Author Topic: 2010 Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - REVIEWS  (Read 15857 times)

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
Test panelist, please post your reviews of this putter in this thread.  I can't wait to see the first one from dans4fun show up here...  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:05:32 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

dans4fun

Re: 2010 Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:49:45 AM »
 :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:05:47 PM by nvgolfdude »

dans4fun

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
 :) :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:05:58 PM by nvgolfdude »

dans4fun

2010 Test Panel #2 - The Bombora Has Been Passed
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:47 AM »
 :) :) :)

The Bombora has been passed to Dave (sactown).  We got together for a round at Yocha DeHe in Northern Ca, just outside of Sacramento.  Absolutely beautiful course, and a greens fee of only $45 that Sunday afternoon.  What a day!

This is my first demo program with Byron.  I would encourage all to participate if you get the chance.  It started by meeting Dave L. in Reno for a round of golf.  Plenty of time on the practice green before and after the round.  Got to use a couple of Bombora's, Dave's Custom 89, a SS 007, and a Mini.  Actually used 4 different putters during the round.  While it didn't lead to a lot of consistency, it gave me a great chance to use these beautiful putters on the course.  Dave's hospitality was beyond expectation!  Thanks again Dave.

The next week played a round with Daniel (yoshiod9).  Again plenty on putts on the practice green.  Daniel brought his DBCM and his Copper mini.  Again, 2 more great clubs to try out before the round.  Then the Bombora on the course.

Yesterday got together w/ Dave(sactown) for a round.  Dave brought along his Copper Plated Longboard 006 and SS 007(I think).  I actually got to play his Copper 006 on the back nine, as the Bombora had left my possession.  Nice putter, great looking, nice feel, rolled the ball real well.  (Dave, I had my 3 wood working pretty well again) Anyone need a driver?

No UPS, no FedEx, just great companionship on the golf course.  What a way to pass on putter in a program like this.  Hopefully you will have a similar opportunity.  On to more pics, and review!

Dave/Byron, I'm going to need one of those "Turf's Up" divot tools.  Actually used Dave's to remove a 1" wood sliver from a bunker rake during the round.  Thanks for making them so sharp!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:06:43 PM by nvgolfdude »

funkyfedora

Re: 20110 Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - REVIEWS
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »
Glad we got this one off to a great start. Can't wait for it to make its stop in KS so I can try her out...

dans4fun

Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - PICS
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:06:53 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

funkyfedora

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »
Is this putter drool proof? And I think I will be fondling this one early in the demo program haha.

dans4fun

Re: 20110 Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - more Pics
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »

dans4fun

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:18:30 AM »
Funky, I guess I didn't do a very good job making this putter look undesirable?  Maybe, I can change that in the write-up.

Dan

funkyfedora

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:53 AM »
I was just about to ask you stop posting pictures... Haha. Really hoping that I like the Bombora. Tough job to kick my 006 out of the bag. I believe I missed the pic or specs. What grip is on it?

dans4fun

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:40:05 AM »
Black Stitchback, Kangaroo I believe.  I never got any pics of the grip.  Dave will have to do that!  Ready for some more?

Dan

dans4fun

Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck - More Pics
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:46:15 AM »

dans4fun

Test Panel #2 - Bombora Long Pipe Slant Neck
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »

Well, that's all for now.  Getting kind of late.  I'll get the review up for tomorrow.

Dan

sactown

• I date a lot of putters, no wedding yet...
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
This putter is amazing.  Exchange was great Dan.  Wish the same could be said for my swing (or back at this point :( )
If you are on this panel, get ready to say "Wow!" more than once...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:07:16 PM by nvgolfdude »
My Bag...
Driver: Cobra Fly Z+
Woods:  Cobra King F7 3W/5W
Irons:  Mizuno JPX EZ-Forged
Wedges:  Mizuno S5 Blue Ion 50/55/61
Putter:  Carbon Holliday Prototype

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
Thank you for the review of the putter, the compliments and all of the pictures Dan!  Anytime you're going to be in Reno let me know and we'll get together.  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:07:29 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Glad we got this one off to a great start. Can't wait for it to make its stop in KS so I can try her out...

IIRC you are next after sactown.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:07:40 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

sactown

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
OK so the tester is on it's way to KS...

This was a bit of a rough review time for me because my back decided to go south on me when I took the exchange from Dan.  As a result, my on course play with the putter was limited to that round.  Other observations and demo time was restricted to the practice green...

Anyhow, here are my thoughts:

Looks:
I was not a fan of the look of the bombora when they were released.  One of my first "fancy" putters was the Cameron Circa #1 and the Bombora triggered memories of that torrid relationship.  I decided to do the demo program anyway because I missed out on last years and it sounded like fun.

Simply put, my opinion of the Bombora looks turned 180* once I had it in hand.  This thing looks amazing.  Black finish is striking.  Big tuna milling on the face is by far my favorite and will definitely be the choice for me for the next putter.  The neck does vanish at address, leaving a very clean face line.  Interesting thing about the look from address is that the shape of the flange seems to create the illusion of an alignment line.

The looks drew more than one person over to check it out while I was on the practice green.  Not a single person who looked at it and hit a few putts with it went away unimpressed.

The only negative seems to be that the magnets in the headcover may have caused two small scratches in the finish toward the heel.  Can't be sure, but they seem to line up with the top of the magnet in the headcover.

Play:
As I said, on course play was limited, but what really stood out for me was how immediately comfortable the putter felt.  Subjective, sure.  But the putter just felt right.  Aiming was simple and distance was close right from the start.  After working with it more on the practice green, this good feeling just became more and more pronounced.

One nice surprise was the grip.  I have had two gripmasters that I have not really got along with.  This one was quite different.  Soft, yet responsive.  Overall very comfortable.  This one is kangaroo rather than cow and it really makes a difference.

Thanks for the chance, although limited, to roll this beauty.  I can't wait to have more time with it after I win the lottery :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:07:53 PM by nvgolfdude »
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 04:34:27 PM »
Great review Dave!  Sorry to hear about your back.  Hope that your time in Tahoe put you on the road to recovery.  Next up funkyfedora!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:08:05 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

funkyfedora

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »
Putter is safe in Kansas. A side note, my room mate got his first putting lesson today from me and another golfer on the golf team. 100+ carpet putts between the 3 of us. The putter has a great feeling. Feedback is nice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:08:15 PM by nvgolfdude »

funkyfedora

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Performance:

So, I found out this putter just isn't quite for me. I played 18 and I just could not get anything to drop. The view from address for me just doesn't look right. Not a fan of this particular headshape variation. I think a sight dot would have helped me out a bunch. I could not find the sweet spot consistantly. When I did, it felt like butter. There wasn't a cloud in the sky today and the glare hurt my eyes. I have become acustomed to my satin SS... I did like the black ox on it.

Craftsmanship:

Although it did not preform for me, I was blown away by what Byron did with a hunk of steel. I wasn't a fan of the pictures of the milling, but when I got the putter, I fell in love... Also wasn't a fan of most welded necks until now. Byron can really make me like things I haven't liked in the past.

Overall, I would give this experience a 7/10. I liked it. The putter just wasn't for me...

funkyfedora

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:02 PM »
Something I forgot to add, I really like the new roo grip without the skull and bones. It fit in my hand much nicer and the leather was a dream to hold.

sactown

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
So where is the beauty off to now?
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
So where is the beauty off to now?

msaternus
nvgolfdude@live.com

dans4fun

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:43 AM »

Matt,

Hope you enjoy the putter.   I certainly did.  I'll get back to you on the rack.  It's definitely something I'll want to do.  Make sure you post a pic of the Bombora in the rack before you send it on it's way.

Dan

MSaternus

• Section Moderator
  • PluggedInGolf.com
    • PluggedInGolf.com
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 09:29:41 AM »
Dan,

I will do that.  Unfortunately, I have not received the Bombora yet, but I hope that it will arrive sometime soon.

Matt
Putter Collection:

Byrons: 006 Black Oxide, 006 stainless, Dalehead, Dalehead Mini, 006 flow neck black ox, GSS Epic Day

Xenon: Copper Kurve

PluggedInGolf.com

MSaternus

• Section Moderator
  • PluggedInGolf.com
    • PluggedInGolf.com
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
Ok, folks, here's my review of the Bombora:

I'll start by saying that I've been in a bit of a putter slump lately.  By that I mean: I haven't been terribly excited about putters lately.  My current gamer is rocking face 24/7, so I have no interest or reason to go to the bench and try something new.  My collection grew beyond all expectations in the past year and I feel like I have one of everything that I really want.  Are there other things I'd like?  Yes, of course, but nothing that got me fired up.  Then the Bombora arrived. 

I've been looking at pictures of it for some months now, and I knew it would be very attractive.  That said, the pictures did not prepare me for the putter that I have had in my possession for the last few days.  The Bombora is, without doubt or question, the most beautiful putter I've ever seen.  There is not a single hard edge on the putter and every line and curve flows perfectly into the next.  The milling is stunning.  There were times during my practice session with it where I would, without thinking, just stop putting and stare at the putter.  I'll say it again: it's the most beautiful putter I've ever seen.

Let's also get the obvious thing out of the way: it feels awesome.  It's Byron, it's carbon steel, the rest is no surprise: buttery soft but never mushy, a joy to putt with.  The kangaroo grip is also stellar.  It borders on being slick/slippery, but it's soooo soft that it doesn't matter. 

So it's beautiful and it feels great...but does it perform?  The first thing I did was to swingweight the Bombora.  At 34" and 350g, it came in right about D7 (IIRC), which was lighter than I expected.  It also didn't feel nearly as heavy as some 350g heads that I've used in the past.  I'm not sure why that it, but it was a pleasant surprise since I'm more of a 330-340 guy.

Next, I took the putter to the practice green.  When I started putting with the Bombora, the balance of the head seemed to be quite different than I was used to (I'm a plumber's neck Anser/Anser 2 guy).  The heel of the putter seemed "heavier," and I felt like I had to make a more concerted effort to open and close the face during the stroke.  It also seemed that the putter was not terribly forgiving on mishits, so long distances putts could be left quite short.  This seems reasonable given that there's virtually no heel/toe weighting.  It should also be mentioned that my focus was shot when I was on the green, so I was mishitting a lot of putts.  After this practice session, I had decided that, as beautiful as it was, the Bombora was really not a fit for me.

Finally, in spite of the practice session, I took the Bombora out for 18.  This was my last 18 of the year (I think) because I'm doing a major swing renovation and playing during a renovation can be frustrating and counterproductive, IMO.  I went out with no expectations for my game or the putter.  First hole, hit GIR, 30' from the cup, putted to a couple feet and tapped in.  Second hole, GIR, left the first putt way short (didn't read carefully), but knocked in a 7 footer.  Started to feel pretty good about the putter.  To save you the hole by hole account, I will simply say that the Bombora killed it on the course.  I was thoroughly confident and comfortable with the club in my hands and I poured them in.  I was hitting my wedges very well today, so the Bombora had lots of attempts in the 4-10 foot range and I can't recall a single miss.  A couple of long putts were run well past the hole due to a lack of focus and the head being much heavier than I'm used to, but those were not the putters fault. 

So, my final verdict is that I am excited about putters again, or more correctly, I'm excited about this putter.  Beautiful, great feel, and lights out on the greens.

To all future testers: handle my putter with care.

-Matt
Putter Collection:

Byrons: 006 Black Oxide, 006 stainless, Dalehead, Dalehead Mini, 006 flow neck black ox, GSS Epic Day

PluggedInGolf.com

sactown

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »
Love the review, but I do think that you may have made a slight mistake with the "my putter" part at the end... ;)
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
Matt, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review of the Bombora.  I find your description of the heel weight interesting.  The heel in relation to the toe does have more weight than most putters.  By design this reduces the amount of toe-hang, as does the longer neck (which also contributes to the feel of more heel weight).  I'm always intrigued to hear people's response to the neck.  Personally, I loved that neck from the first time Byron made it for me.  It is a round neck designed to play like my custom, one-off long slant plumbers neck.  The first time he put that neck on a putter was on the Surf City 006 and the second time was on my personal Bombora.  I love it.  When he can, I want him to make me a GS Bombora with this neck in GS (insert drool icon here).

As has been posted in many places, the really special thing about the Bombora putter, no matter the configuration, is that it is at least 50% hand made.  When you see how it comes off of the CNC mill, and then look at the finished product, the transformation is awe inspiring, IMO anyway.  8)

Thanks again.  Next up jhchop!

nvgolfdude@live.com

MSaternus

• Section Moderator
  • PluggedInGolf.com
    • PluggedInGolf.com
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
Dave:  I loved the neck, and would certainly consider it for a future putter. 

Dan:  Here are the pics, as promised.

I brought the putter to work today to show some of my co-workers what a truly great putter looks like.  Suffice it to say, no one was unimpressed.
Putter Collection:

PluggedInGolf.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
Following up on my earlier post, I've attached pictures of a raw Bombora head (carbon steel) and the finished tester putter from this panel.  I hope that these pictures convey the amount of hand work that Byron does to turn the CNC Bombora head into a putter.  At least 50% of the finished product is hand made.  Quite the transformation...
nvgolfdude@live.com

dans4fun

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
Dave,

Nice pics.  Pretty neat transformation.

Dan

dans4fun

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for the pics in the rack.  Now that Dave  is following the post there's probably not a snowballs chance in hell that I could talk you into packing that putter in my new rack, and telling Dave you didn't have any idea what happened to it. 

Glad you enjoyed the putter!  I thought it was great.  Distance control was amazing.  I didn't even have to think about lagging on long putts, it just happened naturally.  Fit and finish were beautiful, and I loved the color scheme.  I would have never picked anything out like that myself.

It's gone through 3 people after me and no one has mentioned that you could barely make out a sight line on it.  I've kind of gotten so I prefer a putter without a line or dot, but it's there if you need to have it.

Dan

nvgolfdude

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »
jhchop, how's it going with the putter?  ???
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:20:59 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »
Heard from jhchop.  He's been traveling, but plans to get the putter out on the course this weekend.  The putter will be staying in PA as it makes its way to the next tester...  Anyone know who that is?  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
PM sent to jhchop and jarmour (next tester) to facilitate hand off of putter, as these two testers reside with 15 minutes of one another.  Looking forward to jhchop's review... :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
If this diagram looks like your stroke this putter would work very well. Profile # 3 from the fitting guide. Most common of the 6 profiles and easily most common on professional tours. This is a past Ryder Cup  Captains profile.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:35:26 PM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

funkyfedora

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
What if the face rotates but the path doesn't?

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Depends on directional bias. If it is left then you want a putter that feels slow to close. If the path goes right a putter that feels it closes faster.

This one certainly would swing on a straight path. Although with an inside out directional bias maybe a touch more offset would have helped.

SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »
Maybe yours looks more like one of these. Profile One and Two
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:29:33 PM by bargolf »
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

funkyfedora

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
I don't know which path it is. But it feels as if I go straight back with a little rotation and close to the 2nd picture with the path going to the right.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
PM sent to jhchop and jarmour (next tester) to facilitate hand off of putter, as these two testers reside with 15 minutes of one another.  Looking forward to jhchop's review... :)

OK, with Justin's son arriving today we are going to skip Justin's turn in the rotation for now and get back to him in a couple of weeks.  Next up howeber - Zack!
nvgolfdude@live.com

jhchop

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
Now that the hand off to Zack has been made, I'm ready to share my thoughts on this putter. First, a little background information.
I have spent a lot of time - and money - in an attempt to understand my putting stroke, tendencies and what designs contribute or take away from my efforts. I have about 6 hours on PuttLab and have had the great fortune of having Bruce Reardon (Bargolf) evaluate my PDF's (Bruce IS the man!).
From a putter design standpoint, it is painfully clear that about 98% of the designs out there do not work for me, for one reason or another. For example, any anser style, anything with a plumbers neck or a aiming line simply do not work for me. My brain interprets those straight lines in such a way that I aim as much as 8 inches off target from 10 feet (using a laser and aiming board). BTW, in an aiming test with this putter, I was dead on the hole every time (if I wasn't, the test would have ended right there).
My stroke is what Bruce would call a Profile 1, so I have an in to out stroke that is 1.5* or so left of square at impact.

So, with all of this in play, the simple look of the Bombora, from a design standpoint, is perfect for me. No sight line - even better. Long slant neck - better yet. This SHOULD have been perfect for me. It was very, very close to being so. Perfect would have been 1/2 inch shorter, 10 grams heavier and a tad more offset so that it was a full shaft of offset.

I gave this putter quite a workout in three environments that I always use to judge how a putter works for me.

One is a practice green that i KNOW really well, so all the lines are established and the putts come down to how well I can aim and execute and how well I can feel the speed. In this situation the Bombora excelled. About 15 minutes into putting on this green, I had a group of 6 guys betting on my putts. At one point, I made 3 20 footers ins a row on an uphill putt that breaks about a foot right to left. In one exercise, I made 20 putts in a row from 4 feet - balls circling the hole; these were a combination of uphill, downhill putts, all with subtle breaks. On the practice green, I got very comfortable with the balance of the putter and was able to really dial in the speed quickly. This inspired tremendous confidence and made me 20 bucks as well! I was making putts all over this green, but's not entirely a fair test, only because I know this green so well - actually almost unfair.

The next 2 environments are 2 distinctly different golf courses. One is an old school turn of the century PA course with tiny, push up greens (grass planted in a soil base), with very subtle breaks but with dramatic slopes either side to side or back to front. Push up greens in the very best condition, cannot be made to run faster than 10, but, when they are running 10, the greens will eat you alive.
The other is a modern course with large undulating sand-based bent grass and poa greens; these greens typically run at 12. These sets of greens could not be more different, but together make for a great test of not just putting skills, but how versatile  - or better - how well suited a putter is for you.

This is where the putter really showed itself. My typical tendency, because my path is 1.5 to 2* left, is that I'm really only playing to the left 1/3 of the hole. With the Bombora set up as it is, I'm pretty confident that this opened up at least another 1/3 of the hole, maybe a touch more. I feel really comfortable controlling the speed, but the really short putts escaped me; the putter was a just too long and too light for my touch and I found myself losing the head from 3 feet or so in. You might ask how I could have made all of those four footers on the practice green, but that green runs at 8 or 9 and is just slow enough to FEEL like a 5 footer.

I actually prefer playing the old school greens, and my putting reflected that with 29 putts for that round. Yet I was surprised on how well I could feel the speed on the faster greens; 34 putts on that round but my misses were all pretty good misses.
I am impressed with this putter. In fact, I liked it so much I decided not to wait for it to come up for sale, but ordered one from Byron, tweaked so it is 1/3" shorter, 360 grams (Ala Moa), little squarer nose with a long goose neck and full offset and a sight dot. With these minor changes, I should have a putter that is as close a match to my needs as I can get! These are Bruce's recommendations as well, so my confidence level is high.

Dave, thanks for making it possible for me to participate in this test. I think this is a real winner design, especially for those of us who require a very simple non-distracting look.

Callaway FT-9 Tour, Fubuki 63
TEE CB3 4 Wood, Motore
Adams PNT2, Matix Ozik
Vega RAFC-01, KBS Tour
Fourteen MT28V5, 51*/7, S-200
Fourteen MT28V5, 55*/11, S-200
Fourteen MT28V5, 59*/8, S-200
Byron Morgan Bombora - CU over carbon - 33.5"
TP Mills Handmade One - 33.5

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
If it helps. We were looking for a putter that.

1. Swings easily on a straight path
2. With rotational balance that rotates slightly closed or left of the path.
3. With enough weight to satisfy players feel demands and slow rotation slightly. Offset and heavy.

This is JH's path with a heel shafted putter. Based on other data we felt that heel shaft with the longer neck would influence the player to swing the putter a little less inside out. Reducing the need to rotate the putter closed dramatically and that works better with the heavy head preference which slows the rotation.

This is picture of the path at its farthest right. the blue path is the one we want to fit to. The others were reactions to the first putt.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:05:18 PM by bargolf »
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
This is the stroke with a High Moi mallet.

Path is more online but note the loops in the stroke dotted line back solid line is forward. The loop in this stroke shows the first signes of the player steering the putter rather than letting it swing. Compare the top two as these first strokes with out any judgement. From experience we know the most consistent path will come from something in between.

The first one on the previous graph is the stroke we are looking for. He adjusted the rest because the putt direction was not perfect. Face rotation did not fit the path. Change the putter to the specs of his new Bombora and the stroke smooths out and the face rotates to the proper postion based on path.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:19:25 PM by bargolf »
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP

JArmour

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
I picked up the putter from Zack.  Wow, seriously this is making it hard for my relationship with my CI.  I thought the twist neck Bombora would be the style I would go with but from a few indoor rolls I think this may be the one.
Byron's:
Channel Island Heel Shafted- copper

nvgolfdude

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:26 AM »
I picked up the putter from Zack.  Wow, seriously this is making it hard for my relationship with my CI.  I thought the twist neck Bombora would be the style I would go with but from a few indoor rolls I think this may be the one.

I'm not surprised Justin.  If you've been rolling a CI I would expect this set up to have you thinking of new possibilities.
nvgolfdude@live.com

howeber

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
I handed the putter off to Justin the other day, so I figured it was time to post my thoughts on it.

First thing that comes to mind is.... wow. What a beautiful putter, it's almost art as much as it is a golf club. I've been playing an answer style (Mini 89 for the past year) for so long that it was a nice change to go to this style.

A day after I got it, I actually put it in play for my school's home tournament. I did not play well (near the end of the season I forgot how to hit a golf ball, you all know how it goes), but my putting was actually pretty decent on some of the craziest green / pin combo's that you'll ever see. We ended up winning the tournament and even though I literally could not hit the ball I came in the top 10 because conditions were so tough. If you follow this link there's actually a picture of me using the putter..

http://www.muhlenberg.edu/main/athletics/fall10/1018.html

So, I think it's safe to say that this is the first test putter that has some NCAA golf experience under its belt.

I feel like anything else I write would just echo previous reviews, so I'll keep it short. It's a sweet putter and I am looking forward to hopefully getting one. I don't know what it is, but in the time I've gamed this putter, I've made more bombs and long putts than I have in a long time.  Nothing but positives to say.

sactown

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Where is this beauty now?  Can it come back to Sac yet? :)
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Where is this beauty now?  Can it come back to Sac yet? :)

Heading from PA to NJ, and then its coming back to Reno so we can have the drawing to see who gets this stunner.
nvgolfdude@live.com

jhchop

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
Fingers crossed....I liked it quite a bit
Callaway FT-9 Tour, Fubuki 63
TEE CB3 4 Wood, Motore
Adams PNT2, Matix Ozik
Vega RAFC-01, KBS Tour
Fourteen MT28V5, 51*/7, S-200
Fourteen MT28V5, 55*/11, S-200
Fourteen MT28V5, 59*/8, S-200
Byron Morgan Bombora - CU over carbon - 33.5"