Author Topic: DH89 Mini (Carbon/Round Rincon Neck) Test Panel - Sign Up Here  (Read 27788 times)

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
Re: DH89 Mini (Carbon/Round Rincon Neck) Test Panel - Sign Up Here
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:46 AM »
We've had one person fall out, and we may be having another.  Contact me if you'd like to jump in.  In the meantime, here is the updated list.

baraethon
apprenti23
mflores
JimmyGalls
DaveB420
cunham32
EverydayinVA
jls6
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

puttputt

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
pm sent

Kevin

nvgolfdude

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
We are waiting for Kyle's review, which I am sure will be entertaining.    ;)  The putter should go out to the next person (mflroes) very soon, maybe tomorrow.
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
Updated tester list

baraethon
apprenti23
mflores
JimmyGalls
DaveB420
cunham32
EverydayinVA
robear
jls6
nvgolfdude@live.com

mflores

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »
My putter review

I just got back from playing 18 - so this is still fresh in my head - got to say that Byron did a great job to have the weather in Chicago perfect for my testing/review

About me - I am a 7 handicap - putting is the worst part of my game. I have been trying to find the "one" for the past 2 years. I found that a round neck and a 330-340 putter work best for me. I've been playing a round neck anser style at 337 since mid summer with improving results.

The putter arrived in the Byron tube - nice touch. First impressions - dam this thing is small - short and stout. Next thing I noticed was the smoked shaft - that is very cool - very muted looking - not distracting but a really nice compliment to the BO carbon head. Next is the grip - its a gripmaster and I have not liked them in the past so I thought this would lead me to a less than perfect experience.  Last was the headcover - suede gray with velcro - I don't care about headcovers - so it does the job -not my favorite material.

The putter itself is really a piece of art - very well made and great attention to detail - it looks like the hard angles/edges have been softened up. The round neck flows right into  head - nice welding. The face is nicely milled. I expected this craftmanship to be great after reading the Byron forum for some time. This lived up to my expectations.

The smaller size takes getting use to to - definitely need to roll lots of carpet putts and practice green putts to get ready to play. I got to say that I love this grip - I really haven't like GM grips but whatever this hide is feels great, good size and soft to the touch but firm when putting.

Peformance wise - this is point and shoot - whatever lack of confidence I had in the size was more than exceeded by the performance - just stroke it and goes right on the line. Also the half offset is very nice as well - my current gamer is a full offset and I prefer the half. Feel wise - because I prefer a lighter head my distance control was off today. Also feel wise - I dont know if its the smaller head but I didnt have one off center feeling putt all day - every putt was solid feeling. That is the first time I have expereicned that.

Overall - this a definite wish list for me (lighter weight). The feel, look and quality are fantastic.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2009, 04:26:34 PM »
Marco, thank you for the very well written review!  We are glad that you enjoyed the putter and the experience.  You are spot on, IMO, with your assessment that nearly everything off the face of the MIni feels remarkably solid.  I have to believe that is because the mass of the putter is concentrated in a smaller face area.  We can easily make one for you at your preferred head weight, and now as a tester you get that 10% discount too.

The grip is the Captain Morgan stitchback (grey) which is made from kangaroo hide.

Applause for you Marco!  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »
Jimmy, we're looking forward to your review...  How's that coming along?
nvgolfdude@live.com

RobearH

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »
This one must have been gripped or being delivered by rickshaw. Almost Xmas and last review was 11/14. Robear
Byron Morgan Bomber (Tail Gunner)
Gene Nead SAP 09 Damascus (Katana)
Gene Nead Damascus Mini (Wakasashi)
T.P. Mills Handmade One (RBH Proto)

DaveB00T

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 03:34:10 PM »
Robear,
I have the putter now, safe and sound. The puttertube lid was damaged and a replacement is coming to me. I will be writting a review when I get sometime, very busy with work and holidays.

Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

nvgolfdude

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
Well, we knew that this could happen, and unfortunately it did.  It seems that a postal worker stole the test putter on its journey from CT to MO.  It is very unfortunate, but that is why all the shipments are insured.  While we pursue the thief through the USPS, and the insurance reimbursement, Byron is making another round neck Mini tester.  Obviously, everything is on hold until the new putter is finished.

Here's the thing.  This is the ONLY round neck Mini that Byron has made.  So, if one turns up for sale anywhere it should be easy to track down the culprit.  Keep your eyes out for us.  Here are a couple of pictures of it...
nvgolfdude@live.com

cunham32

• looks good on you, though.
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 10:45:21 PM »
Yeah, it blows to go to the post office to pick up what you think will be a sweet putter only to see this...

jls6

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »
WOW  :o ... Looks like we weren't the only ones excited to get our hands on this beauty!

Heartgrad

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »
Really sorry to hear about this guys.  Hopefully it turns up on the Bay and we can track it down.  That might be one of the saddest pictures I ever seen. 
WITB
Old School Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
Titleist 585H 17*
Hogan Apex Edge Pros 3-9 (but I'm looking)
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal 47*
Vokey SM 54*
Cleveland 588 60*
Byron Morgan A.S.S. 007 - Smileys Style

DaveB00T

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

nvgolfdude

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
Thanks for the review Dave.  The grip is grey.  I know in pictures on PT it looks white, but they are grey grips.  I have to say, Byron's round weld necks are my favorite aesthetically.  I hope he can make me a long slant round neck some day.
nvgolfdude@live.com

RobearH

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
This one must have been gripped or being delivered by rickshaw. Almost Xmas and last review was 11/14. Robear

I believe this is called foreshadowing! Robear

matthewwildcats12

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Just ordered my first 007, and Id love to test out the spud or the center shaft.  Ive used a Bettinardi center shaft (BB43) for a while but I;m interested in Byron's take.
Byron Morgan Tuna Club

nvgolfdude

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
I just got the replacement putter today.  Pics tonight, and we'll get this test panel moving again.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
Still no pics posted!  >:(  I'm going to have to give myself a good talking too!  :laugh:

Seriously, the putter will go out to cunham32 tomorrow so that we can get back on track and wrap up the last of the 2009 test panels.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
Pics of the replacement putter - 'Lower Trestles'
She's a super model if you ask me!  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

cunham32

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »
I am looking forward to getting things back on track.  Looks like mini magic headed my way! 

cunham32

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
My Review:

I feel like I can't say much more than the guys above as far the quality of these putters.  This one looks awesome in person and oozes craftsmanship.  Solid feel and beautiful to look at. 

I don't want to go into some long ramble about this and that, which will bore you all to tears.  I will make a key observation (at least for me).  Before seeing a mini in person, I had pretty much decided it was more of a novelty piece.  Cool, but not really realistic to play.  Now, I have changed my mind.  This putter is definitely something anyone could game.  What I found, putting with this is like hitting a little sweet spot over and over.  With a regular headed putter, you know when you hit the sweet spot and when you don't.  With the mini, there doesn't seem to be much room for error so you seem to always hit the sweet spot.  The freakin face isn't too much bigger than the ball!  So, now I have added a mini to the list of putters I want to try.  I liked it better for shorter putts, ten feet and inside, and liked it less on longer lag putts. 

In the end, great putter that changed my mind about mini's!  Thanks Byron and Dave for a great testing program.  This baby is now on the way to the next tester!

EverydayInVA

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
I made it through my week with Lower Trestles, I never got to take it to the course, but I was a little hesitant to do so. (a lot of the courses aerated not long ago) I got in plenty of time on the putting green though, at my work we have an artificial green literally 20 feet from my desk. The putter was really not anywhere near my normal specs,  I usually play a putter at 36" and 2* flat, but the head was as solid as a rock. I was a little worried about the smaller size, but once you get it on the green I didn't even really notice it. This putter actually has me rethinking my 007 with the sound slot, without the slot it just felt so solid. The appearance is just stunning, I don't think I've seen a better black oxide finish on any putter I've seen in person. Th welding looks perfect just like on my 007 Rincon. I do have to say I wasn't sure about the round neck since all my putters have a Rincon syle neck, but I really did like the round neck a lot too. As far as the feel and quality of the putter beyond what I've said, everyone here knows Byron does top notch work, I own a golf shop, and putt with pretty much any putter imaginable, NONE feel as solid as the 3 or 4 Byrons I've had the chance to roll. Overall this demo program was a bad idea for me, I saw too much I liked and am back to planning my next Byron for purchase. I even really liked the Gripmaster stitchback, and wish I would have gone that way with mine (I've gotten really used to the Iomics). I went in to this thinking that the mini's were for display, or putting around the office, now I have no doubt in my mind I could use one as my gamer.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:13:16 PM by EverydayInVA »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the reviews Matt.  This one is on its way to Texas - robearh.  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

EverydayInVA

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »
Do I send it on to him, or back to you?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
Do I send it on to him, or back to you?

Please send it to robearh via USPS, Priority Mail, insured for $300.  You should have a PM from me with the mailing info.
nvgolfdude@live.com

EverydayInVA

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
I have no PM with that info.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »
I have no PM with that info.

Sent again...
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
Looks like we had a little delay in VA.  Putter is on its way to TX now.  Thanks Matt!  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

RobearH

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »
The Mini test putter was waiting for me in my office when I got home on Monday. I had never seen a Byron in person when I asked to be on the test panel. I was supposed to be in rotation during the winter, but with the theft and horrible winter that caused a considerable delay. Since then I purchased a Bombora Proto and was quite impressed with Byrons overall quality (no shop marks or finish issues either). Upon opening the box the Mini did not disappoint. With a beautiful shiny black oxide finish and senuous shape round neck. A real stunner.

I immediatley took some practice puts on my indoor green. That is when I noticed just how small this mini really is. I have two other minis and this one makes them look like full sized putters. It felt solid, and easy to line up. The one negative I noted was the distance control. I never felt much toe flow with this putter. Could be because there is not much length between toe and heel. I also think this putter would perform better if it was shorter in shaft length. The grip was a little to small for me as well. That may have caused me to be somewhat handsy and effected my distance control.

I would certainly recommend a Byron to anyone looking for a putter of the highest quality. Made by a true artisan. I would also recommend someone actually looking for Mini as a gamer. Try a test program such as this. For me has turned out to be an eye opening experiance . Thank you Dave and Byron for letting me participate.

I will get the putter out to next in line on Monday, May10!

Robear H

lits01

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »
sign me up

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:11 AM »
I would love to roll my first Byron!

nvgolfdude

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Sorry guys.  This test group has ended.  You can sign up for a Bombora test panel. 
nvgolfdude@live.com

Bogs

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »
NV, I have the original putter that was stolen. I have sent you a message with details...please get back to me asap.
Driver - Nike VR Tour 8.5 Diamana Whiteboard
Wood - TaylorMade R11 14.5 Epic
Hybrid - Adams Peanut V1 20* Fubuki 465
Irons - Mizuno MP58 DGS400
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Forged 51, 55, 60
Putter(s) - DH89 "Rincon", CT SSL Newport, DH9, TM IBS, NC LE Connoisseur "Robusto"

nvgolfdude

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
I am glad to learn that this putter has found its way into the collection of a PT member.  You have a PM reply from me, and I posted in the thread in the main Byron section that the putter has been LEGALLY ACQUIRED by you.  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

Bogs

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
I am glad to learn that this putter has found its way into the collection of a PT member.  You have a PM reply from me, and I posted in the thread in the main Byron section that the putter has been LEGALLY ACQUIRED by you.  :)

I can't tell you how glad I am. Thanks for your help.
Driver - Nike VR Tour 8.5 Diamana Whiteboard
Wood - TaylorMade R11 14.5 Epic
Hybrid - Adams Peanut V1 20* Fubuki 465
Irons - Mizuno MP58 DGS400
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Forged 51, 55, 60
Putter(s) - DH89 "Rincon", CT SSL Newport, DH9, TM IBS, NC LE Connoisseur "Robusto"