Author Topic: My upcoming putter project with Tad. Mod 6 handmade  (Read 5413 times)

Spoon

My upcoming putter project with Tad. Mod 6 handmade
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »
Been doing my research for almost 1 month, have emailed tad a bunch of times inquiring about his putters and he literally emailed me within the hour. must have exchanged 2 dozen emails with him in the course of the month just asking questions and advice without a commitment to buy. he is a very easy to deal with kind of guy. you dont get them as down to earth as Tad. very easy to work with that is why i decided to go with him. Dint break the bank either for a custom handmade putter. This will be actually be a gift for my dad as he loved the feel of my yamada razor 8802.

wanted a 350g head and a blank sole. i was very specific on the blank sole so i passed on the barn find. after discussing with Tad, he suggested this one a model 6.

This is my Mod 6 that I developed for Jay Haas in the 90's.  Jay played with it for a long time as well as may others.  It is a great version of the 8802 with a little more weight on the toe side to help get the sweet spot a little more towards the toe.  I can make this one.  Tad

anyway really excited with this project. tad is also getting it finished by lamont. im thinking of a nickel based black pearl finish if there is such a thing.

Shinagawa  Putter tuned by Golds factory
Bettinardi bb0 CU dass twizzler neck
Tad moore BEEGJAY blade custom
Piretti CU first run 1/100

garygibbs9

Re: My upcoming putter project with Tad. Mod 6 handmade
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:49:06 AM »
Ah, the good son. Your dad will no doubt be happy with the putter and pleased with the way he raised you. Very nice putter choice and an even nicer gesture. Happy Father's Day indeed!
When it comes to putters, I suffer from an embarrassment of riches.

Current gamer:  Nead SaP09

Spoon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »
Ah, the good son. Your dad will no doubt be happy with the putter and pleased with the way he raised you. Very nice putter choice and an even nicer gesture. Happy Father's Day indeed!

yup my dad is awesome, got me into the game couple of years ago, most of my equipment were hand me downs until i figured what i needed. hes a club ho and most of what doesnt work he lets me sell and keep the proceeds to fund my Jr club ho'ing.:)

so i hope he really likes this small token, will have a custom stamp as well. this will be a lifetime keeper for sure. will have pics and updated news soon.

Maverickping

• Section Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:48:19 AM »
Sounds great!! I would also agree Tad is very easy to work with and is an excellent person. Throw in LaMont into the mix and you will certainly have a winner. Looking forward to seeing the finished putter!

Spoon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »
Sounds great!! I would also agree Tad is very easy to work with and is an excellent person. Throw in LaMont into the mix and you will certainly have a winner. Looking forward to seeing the finished putter!

yeah hes great and considering hes been in the business for almost 4 decades and still answers my emails personally and is going to make my putter himself without breaking the bank is a testament to his character. this certainly wont be my last TM. ive had easier requests for other putter makers and the mood was a lot different:) its not all about the finished product but the overall experience from first call to delivery

Golfluvzme

• Section Moderator
  • The little guy just working harder, ;-)
    • MannKrafted GolfWorks and Custom Milled Putters
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
Been away from PT for a while and just ran across this thread.  Tad emailed me and we are on the same page, I believe.
Tad's work, back in the 80's, was the best you could buy, and it was not cheap.  A handmade Tad Moore was as big a ticket item as you could find.
You will have one very sweet putter to present to your father.  Tad's putters are nothing short of beautiful.
Thanks again,
LaMont in AZ

Maverickping

• Section Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
If you would like to see my two Tad putters I've started threads here about them. Both are fantastic and certainly not the last!!

Spoon

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
Lamont, thanks a lot i cant wait for putter and your special finish. i can already see the image in my mind but the actual one would most likely outdo it.

maverick, yeah i saw your putters. Very nice lefty pieces.

Spoon

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:14:50 AM »
from the man himself,
Lamont added weight to be sure we had the correct head weight you wanted.  The Nickel is our special Black Diamond and is a tremendous finish.  Very smooth.  I set the loft, lie and other spec's you wanted.  I sure hopes he likes it.  Tad

Im sure pictures do not do justice to the finish. this is a true tad handmade, im quite proud of how it turned out. peripheral weighting and dads monicker is awesome!

the Tad caricature is an added bonus. putter looks soo clean!

gottaputt

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
Tad Moore is the man!  That is a very nice putter!

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
I'm more impressed with Tad's work as time goes on.  I also agree that he's a great guy to work with.  He personally answers emails and discusses what you are trying to do.  Very easy to work with.  I've heard that Byron Morgan does the same and the personal touch definitely helps.  It gives you an extra special connection to their work. 

I hope your father has many years of good putting with his new gift. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Spoon

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:57 PM »
my dad received the putter. he is very impressed. he was never a fan of the 8802 but this squarer toe and special finish coupled with the custom weight requested is everything he hoped for and more. tad got the specs right on and lamonts finish is a wicked mix. Lie, length and weight are perfect. the plugs at the sole are a bonus.

ive had ample time with the putter, very well weighted and balanced. heavier than stock which is what i like. all i can say is i am jealous with my dads new putter. will post pics soon

apprenti23

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »
spoon,

Glad to hear everything turned out well! Putter looks great!

Spoon

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »
Years have passed and I got this from my dad. He got a stroke 2 years ago
But is ok. Therapy and the like are his daily routines instead of playing golf w me.
We do share moments in the range though.

Put this in play this week. Damn fine stick