Author Topic: Designed by Cleveland 8802 model  (Read 10507 times)

cpeter03

Designed by Cleveland 8802 model
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
I've noticed that there is a wide variety of these putter both in their finish, the metal they are made of and  sole stamps (ie. some with Ben Crenshaw on them etc.).

I was just wondering what time period these were made, especially the carbon steel ones.

Also if anyone has any experience with them and wants to tell me what they think of them that would be awesome too.

Thanks.

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
Re: Designed by Cleveland 8802 model
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
The carbon models were 8620 steel and go from the mid-80s until the early 2000s.  Multiple versions, but the "large letters" Classics are the desired heads.  Finishes included satin chrome, copper plate, and black melonite.  The DB Ben Crenshaw was in the 90s.

BeCu would be approx 1985-1988, about the same as the 485 and 588 BeCu wedges.  Very limited production, rumored less than 500 pieces.
MnBr would be the same vintage as the BeCu, even more rare than BeCu.  I've seen four total in a decade, including one lefty.
BeNi was late 90s, about the same time as the Ping ISI.  Not quite as rare as the BeCu/MnBr, but low production.

There was also a Ben Crenshaw Milled that Cameron supposedly had a hand in design or manufacture.  They are seeing a resurgance because they are milled and because of the Cameron connection. 

These were the hot 8802 style before the Cameron Napa and Bettianrdi BB2 because they were faithful replicas of the Wilson Arnold Palmer headshape.  They had the "nickel face" instead of the taller face on production 8802 putters after the 1960s.  They used the YHSF "head speed" shaft and were available with a leather grip that was relativey close to the old Wilson "fat paddle" leather grip. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

cpeter03

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
Wow thanks Stage.

I'm really interested in getting a gaming 8802 style putter but definitely can't fork out the cash for anything like the napa.  I really like the carbon steel feel in other putters I've tried/used.

Not real familiar with the pricing on the cleveland models.  I was looking at one on ebay that has been refinished and looks almost like new and doesn't have any of the collectors features you mentioned in your post (just plain old designed by cleveland).  Any ball park figures for a reasonable price?

Thanks

JelUltra

• Section Moderator
  • Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
Great information!!

Stage - this should be a sticky with the great information you put together.
Read it, roll it, hole it.

ww2golfer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Hey sorry not trying to jack the thread (although its fairly old I see) does anyone know the head weight of the standard cleveland designed by? And even better if you know or can compare to a mid 90's wilson 8802?

Kilmidyke

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
Is this the BIG letter version?  I know nothing of these at all. This one is for sale local(ish) at $50....is that about right or too high...or buy the damn thing now!  lol
PutterHead #235 reporting for duty! :)

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
That looks like a large lettered version.
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

BladeJunkie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
The carbon models were 8620 steel and go from the mid-80s until the early 2000s.  Multiple versions, but the "large letters" Classics are the desired heads.  Finishes included satin chrome, copper plate, and black melonite.  The DB Ben Crenshaw was in the 90s.

BeCu would be approx 1985-1988, about the same as the 485 and 588 BeCu wedges.  Very limited production, rumored less than 500 pieces.
MnBr would be the same vintage as the BeCu, even more rare than BeCu.  I've seen four total in a decade, including one lefty.
BeNi was late 90s, about the same time as the Ping ISI.  Not quite as rare as the BeCu/MnBr, but low production.

There was also a Ben Crenshaw Milled that Cameron supposedly had a hand in design or manufacture.  They are seeing a resurgance because they are milled and because of the Cameron connection. 

These were the hot 8802 style before the Cameron Napa and Bettianrdi BB2 because they were faithful replicas of the Wilson Arnold Palmer headshape.  They had the "nickel face" instead of the taller face on production 8802 putters after the 1960s.  They used the YHSF "head speed" shaft and were available with a leather grip that was relativey close to the old Wilson "fat paddle" leather grip. 

Brad,

Excellent post...

Of all the Cleveland blades, what is your personal favorite?

Chappie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
I realize this one is an oldy, but I'd be interested to pry a bit more info out of you guys (specifically Stage if possible).

What are the headweights of these sticks?  I'm assuming they vary, but I'm interested to know the difference between the carbon steel, becu, satin and polished chrome, etc.  I'd also be interested to know if the large letter ones differe in any way other than looks. 

I passed up on a large letter on ebay this week just because I really had no info on it, but I'm regretting it now as it was mint and a good price.  :(
My small and silly collection of flatsticks:
Cleveland TAM 2
John Byron Dalehead longneck
Kia Ma Rossa Monaco TP
PING Anser 2 BeCu
PING Anser 3
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM I
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM 8
Chicago Classic BeCu 8802

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
I've heard stories that the large letters were Tour Issue, but I call BS on that, as there weren't that many tour players using the Cleveland Designed by.

From what I gather, the large letters were the early run and everyone tends to believe the the first editions are the best.  In some cases, it's true.  Other times, refinements clean up mistakes. 

I know the BeCu and BeNi range anywhere from 315-325g.  I finally got a hold of an MnBr recently and was shocked that it was 330g!  The 8620 small letter "classic" that I own was 314g, which is where the old DB Arnold Palmer/8802 putters were.

Of all the ones I've owned, I always seem to putt best with the BeCu. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:41:21 PM by Stage1350 »
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Chappie

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »
There's a becu on the bay right now with a small alignment aid on it, single line at center point, but I can't tell if that's original or someone added it, and I'm not sure I love it for 175.  I'm really disappointed that I didn't have the cash in my paypal to buy that damn large letter.  It just looked great, and while I'm quite sure it was refinished, it was still a beaut to look at (even if the shaft was an inch over my playing length).

The becu is also 36", which is definitely too tall for me.  I'd reshaft if that was doable, but for one I'd like to keep that leather grip.  Hoping a couple of gem 34" come up soon that I can grab, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:55:58 PM by Chappie »
My small and silly collection of flatsticks:
Cleveland TAM 2
John Byron Dalehead longneck
Kia Ma Rossa Monaco TP
PING Anser 2 BeCu
PING Anser 3
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM I
Spalding T.P. Mills TPM 8
Chicago Classic BeCu 8802

super20dan

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »
anyone wanting to game a quality 8802 without the high entry fee-look for a wilson tour special 1  made in the 60,s but has little $ value. its a 8802 with out the head speed shaft but usually has leather grip and has decent weight too it. without going napa -this is a very high quality alternative. i paid 20$ for mine.