie questions i know, but i used to change putters too often and never had to swap one out before.

help appreciated.

One solution is to pull the existing shaft so you can save the grip that you know you like.  Get a new shaft and you can experiment with the other grip.  IF you don't like it, pull that shaft and re-install the old shaft.

MrMulligan

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
yea i thought of that too, but only one hitch.

no puller... or can it really be done with torch and by hand???

Ive always known a guy at a pro shop, so the one time i swapped shafts, it was free. i have no idea how todo it

ncboiler

• Adios
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
Oh yeah, a little heat and the shaft can be removed by hand.  I use a heat gun but a propane torch or even a gas stove can be used to loosen the epoxy enough to be able to separate the head and shaft.  If you use a torch, don't leave it in one place for too long.

razaar

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
I tried it for about 5min, and felt like I was putting with a broom.
My experience exactly. Horses for courses.
 Following K.J. may yet stuff up the putting strokes of many,many gullible golfers.  :bump:
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella