Author Topic: Scotland Golf - tips?  (Read 8195 times)

xraes

Scotland Golf - tips?
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
After booking this trip almost a year ago, finally about a month away from my first golf trip abroad!  Going as a foursome with some old college buds. Rather than continuing to hijack Aaron's thread, thought I'd post our itinerary here, see if any PT'ers are going to be around? Any tips/ suggestions are welcome.
Day 1: final rd. Open at Turnberry
Day 2: Gleneagles PGA
           Gleneagles Kings
Day 3: Crail Balcomie
           Old Course
Day 4: Carnoustie
            Kingsbarns
Day 5: Old Course
           St. Andrew's Castle
Day 6: Gullane #1
           North Berwick

Were staying at the Old Course Hotel after the first night in Glasgow. I think the tee times are pretty much locked in, but any recommendations on food, pubs, weather etc., or general tips welcome.

Thanks,

Rodney

ncboiler

• Adios
Re: Scotland Golf - tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
Thats a great trip you have scheduled Rodney!  You're playing a lot more golf than I am but I had to balance golf and wife time :)  The only difference is we're taking a few days at the beginning of the trip to spend some time in the Highlands -- around Inverness.

reflog74

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
Thought this should go here Rodney.  We'd like to see this area become more active.  

Have a great trip!  

John

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
Rodney thats a fantastic trip you have there, some great courses, if you decide to head on down to the finer part of the country (Wales ;) ) give me a shout! Enjoy it all the same, and dont forget the photo's!

bambi380

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »
Rodney a bunch of guys from our club came back less one. :(  They were playing KingsBarn and Will had a massive heart attack on the 12th tee. I type this because he has been on my mind all day (his funeral was today). A great guy who Alan and I had the pleasure of being paired with in many a tournament. He loved golf and life. I guess if we must check out and our time on this planet is over, St. Andrews would be on the list of many. However, 61 is far too young to leave. *sigh* I will miss him snickering and flirting with me.

Enjoy the trip because life is short.............
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:19:25 PM by bambi380 »
"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

xraes

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
Bambi-
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. That's a good lesson to all - my father had a massive stroke at 54 (I'm 43), and although golf in Scotland was not on his "to do" list, several things were which I still wish he and I could have done together. That's probably why with most things, especially travel with our kids, my wife and I try to make enjoying today a priority in our family. We're headed out later today for our family summer vacation - thanks for the reminder to enjoy the day.

Carpe diem

Rodney

HULL17RW

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
Rodney a bunch of guys from our club came back less one. :(  They were playing KingsBarn and Will had a massive heart attack on the 12th tee. I type this because he has been on my mind all day (his funeral was today). A great guy who Alan and I had the pleasure of being paired with in many a tournament. He loved golf and life. I guess if we must check out and our time on this planet is over, St. Andrews would be on the list of many. However, 61 is far too young to leave. *sigh* I will miss him snickering and flirting with me.

Bambi condolences on a lost friend, very sad. May he rest in peace.

Kevin
HULL17RW
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:32:41 AM by HULL17RW »
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

HULL17RW

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
Rodney, sounds like a dream golf vacation. Enjoy and have safe travels!

Kevin
HULL17RW
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

mr.upndown

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »
here's a tip..stay out of the fairway bunker on the 6th at Gullane #1 :w00t:

Have a great trip and say hi to John the bartender at the gullane clubhouse bar for me...Chris

Bingo

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:16:43 AM »

Hi Bambi,

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I was in the fourball behind Will's group at Kingsbarns - Please accept mine and my father's condolences on your loss.

Rest in Peace.

Ben

xraes

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
   :w00t: :w00t: :w00t::w00t:4 days 'til the Open!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Sorry, I'm getting a little excited ;D

Rodney

reflog74

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
Rodney,

Have a wee dram in memory of your mates back home!

Enjoy!  Trip of a lifetime! 

John

xraes

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
Rodney,

Have a wee dram in memory of your mates back home!

Enjoy!  Trip of a lifetime!  

John
Thanks John,
Hopefully a few pics to post next week.

Rodney

xraes

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
Unbelievable trip! The Scots are truly endearing people, absolutely beautiful country, and a few pretty decent golf courses too :w00t:
Only downer was a driving rainstorm and 20-30-mph winds the afternoon we played the O.C. Any other course, I would have walked off. That said, we had an afternoon time there the next day we canceled to play a different course (see below).  Hopefully some pics later after jet lag has cleared, but here's my favorite's list:
1. Kingsbarns - UNBELIEVABLE! Most beautiful course I've ever seen or played. All you want from the back with a little wind. Words nor pictures will do this place justice - if you go, MUST PLAY!
2. N. Berwick - 13th Pit (stone wall), 14th Perfection, 15th Redan, 17th green - Does it get much better? AWESOME!!
3. Gullane #1
4. Gleneagles Kings
5. Carnoustie
6. Crail
7. Gleneagles PGA

I left the OC off the list because it rained so hard, I'm not sure where I'd put it. I think you have to play it once, but like I said, we could have played it again, but opted for another round on Kingsbarns instead. Gleneagles PGA course hosts the Ryder Cup in 2014 and it was easily our group's least favorite - yeah, the Scots have some pretty good courses :w00t: :w00t:

Rodney

reflog74

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:27 AM »
Welcome home Rodney -- glad you had a great trip!

John

bambi380

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
Welcome back Rodney!

This summer much thought and conversation has occurred concerning a Scotland trip for Alan and I. You will now agree it is a must play for avid golfers? But first this ole' gal must commit to getting in shape to walk those  courses.  :w00t:

I as others here in P.T. look forward to viewing those pics.  8)

Hi Bambi,

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I was in the fourball behind Will's group at Kingsbarns - Please accept mine and my father's condolences on your loss.

Rest in Peace.

Ben

Thanks Ben..........
"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."