Author Topic: 2010 Club Byron Mixer  (Read 55714 times)

nvgolfdude

2010 Club Byron Mixer
« on: July 18, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
I am using this thread to gauge the interest in holding a Club Byron mixer next spring in Southern California.  

A few things that we already know:
1.  This will be open to Club Members only.
2.  Female Club Byron members are welcome.
3.  Spouses, significant others, families are all welcome.
4.  Dogs are absolutely welcome.  ;)
5.  We will look for a golf resort that offers good golf, reasonable rates, and convenient to one of the SoCal airports.
6.  There will be a putting tournament/contest!  8)

Things we have to figure out:
1.  March, April, or May
2.  2-nights / 1-day or 3-nights / 2-days
3.  How many people will commit to this?  The more people that we have the better the deal we will get on lodging and golf
4.  Golf tournament or just social golf?
5.  Is there interest in a member "show and shine" (means bring your collection and show off a bit)?
6.  What would everyone like from Byron?
7.  What sort of off-the-course entertainment would everyone like?

I'm know that there are more considerations than these, but this seems like a good start.  I'd love to see us draw 100+ people, but I'll be happy if we have 20 or 30 people just hanging out having a good time.

Okay, I'm waiting...  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:39:55 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

JArmour

Re: 2010 Club Byron Mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
I'll start saving now! 

1) Late may
2) 3/2 nights days
3) Tournament Golf
4) Definitely want to see some collections or even just a few
5) Not sure on what Byron should bring......divot tools, towels, t-shirts, head covers, belt buckles ;), ball markers. Did I leave anything out? PUTTERS!
Byron's:
Channel Island Heel Shafted- copper

jetlau3

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
I'd be definetely interested as I live in LA. 

1) Doesn't matter at all
2) Depending on where it is, I would probably stay locally but I'd be down for the shorter of the two.
3)  I'd commit.. not sure about lodging but I'd commit for golf and hanging out
4) social golf for me
5) yes
6) whatever Byron wants to bring
7) I'm down for anything

Sounds like it would be a ton of fun.  Would love to see all the Byron gamers..  annoys me that I never see any on the course when I play with randos.
TP Mills Custom Professional Series One
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »

I'd be definitely interested as I live in Riverside CA, an hour away. 

1) Doesn't matter at all
2) I would probably stay locally,more hang out time.
3)  I'd commit.. not sure about lodging but I'd commit for golf and hanging out
4) social golf for me
5) yes
6) whatever Byron wants to bring
7) I'm down for anything

And if you fly into Ontario California or John Wayne Airport, I be more than happy to pick you up.

LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

yoshiod9

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:25:54 PM »
1.  Whenever!  I can use a sick day or two, if necessary.
2.  Either 1 day 2 night or 2 days 3 nights will work.  
3.  I'm totally committed as long as the price isn't CRAZY high.  I do have a few friends that live in the L.A. area (Los Feliz and Silver Lake areas) if the price is out of my range.  
4. I'm not a great golfer-- I'm playing my best golf ever, right now (Because it's the summer and I have time to play three times a week.  Teaching is a great job!) and my handicap has dropped to a 16.  I'd prefer to play social golf.  Then again, I've never played in a golf tournament... haha.
5.  I don't have a ton of putters, but I could bring them on the drive down.  :)
6.  I don't think I'll have much money to purchase anything large-- I'd be totally happy just getting to actually meet the man that makes the putters I love!
7.  I'm pretty low-key.  For entertainment, I'm more than happy just sitting and talking to people about golf, soccer, football, literature, life, etc.  I'm very much a people person but have never been too keen on a crazy night life.  

Maybe we could take a group trip to Byron's shop if the group is small enough?  
Daniel

yoshiod9

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Forgot to mention, that 16 HC is from the white tees.  Haha.  I've only been golfing for 4 years! 
Daniel

jetlau3

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:41:58 PM »
Forgot to mention, that 16 HC is from the white tees.  Haha.  I've only been golfing for 4 years! 

I've been golfing for 10 months and I'm currently a 21 :1
Social is all I can handle I guess haha..
TP Mills Custom Professional Series One
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

yoshiod9

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »
Haha.  Well, at least we can be the crap golfers together!  :D
Daniel

Lip Out

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
How do I know if I am a Club Byron Member?  I recieved a bag tag once, but I am not sure if I am or if I have a number. :-\

nvgolfdude

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:54 PM »
I'll start saving now! 

1) Late may
2) 3/2 nights days
3) Tournament Golf
4) Definitely want to see some collections or even just a few
5) Not sure on what Byron should bring......divot tools, towels, t-shirts, head covers, belt buckles ;), ball markers. Did I leave anything out? PUTTERS!

To clarify, I was wondering if we'd all be interested in a presentation/talk from Byron about putter design, craftsmanship, what goes into making a great putter.  Leave the gear to Steve and me.  Byron will have an array of putters available for sure...
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

sactown

• I date a lot of putters, no wedding yet...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 11:54:38 PM »
First vote for Nor Cal carpool.
As long as we can work a good price for the  weekend, I am in with vigor and vim.

Tour of the HB mecca would rule as well.
My Bag...
Driver: Cobra Fly Z+
Woods:  Cobra King F7 3W/5W
Irons:  Mizuno JPX EZ-Forged
Wedges:  Mizuno S5 Blue Ion 50/55/61
Putter:  Carbon Holliday Prototype

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »
How do I know if I am a Club Byron Member?  I recieved a bag tag once, but I am not sure if I am or if I have a number. :-\

Sending PM
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:02:30 AM »
First vote for Nor Cal carpool.
As long as we can work a good price for the  weekend, I am in with vigor and vim.

Tour of the HB mecca would rule as well.

Drive over the hill to Reno and we can make our way down from here.  We (me & themann) will probably drive down from here.  We did it in March and had a great time!
nvgolfdude@live.com

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 02:40:09 AM »
I'm in!
I love all of the ideas.
3 nights, 2 days.
tournament golf.

www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

Brando5105

• Today's gamer Betti Sig 2
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 03:12:08 AM »
If I am in the area (fingers crossed) next Spring I would be in
PGA Professional

My Putters:
Bettinardi Sig 2
Bettinardi Tour Proto
Tour Issue Kombi Long
MannKrafted Ping Redwood
Ping Anser F Ti
Ping JAS Wti
Machine M2A
Palombi ALbrz
SSB Prototype

dfabilene

• Newest Addition
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 03:00:33 PM »
I'll be there.

Golfluvzme

• Section Moderator
  • The little guy just working harder, ;-)
    • MannKrafted GolfWorks and Custom Milled Putters
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 04:18:26 PM »
It would be an excellent reason for a trip to the beach for the wife and daughter, with putters and golf for me!
Good Lord willin' and the creek done rise, count me in.

iballman

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »
Maybe Steve can look into doing something like this for the Midwest chapter?
Patrick Gibbons makes one darn good scorecard holder.  Some serious goods there.  Top notch.

sactown

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 05:36:31 PM »
One vote against Memorial Day Weekend...
Wife seems to think that the 15th anniversary is more important.  whatever
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

nvgolfdude

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
Definitely not a holiday weekend...  What about spring break?
nvgolfdude@live.com

Hungsolo

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
Whoa, where have I been the past 3 months?  I would prefer spring break ish time.

yoshiod9

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »
spring break would be good-- so late March or early-mid April?  i really am excited for this!
Daniel

sactown

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »
Definitely not a holiday weekend...  What about spring break?

Sure.  Midweek?  Near the end of the week hits Easter issues.  Weekend before seems ideal...
My Bag...

Club Byron #233

tm golf guy

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 12:01:18 AM »
I'm in if it is during spring break. Would be a blast.

I think social golf/ scramble is more fun than tournament style IMO. I would be down for either though.

I would be down for a show and shine. I'll need a few more putters before then though LOL.

I think it would be cool if Byron were to give a brief talk, but nothing too lengthy. I think it would be more enjoyable if we were all just able to socialize and speak with him individually.

Off course entertainment is not as crucial to me as I would probably be going with the family, and spending time out and about when not at the social events.

Don't forget the open bar.  :thumb:

nvgolfdude

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
I'm in if it is during spring break. Would be a blast.

I think social golf/ scramble is more fun than tournament style IMO. I would be down for either though.

I would be down for a show and shine. I'll need a few more putters before then though LOL.

I think it would be cool if Byron were to give a brief talk, but nothing too lengthy. I think it would be more enjoyable if we were all just able to socialize and speak with him individually.

Off course entertainment is not as crucial to me as I would probably be going with the family, and spending time out and about when not at the social events.

Don't forget the open bar.  :thumb:

Will, thanks for all the great input.  If you need more putters for the show and shine, we are here to help.  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Recognizing that Spring Break may not be the same for everyone, here are some date possibilities:

March 18-21, 2010
March 25-28, 2010
April 8-11, 2010
May 6-9, 2010

All of these are based oncheck-in Thursday night, check-out Sunday.

If the indication is that a good number of participants are going be bringing along their families, we need to know this and take it into account in selecting the location and activities.  In other words, as TM GOLF GUY did, let us know if you will are bringing along the family.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:19:22 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

JArmour

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
Any chance for March 18-21st?

I'd probably be coming alone since my wife and I are on different spring break schedules. 
Byron's:

nvgolfdude

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
Any chance for March 18-21st?

I'd probably be coming alone since my wife and I are on different spring break schedules. 

Justin, I added those dates to the list...  :)
nvgolfdude@live.com

lightningbolt444

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:17 AM »
id come down for sure
MannKrafted Hot Rod
MannKrafted Custom Rattler
Bettinardi Half Moon BB-0
Bettinardi Studio Stock 5
Byron Channel Islands
Byron GS 006

tm golf guy

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 12:54:27 AM »
18-21 of March if it is in March. That would probably be my only available time till mid May.

yoshiod9

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 01:41:43 AM »
how rainy is it in socal during march?  i know that march in the bay area tends to be the time we get quite a bit of rain. 
Daniel

Hungsolo

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »
It never rains in SoCal.  Ever.  I used to live there and without NorCal and the aqueduct systems, that place would look like the moon.

yoshiod9

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
Haha.  Nice.  That's good to know!  So I won't need to purchase a rain jacket...
Daniel

funkyfedora

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
Buy one just in case.  ;D I am sure you want one ;)

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »
Haha.  Nice.  That's good to know!  So I won't need to purchase a rain jacket...

If you wear an Xl I'll lend you one of mine since I am a fair weather player  :)  300+ days of sunshine, am not playing in the rain.
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

herbst20

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

I would be up for a Midwest outing as well.   My wife and I have already booked our vacation for next year so I will not be able to attend!

Will Club Byron Members still be able to purchase some of the merchandise available at the Mixer?

Scott
In the Bag
Callaway Epic Subzero 10 degree
Cobra F7 3-4 wood
Titleist 712 AP2   4-PW
Titlest Spin Milled 6  54-60
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 
Bettinardi DASS BB-0 Pecans and Peaches  (Gamer)
Byron DH89
Byron 007 Spud
Byron Z Bomber
Scotty Cameron 2.6

nvgolfdude

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »

I would be up for a Midwest outing as well.   My wife and I have already booked our vacation for next year so I will not be able to attend!

Will Club Byron Members still be able to purchase some of the merchandise available at the Mixer?

Scott

Yes, we will definitely keep that in mind!
nvgolfdude@live.com

jas904

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I'm in!!!
1.  Don't care when
2.  2-nights
3.  Count me in
4.  Golf tournament
5.  I only have three but I would bring them for sure. 
6.  I would love to hear Byron give a talk, about how he got started and how he got to where he's at today.  What/who has influenced him, etc.
7.  I really don't care so much about entertainment, I am pretty flexible. 

I am really looking forward to this.

JArmour

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »
18-21 of March if it is in March. That would probably be my only available time till mid May.

Same here.

I could try and get out there for the other times but my kids give substitutes hell.
Byron's:

yoshiod9

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:25 PM »
can we do this, like, now?  i'm playing soooo much better than i ever have!  i decided to play from the blues today for the first time ever and ended up equaling my best score at that course-- an 83.  However, the course played about 600 yards farther!  I can honestly say that i feel like a much more accomplished golfer now.  haha.  granted, it's still a 12 over par but i'm happy with it! 

if we play tournament golf, how exactly will the tournament work?  will it be the partner/pairs thing or a singles type tourney?  i've never played competitive golf-- i was a soccer player and football kicker in high school/college-- so this is all new to me.  :)

i realllllllyyy can't wait, though!   
Daniel

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
When the date and course are set lets make sure the greens aren't plugged. Isn't March a popular time for green work?

If we have a tourny maybe Byron can weld together some scraps into a trophy with hand stamps!!!
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

reflog74

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »
If we have a tourny maybe Byron can weld together some scraps into a trophy with hand stamps!!!

Please don't do that!?  Do something more original.  Mini surf boards for trophies, or something "Byron-like".

JAT (sorry, trying to make a point),
John

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

Please don't do that!?  Do something more original.  Mini surf boards for trophies, or something "Byron-like".
JAT (sorry, trying to make a point),
John

Very TRUE! My brain stopped thinking before I posted. But still how awesome would a mystic pearl trophy be?
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

reflog74

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Mystic Pearl ANYTHING is cool!

John

yoshiod9

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
yeah, some milled smaller surfboard trophies would be amazing.  speaking of that, maybe Byron could mill a surfboard bottle opener/keychain.
Daniel

foreleft53

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »
I could be in...  Regardless, I can make some phone calls and talk to some people.  Dave, let me know if there is anything that i can do to help! 

nvgolfdude

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »
I am very pleased with the response we have gotten here for an event that is 8-9 months out.  I want to assure everyone that we will accomodate all who want to attend.  This fall, I will start a sign up list to get an initial idea of who wants to attend.  Then we'll get a SoCal travel professional involved to find a location, get us a great deal, and work with attendees to get their arrangements booked.

On a couple of other notes, we are contemplating charging a registration fee.  The fee is like a deposit to ensure that people are serious about attending.  The fee will come back to you in the form of some Byron swag and a hosted kickoff party.

There will also be a fee for the golf outing/tournament.  Participation is not mandatory, but encouraged.  ;)  The cost will cover golf, libations, and prizes.  For planning purposes, this amount will be due in advance (probably 30-days).

Stay tuned...  8)
nvgolfdude@live.com

TxGolfer

• E-3 Sentry AWACS---------Cougar
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »
I would be interested. Being so far out, I will have to gauge it when it gets closer.

I would definately play golf and bring my putters, with enough room to bring a few back ;-)

glen

yoshiod9

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »
reallllllllyyy can't wait for this, dave!  i am excited to play some golf with some byron fans!  i finally played a round with a byron morgan fan.  i was down in San Jose and played a round with my younger cousin (he's 13) and the guy we were paired up with asked me how I liked my Byron.  He said that he had one made by Byron for his son.  Pretty sweet. 
Daniel

DaveB00T

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
I would be interested in coming. But the dates then the approval of SWMBO are the determining factor. B/c I am sure that I am not allowed to go to CA w/o her, I am only allowed to travel up to 2 states away without supervision :poke: . I would be in favor of March 18th to the 21st and then March 25th to the 28th.

Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN