Author Topic: Esperanza Model from MannKrafted  (Read 6413 times)

Golfluvzme

• The little guy just working harder, ;-)
    • MannKrafted GolfWorks and Custom Milled Putters
Esperanza Model from MannKrafted
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
I was recently asked to do a putter for a foundation that supports a local children's hospital, in a BIG way.  The gentleman who contacted me is one of the top pediatricians in the state and also a golfer, LOL.  He knew me from another site and was very excited to have me do this club for his silent auction.  I was a little more excited, but tried not to let it show,  ;).
Starting with my stock Superstition head, I wanted to create a subtle change, but something that I hadn't already done.  When my last run of heads was done, I went back and did some small changes that allowed me to have 1/4" added to the overall width of the putter, mostly in the flange area.  I decided to aim for a semi-circular mallet and see what developed.  Well, as you can see, I ran out of flange before I made it to semi-circle, but I love the gentle lines and smooth flow that it creates. When mated with the crowned top line and hand-shaped edges at the toe and heel, it just seems to give off a very peaceful air. 
The hosel will be a challenge, as I don't want to create any sharp lines or angles.  I am leaning towards something I have not done, but will have to do some checking with a friend on the use of one of his machines that I do not have, in-house.  I'll keep you posted on how this developes.
As for the name, "Esperanza", it took me some time on that one, as well.  The doctor is in charge of a new part of the hospital that deals primarily with pain management in pediatric cases.  They are stretching the normal limits of medicine and will be using several methods that go outside normal channels, when it comes to the medical field.  While medicated pain management will still be used, they will also be using methods ranging from hypnosis and acupuncture to massage, music, aroma and even pet therapies.  Each in their own special way, these integrative techniques help minimize pain, decrease stress and serve as a distraction for ill and injured children.  To me, this is what "HOPE" is all about.  You see, "Esperanza" translates to "Hope" and there cannot be a more suitable name for the creation of this putter, IMHO.
Let me know what you think of this new look and thanks to all who's support and encouragement has allowed me to continue in this endeavor.
LaMont in AZ
MannKrafted GolfWorks

golferoz

Re: Esperanza Model from MannKrafted
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
Nice handwork LaMont!  Really smoothes the lines of the original putterhead to create a whole new look.  As for the hosel, are you thinking something short and stubby?  Something minimalist would keep the attention on the clubhead.  Maybe an over-the-hosel?

Pretty work.  Good luck with the auction.  Hope it raises a lot!
Oz

BTW, I haven't seen the Superstition model on your site.  I like the looks of that a lot.  Do you have any pics anywhere of finished putters??
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:36:08 AM by golferoz »

Golfluvzme

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Oz,
Thanks for that note.  I am leaning towards a neck that is a first for me, a socket-style with a shaft into the hosel set-up.  Do a smooth flowing transition into the main part of the neck and give it some offset.  I have a few stubbys here in the shop and tried a few, just for looks, this morning.  Something about the length of the head, maybe, threw it off a bit when the neck is too short.
Still in the planning stages, need to work quickly, though.
As for the Superstition, you won't see that model offered on my site, as a stock putter.  As part of my agreement with SSB, I committed that head-style, along with the Weavers Needle and KamelBack to the line-up over at Sunset Beach.  They are now the "Carolina", "Hatteras" and "KittyHawk", respectively.  Same millings, same material, just different names and place to order them from.
I'll keep you all posted on the neck decision and thanks again for posting in my thread.
LaMont in AZ

jballmn

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
Good looking putter LaMont, even better cause you're supporting. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

How're the Sanford projects coming along? Check your email :)

Kilmidyke

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
That is really good looking Lamont!  If it were for me, we'd be doing center shaft over spud on that bad boy!

Great putter by a great guy for a great cause. Perfect. :)
PutterHead #235 reporting for duty! :)

Golfluvzme

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »
Well, the pictures of the latest look on this rascal are on my PC and needing some sizing.  I'll be here very soon posting pictures of the new look.  I have been wanting to make this hosel style for quite some time and this project was worthy of the extra work.
Keep an eye on this thread and I think you'll like what you see.
Thanks,
LaMont in AZ

Golfluvzme

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:22:24 PM »
Here are some pictures of the new hosel, temporarily anchored for an idea of how she will look, as well as getting it in a position close to what we will be looking at, when it is welded.  The closer I can come to 4* loft and 70* lie angle, at this point, will mean the less I have to move it, once the weld is in place. 
Just for a note, the nicks and such on the hosel will NOT be there when the putter goes to finish, LOL.  They happen during the bending process and I wait until I am ready to head to the welder before I do the next-to-final clean up.
I extended the pin tail, just a bit, also.  The stock head has a fairly steep drop at the tail and I like to give the hosel someplace to sit, that you don't see on every putter maker's putters.  Keeps my stuff just a little different than every day and I like it that way,  ;).
Tell me your thoughts and thanks for taking the time to view my thread.
LaMont in AZ

Golfluvzme

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
I had a chance to get this one welded up, clean up the weld and neck and do some polishing.  I snapped these pictures before the stamping and milling in my 5-dot logo on the heel end of the face.  I am leaning towards a straight-forward hot salts black oxide, for the initial finish.  After the putter is sold at auction, the winning bidder will have the opportunity to have it customized for specs, as well as personalizing it with stamping if he/she so chooses.  If I go with the oxide finish, it will be easily stripped and refinished if there are any scratches that occur during the customization process.
Enjoy the new pictures and comments are always welcomed. 
From the preliminary feedback, you may be seeing several of this model being crafted for gentleman who are not the lucky bidders in the auction.  If I never saw a single order from this, the cause would be more than worth the effort I have put into this putter. 
Thanks for your comments and keep checking back.
LaMont in AZ

sandbagger

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:40 AM »
That is one fantastic looking putter LaMont...VERY nice work 8)

Golfluvzme

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
I decided to go with a very classic look, the long flowing neck topped with a ferrule, ala TP Mills. I have always been a fan of this look and this is the first time where I felt it really fit.  TP was able to really class up his putters and I can think of very few putter makers I respect as much.  All of them are members here, so that ought to narrow it down a bit, eh?
I tried to keep the stamping to a minimum, but some details had to be there.
Check out the new pics and let me know.  I am holding off on a final finish until I speak to the doctor who requested this putter be made.  He may have an idea that I have overlooked and I am also certain he would love to have a little hand in this one's final look.
Thanks for viewing my thread and all comments are welcomed.
LaMont in AZ

mekeni

• Oldskool
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »
Oh dude.... Killin me with that long neck! Ferrule!? Awesome man. Talk about classy. Can't wait to see it finished. Tell the doc I'm here if he needs a second opinion with that finish.  ;D  Fine piece of art Lamont!

cnosil

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »
I decided to go with a very classic look, the long flowing neck topped with a ferrule, ala TP Mills.

Nice looking putter.  Gotta ask though. I thought there was a limit to how long a neck could be.  Is that putter legal?

jballmn

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Nice looking putter.  Gotta ask though. I thought there was a limit to how long a neck could be.  Is that putter legal?

How is the 5" maximum length limit for the neck determined?     

This measurement is made along the axis of the shaft, or the neck or socket, to the bottom of the sole of the club (Rule 2c in Appendix II). See also the illustrations under Figure IV and Figure V in Appendix II of the Rules of Golf

Golfluvzme

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
I decided to go with a very classic look, the long flowing neck topped with a ferrule, ala TP Mills.

Yes, it is legal.  I saw a post similar and that was brought up.  I headed to the shop, worried that I would have to cut and re-weld, but I was mistaken.  The set-up measures just over 4-1/2" from tip of hosel to floor.  I was very happy to see that number on the tape, believe me, LOL.
Thanks for the comments,
LaMont in AZ

pcirelli

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
LaMont: That putter is incredible and honestly one of the best putters I've seen released in a while! Love the blade/neck combo on this beauty.

What's the headweight? Full shaft offset? Toe hang? Thanks again and congrats!!!
-Pete
Byron Morgan DH-89 Mixed Metals Long Neck
Byron Morgan "PMC" Bombora Long Pipe
Byron Morgan 611 CIRELLI sLaNt

Golfluvzme

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
Pete,
Thanks for those compliments.  When I was given this opportunity, I really wanted to showcase my best possible effort.  The cause was worth that level of work, and I knew that the crowd bidding on this putter would be expecting the very best.  It is all working out to an incredible opportunity, as I have met several people through this that will have a great impact on MannKrafted and my efforts in the coming months, IMHO.
Details?  Headweight-  363 grams.  On the next one, I'll know ahead of time what weight is needed and be able to mill a slight amount off of the face in order to accomodate lighter weights, if asked.
Offset?  You are spot-on with your estimate of one full shaft of offset on this one.  You can tell that the offset on future models can be set at virtually any desired amount, with all of the handwork that is done.
Toe hang?  This bad rascal hangs at 4:30, by my eyes.  Just about midway between face-balanced and a full toe-down hang.
Once again, thank you for your comments and look for the finished pics very soon.  I believe it will be done in a Hot Black Oxide finish for the auction and the winning bidder will have the option to keep it that way or change after it is personalized.
Thanks again,
LaMont in AZ

CourtGolf

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »
All of a sudden I'm getting a hankerin' for a putter stamped with "Mann Made from all natural materials" - maybe with a nice kelly green polymer just to irk the tree huggers. :-)
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

Golfluvzme

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
She is ready for delivery, except for the grip.  Here are some shots I took, just this afternoon in natural light.
The fill color was done to match the custom covers that the good doctor had made, just for this event.  I will post some pics of them, as well. 
Note:  this event is scheduled for December 3rd.  As of last Monday, every single ticket had sold and they were working their bottoms off to create more seating.  This is a $200/ plate function, so to sell out is a sign that the charity is near and dear to a lot of people's hearts.........................OR.........................there are a ton of guys wanting a shot at a MannKrafted Esperanza,  ;).
Thanks for your comments and support of this putter.  It was truly a creation that was straight from the heart and I hope to make many, many more.
Have an incredible week and comments are always enjoyed.
LaMont in AZ

gottaputt

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
Incredible work Lamont!  Now I know 'What's up?' in another post.

CourtGolf

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
That's fantastic !!
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

cwbrion

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 12:15:30 PM »
Damn that turned out really nice.  I love the LONG/Jumbo neck and the ferrule set-up is a nice change from what has become the norm.  The darker colors look nice as well with the bright green fill.  I Hope that Edel #2 comes out looking as good as the Esperanza, but I know that it will.

Golfluvzme

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
Well, the putter was delivered, yesterday to the doctor in charge of the benefit and he LOVES IT!  The colors that are generated by natural sunlight are amazing, even on simple black oxide. 
I was lucky enough to get one of the covers that will be going on the putter, as well as a limited number will be made available for retail sale.  100% of the profit on these covers will go to the Integrated Pain Management Center part of the Children's Hospital, so if you would like to pick one up, just let me know.  They are AM&E brand and their team did a great job on the covers.  It took some begging to get the wave of stars put on there, but in the end, the stars make the covers, IMHO. 
Check them out and thanks so much for your feedback and comments. 
LaMont in AZ

jballmn

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
.........................OR.........................there are a ton of guys wanting a shot at a MannKrafted Esperanza,  ;).

This is what I would go with! ;)
Great looking headcover to protect that beauty! Love that finish LaMont

Golfluvzme

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
Well, the Esperanza did well in the auction and the Integrated Pain Management Center for Children had a very successful night.
Here is the only picture I managed to snap of the final card on the putter.  The organizers put sort of a "Buy It Now" price on the items, or who knows what this one would have done.  The buyer locked this one up while there was still about 1/2 hour left for people to bid and see the items.  I was watching as the gentleman who had the next to last bid, wrote in his number.  Later, I got the chance to talk with him and he was pretty bummed that he did not wind up with that rascal in his bag.  Of course, I made the generous offer to make him one for himself, at the same price as he bid, but we'll have to see how that plays out,  ;).
I was lucky enough to be able to stand back from the display and see how people reacted to the putter.  It was awesome to hear the little comments and such as they checked it out and were told that it was made by a local guy, right here in AZ.  More people saw my work and got to actually put their hands on it, in that 1-1/2 hour piece of time than probably in the past two years, all put together. 
There were so many pieces that fell into place through the making of this putter that it was simply, "Meant To Be."
All in all, it was an incredible night that I was very proud to be a part of.  Next year, we'll pull out the stops, once again and hopefully have a totally new design to throw their way.
Thanks for the comments,
LaMont in AZ

gnead

• Section Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
Good Job Lamont, for a good cause as well.

Gene
Sometimes you just need to leap and build your wings on the way down

sactown

• I date a lot of putters, no wedding yet...
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
Great ending to a great story.  Thanks for sharing this LaMont. :)
My Bag...
Driver: Cobra Fly Z+
Woods:  Cobra King F7 3W/5W
Irons:  Mizuno JPX EZ-Forged
Wedges:  Mizuno S5 Blue Ion 50/55/61
Putter:  Carbon Holliday Prototype

Club Byron #233

LIBBlack

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
Looking at these pictures reminded me of a kamelback with serphant next you made for me 2 yrs back. I regret the day I let that one go. Love those longer necks.

Golfluvzme

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
LIBBLack,
I remember that KamelBack, very well.  It was the first of that model, I believe and the sweet spot fell right on the "V" created by the shaping.  I was in the shop, yesterday and grabbed what I thought was a raw MannKrafted head from the shelf.  It turned out to be one of the heads I had done with "SSB" on the sole and shaped for a "KamelBack" model for SSB, now called the "KittyHawk".   She is ready when you are, just waiting on the shelf,  ;).
Thanks for that post,
LaMont in AZ

Golfluvzme

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
If you are new to putters in the last five years, there is a great chance that you have never seen this thread or the putter it contains.  There is a tragic end to this story and I felt that a lesson was here for the learning, as a guy who tends to take work very seriously and friends/family always seem to take a back seat.
This putter stayed with the original owner for only about six months, as was purchased to give as a gift to someone who recently made headlines in the music/entertainment world, Chester Bennington.  He was the lead singer of Linkin Park, spent time recently with STP and had a hand in more music and band related endeavors than anyone I have ever heard of.  Chester took his own life on Thursday and the action has everyone around him devastated and searching for answers.  I had the opportunity to meet Chester for just a few minutes, the year after he received his putter and he was incredibly gracious and thrilled to have been given such a gift.  The "Esperanza" meant "HOPE" in Spanish and it seems that in the end, THAT is what ran out for Chester and he made the decision to end it.
My lesson seems to be one that tells me to reach out to as many people who have touched my life and call me a friend, as I possibly can and tell them what they mean to me.   Sometimes, you hear "If you can just call ONE friend and let them know."   I am going to be on a mission to call a ton of guys, touch base and let them know what they mean to me and my success.  When the world gets dark, sometimes just the smallest light can start the world back on the right track.
I hope this does not sound to dark and gloomy, but the news of Chester's choice still has my head spinning, as if we were close friends.  Don't let the hope run out for anyone that you know.
Blessings to all who have touched my life and given me the opportunity to really chase my dream.
LaMont in AZ

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
God Bless, LaMont
RC
Xenon X, Ingles .470
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
SRC blade, SRC IKB2

gottaputt

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »
Well spoken Lamont.  There is not a whole lot left if we do not have friends and family in our lives.

TMAC

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
GREAT looking putter you made LaMont.
But your last post was even better.  Well said bud.  :)

amchamp

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
Hi Lamont
Lee in NJ
CHAMP

you did a beautiful esperanza that was recently stolen and as you may recall you did one
for a friend Scotty at Hackensack CC

I'd like to get you to make the same outter and as you may recall you made me an onset putter with the purple graphite shaft as well.
I'm getting allot of hits on my we site how'd you like to run your link as well as a coupe putters on the site as well?
I'm teaching (not much) and trying to caddie but I can't go two days in a row and I only do putters.

I can send pics if need be, you stamped champ on the bottom maybe you recall.
Had the coolest neck in history. I saw the new head under Sunset looks like the R9 a little bit. Could you do one of those snowflake necks on that putter head ?

miss you
Lee Richardson
dropmoreputts.com

201-247-0167
It never gets old, never gets easy, it's always up to me, lets do again tomorrow..

src

• Section Moderator
    • Scott Readman Concepts
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 05:13:11 AM »
Class act Lamont. That head is so pure looking and love the ferrule.

Golfluvzme

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
Class act Lamont. That head is so pure looking and love the ferrule.
I love the chance, from time to time for a ferrule just to give an old school Mills touch to the look of the putter.  I used to have a shop, locally that has a ton of the ferrules that are cut to accept the colored rings above them.  I built a prototype for Mitsubishi when they were releasing their Diamana putter shaft.  It was an IMG-style blade with the parallel back edge to the face, somewhat narrow blade.  It was a carbon steel putter that got a sweet hot black oxide bath and was topped with a black ferrule, then a light blue, white, light blue ring above the top of the ferrule.  It looked very cool.  Bad part?  I was in a rush and took zero pix of this putter, prior to shipping it off to their Carlsbad offices.   The pix that were taken and sent back to me were much appreciated, but just snapped in a hurry and less than stellar in what they showed.
LaMont in AZ

Golfluvzme

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
Hi Lamont
Lee in NJ
CHAMP

you did a beautiful esperanza that was recently stolen and as you may recall you did one
for a friend Scotty at Hackensack CC

I'd like to get you to make the same outter and as you may recall you made me an onset putter with the purple graphite shaft as well.
I'm getting allot of hits on my we site how'd you like to run your link as well as a coupe putters on the site as well?
I'm teaching (not much) and trying to caddie but I can't go two days in a row and I only do putters.

I can send pics if need be, you stamped champ on the bottom maybe you recall.
Had the coolest neck in history. I saw the new head under Sunset looks like the R9 a little bit. Could you do one of those snowflake necks on that putter head ?

miss you
Lee Richardson
dropmoreputts.com

201-247-0167
Hi Lee!  I remember building you that putter.  Was it the one that sat in a bag for a spell, due to the experimental finish that never really showed very well? 
Fire me some pix at lamont@mannkrafted.com and I'll get back with a plan to re-build.  The challenge?  All of this style head that goes out, today has to be hand milled.  The Esperanza was a CNC-based raw head, with a ton of hand work and fabrication on it.  Doing it from a block on the Bridgeport is a different time investment, but I love that style of head, so I have no reservations to doing it.
I look forward to the pix and possibly adding one to your stable.
Thanks for the note,
LaMont in AZ