Author Topic: Club Byron March 2010 Mixer - Location & Activities  (Read 12450 times)

nvgolfdude

Club Byron March 2010 Mixer - Location & Activities
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »
OK, it's time to ramp up the planning for the mixer.  We are considering a few destinations in the SoCal area.  Considerations in selecting the destination are cost, cost, and cost, then proximity to other SoCal attractions.

I know that a number of the potential participants have said that if they come that the family will be in tow.  That makes being close to certain attractions (i.e. Disney, Sea World, etc...) important.  Also important are the airports.  LAX is probably the easiest to get flights into, while San Diego and Orange County can be less accessible and more costly depending on where you are coming from.

We may be able to have the mixer near Torrey Pines, and get on to Torrey for golf at good prices.  The downside is that this is a good ways from Byron's shop and Disney. 

Personally, I'd like to see us be in the Huntington/Newport area, but Torrey is frickin awesome too...  If you think that you are going to attend, what's important to you?

nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
Re: Club Byron March 2010 Mixer - Location & Activities
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
Here are my two pesos and hope I don't step on anyone's toes, just trying to help,:

John Wayne is the closest airport to Huntington Beach, price wise sometimes is best if your willing to have a connection or two to get there,but LAX is best, getting from there is the killer, if two get together then transportation will be not bad.

You are correct, Torrey is a great place,but, I doubt they will com down in price, I asked if I qualified for the military discount they have since I am retired military, they said no, I have to be stationed in San Diego. So a course in Huntington Beach or Orange would be more apt to give a break.
Maybe Byron has a favorite?

If coming solo, I may be able to work something out and pick one or two of you at LAX(limited by vehicle!).

Since I live about an hour away, what is important to me is playing some golf and meeting some of the people here. Need any advise/help/?? ask away!

TJ

LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

DaveB00T

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
Here is what is important to me....Proper abbv.
Ok, I would prefer to be closer to Byron's shop and see the area that inspires him. Yes, money is a factor but the venue is more important to me. We could play on a goat track, as long as we are meeting new people and having a good time, I would be happy.
Also,
I don't think that my wife is coming b/c of work, so I might be looking for a roommate and/or carmate. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

jas904

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
I vote for the Orange County area.  I like the idea of Byron being on his home turf.  While I agree that Torrey is pretty awesome, it is very pricey, IMO.    

nvgolfdude

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »
It is Byron who suggested Torrey.

As for airport transportation, one of my requirements is a hotel/resort that has a shuttle to get people to and from the airport.

Dave, I promise that we will not be playing any "goat tracks".  There's plenty of good golf to be found in O.C.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

Hungsolo

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »
I will be in Newport Coast with my family that week, so I would prefer we do stuff near Byron's shop. There are plenty of awesome courses right there, and it is 20 minutes from Disney.

Courses:  Pelican Hill $$$$$
              Oak Creek $$$
              Strawberry Farm $$$
              Tijeras Creek $$$

DaveB00T

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
It is Byron who suggested Torrey.

As for airport transportation, one of my requirements is a hotel/resort that has a shuttle to get people to and from the airport.

Dave, I promise that we will not be playing any "goat tracks".  There's plenty of good golf to be found in O.C.

LOL....damn. If you ever want to see one in NJ...I know where one is down the shore close to AC....
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
***** DUMB QUESTION WARNING!! *****

Lodging, is it going to be part of the deal or ?? just wondering since like I said, I live about an hour away so I may return home or I may stay dont know yet,,,,,,

HULL17RW

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:45:05 PM »
Here are my two pesos and hope I don't step on anyone's toes, just trying to help,:

John Wayne is the closest airport to Huntington Beach, price wise sometimes is best if your willing to have a connection or two to get there,but LAX is best, getting from there is the killer, if two get together then transportation will be not bad.

You are correct, Torrey is a great place,but, I doubt they will com down in price, I asked if I qualified for the military discount they have since I am retired military, they said no, I have to be stationed in San Diego. So a course in Huntington Beach or Orange would be more apt to give a break.
Maybe Byron has a favorite?

If coming solo, I may be able to work something out and pick one or two of you at LAX(limited by vehicle!).

Since I live about an hour away, what is important to me is playing some golf and meeting some of the people here. Need any advise/help/?? ask away!

TJ

I know Byron Plays Meadowlark but not a large scale course so to speak. I like Costa Mesa Los Lagos, always a challenge and they can handle groups reasonably, no need to play Oak Creek or something that is like $150 a head. If you guys need hints where to eat let me know, I know Food in Huntington LOL!

Kevin
HULL17RW
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:27 PM »
Costa Mesa's Los Lagos course is where I played after I stopped by Byron's shop. Good price and it is a good track for all levels, and Costa Mesa CC is where John Ortega works. I wouldn't mind playing somewhere fancier though. Overall I don't care where we play. Golf is golf to me as long as the greens are OK.

This event can't come soon enough!
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
Kevin,,,,,,,, think the group can handle the "view" at duke's over by the pier?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »

We didn't go over to Duke's, but the scenery at Fred's was pretty good...  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com

HULL17RW

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »

I am sure they can.

Kevin
HULL17RW

Costa Mesa's Los Lagos course is where I played after I stopped by Byron's shop. Good price and it is a good track for all levels, and Costa Mesa CC is where John Ortega works. I wouldn't mind playing somewhere fancier though. Overall I don't care where we play. Golf is golf to me as long as the greens are OK.

This event can't come soon enough!

Pretty Sure Seacliff (Private) allows Group Outings, I played some tournaments there in High School, nice Track but may be Pricey, close to Byrons Shop. There is a little place right up the Street from Byrons Shop, Pizza D'oro, the Pizza is unreal! Wahoos fish Taco is a must for the guys from the East Coast or Mid Westerners.

Kevin
HULL17RW

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

yoshiod9

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
Torrey would be sweet since it's on my list of courses to play once in my life.  However, I'm all for doing whatever the group is doing.  Any rough estimate on how much this weekend is going to cost us, Dave?  I think I might have to pass on purchasing any new putters/clubs for awhile-- teaching just barely pays the bills.  :) 
Daniel

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
That's it, am going to huntington this week, need to unwind, too much garbage this month,,,,,,,, Wahoos uh ? seen it down the street from the pier,,,,,, might have to try it,,,,,,

TJ
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:55:16 PM by T.J. »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:14 AM »
Torrey would be sweet since it's on my list of courses to play once in my life.  However, I'm all for doing whatever the group is doing.  Any rough estimate on how much this weekend is going to cost us, Dave?  I think I might have to pass on purchasing any new putters/clubs for awhile-- teaching just barely pays the bills.  :) 

Daniel you bring up an important issue, COST.  For starters, all of the activities will be optional.  Each person or family will be able to decide what they can and cannot do.  I have been encouraging Byron to make something special and limited to those who attend.  We are going to put together the best deal that we can for you on accomodations.  One way to save money is to split a room with someone.  Another is to stay at the LaQuinta that I stayed at when I visited HB ($59/night) and a Hooters next door.

Given the initial response and these economic times, I think that we will look to use a hotel that is well located, but doesn't necessarily have a golf course.  Golf can be arranged easily enough.  If you are anywhere in Cali, Nevada, or AZ, I suggest driving versus flying.  You'll save on airfare and car rental.

One last thing, we are open to suggestions and ideas.  If you have been to similar functions and can give us tips as to what works and what to avoid, please feel free to PM or email me your input.
nvgolfdude@live.com

HULL17RW

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:32 AM »
That's it, am going to huntington this week, need to unwind, too much garbage this month,,,,,,,, Wahoos uh ? seen it down the street from the pier,,,,,, might have to try it,,,,,,

TJ

Try the Asada Bowl or Baja Rolls, different but good and healty.

Kevin
HULL17RW

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

Biggerstaff

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
Do I have to be part of Club Byron to attend? And if no, I suggest either one of the Costa Mesa courses, one of the Fountain Valley courses (Mile Square) or how about Big Rec or El Dorado in Long Beach. All are pretty favorable on pricing and all have good greens. Good greens I think are the most important thing.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 01:14:45 AM »
Do I have to be part of Club Byron to attend?

And if no, I suggest either one of the Costa Mesa courses, one of the Fountain Valley courses (Mile Square) or how about Big Rec or El Dorado in Long Beach. All are pretty favorable on pricing and all have good greens. Good greens I think are the most important thing.

This is for CB members, but joining is free.  There's a thread here with the 411.

I played Mile Square with Byron.  Not a bad track, although the greens were a little rough in March having been punched.  I think that we are likely to encounter punched greens anywhere we go down there in March.
nvgolfdude@live.com

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 03:00:45 AM »
It's official, wife said I can use her suv, so I have room for 3 with clubs,shoes and putters.

yoshiod9

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »
Daniel you bring up an important issue, COST.  For starters, all of the activities will be optional.  Each person or family will be able to decide what they can and cannot do.  I have been encouraging Byron to make something special and limited to those who attend.  We are going to put together the best deal that we can for you on accomodations.  One way to save money is to split a room with someone.  Another is to stay at the LaQuinta that I stayed at when I visited HB ($59/night) and a Hooters next door.

Given the initial response and these economic times, I think that we will look to use a hotel that is well located, but doesn't necessarily have a golf course.  Golf can be arranged easily enough.  If you are anywhere in Cali, Nevada, or AZ, I suggest driving versus flying.  You'll save on airfare and car rental.

One last thing, we are open to suggestions and ideas.  If you have been to similar functions and can give us tips as to what works and what to avoid, please feel free to PM or email me your input.

Cool, thanks, Dave.  :) I guess I don't really need to ask all these stupid questions this many months in advance!  Haha.  I'm just anxious and really want to get down there to meet everyone and play some golf! 
Daniel

who_dat?

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »
Don't forget that JetBlue flies out of Long Beach and is half the distance to LAX.  For those who have never faced it, traffic during rush hour in LA can only be believed once you've experienced it firsthand.  I live close by and could provide some transportation.  I have an accord 4-door.

For courses, I'd throw in Los Serranos and Los Verdes.  A little farther away, but fun courses.  Cheap food is easy and while the view at Dukes is nice, I'd have to give the nod to YardHouse in Triangle Square.  For those that want a little reality TV and a taste of "Real Housewives", we could do a fieldtrip down PCH to Javier's on Newport Coast.

Dat
Mini - Copper
006 - Aluminum Bronze
007 - Carbon Cold Star, Stainless Mixer Twisted Ahi
611 - GSS
DH89 - Stainless 20th Anniversary #4
Damascus - Hon Maguro

drewspin

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
Someone hit me with the dates again, please.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
March 18-21, 2010.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
Email going out tonight to those who said that they will be attending (~ 25 people!!).  Please respond with your feedback and ideas.
nvgolfdude@live.com

jas904

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:26 AM »
Got the email.  Looking very good, especially considering how early you are in the planning stages.  It is obvious that the Byron and the gang have put a great deal of thought into this.  I am excited.

T.J.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »
Name going in to be sure I have those days off,, hotel reservations will be done soon (thanks to Sheraton and Hilton Points),,, Dave,Steve, Ryan,,,,, great job guys!

tm golf guy

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »
Got the email. My chances of attendance are now looking very bad.

yoshiod9

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
That's a shame, tm golf guy.  I was looking forward to seeing what sweet putters you would bring!  Maybe things will work out and you'll be able to make it out to the sunshine state. 

Dave, I cannot wait for this mixer to happen.  Super excited about this.
Daniel

nvgolfdude

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »
We've gotten some great input, and hope to get more.  In the meantime, we have gotten some great rates from a new hotel on the beach in Huntington, not far from Byron's shop (less than 10-minutes).  Check the sticky posting to follow along...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:25:10 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com