Author Topic: Channel Islands Test Panel - SIGN UP HERE!  (Read 70023 times)

nvgolfdude

• Born to golf. Forced to work.
Re: Channel Islands Test Panel - SIGN UP HERE!
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
tell those east coasters to keep it dry ! ;)  (geez - what a week for the US Open, eh ?)

:laugh:  Court, you're one of "those east coasters".
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

CourtGolf

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
SOUTH east !!  we're getting baked right now - but I have my silicone rag right here to do my part to keep that putter looking brand new. ;)
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

desaille

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
dont worry guys
by the time it gets thru washington and oregon, it will be rusted just like your cleveland 588's

CourtGolf

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
LMAO !! (hey WAIT - what am I laughing about ??)  :P

JimmyGalls

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
If you do another one of these I'd love to try it.

Thanks!

Jim
Gamer:  Tour Odyssey Long Neck Raw black series I #1

CourtGolf

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
Here's a question - which tube is making the circuit ?

Z-MAN

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »
I love that finish

thethumb

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
I love it! I can't wait for that beauty to show up. I'll be sure to keep it nice and dry for everyone to follow! Love the plumber's neck and the finish.

JArmour

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
WOW! That looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out.
Byron's:
Channel Island Heel Shafted- copper

nvgolfdude

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »
Here's a question - which tube is making the circuit ?

Maybe the Woody, maybe something new...  ;)
nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 01:41:17 AM »
Well, I feel very fortunate today!  On my way home from work, I got to stop by the club and spend 15 minutes rolling the Channel Islands tester on our greens which are rolling at a very nice 11' right now.  All I have to say to those who signed up for this test panel is you are going to LOVE this putter!  :thumb:

The buttery soft feel of this carbon mallet is to die for!  I could not stop making putts.  The roll out was great, the sound perfect, the feel unbelievable.  Everything that Drew wrote about this setup for the Channel Islands was spot on!  :trophy:

Byron, you are the man!  :welder:
nvgolfdude@live.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
How about some travelogue pictures of where the putter goes ?  By the club sign - action shot on the green - having a drink at the 19th hole ;) - maybe some local city flavor ? :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »
I'll see what I can do to take some "travelogue pictures" before she heads off to thethumb (Brodie).
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
OK, I had a little fun with the suggestion that we photo document the day in the life of the putter, sort of like the Stanley Cup.  :laugh:  I had to work today, and my wife nixed my idea to take a picture of the putter at one of the areas more infamous attractions (The Bunny Ranch).  Sometimes she has no sense of humor...  :(  :laugh:

We started the day with breakfast when we got to the office, a lot of Starbucks and a bagel.  Then there was lunch under a shady tree with a barley pop at la casa.  Then there was a ride in the car.  In between, I had to find time to work and upload these pictures.  My wife is certain that I have lost my mind.  :rotfl:

Enjoy...  ;D :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:42:02 PM by nvgolfdude »
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 08:36:09 PM »
OK, the putter ships out tomorrow to the state of Washington.  It will be traveling first class in a Woody Putter tube. 

Here's a close up of some of the stamping...
nvgolfdude@live.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
Great idea on the bunny ranch - but you might have gotten a less than enthusiastic welcome. "oh, that's real nice, honey...but you come on back when you can bring your driver." ;)

REALLY like the seatbelt shot.  You can never be too cautious with the ones you love.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:20:02 PM by CourtGolf »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »
I just wanted a picture of one of the "ladies" holding the putter under the sign...  I swear that's all I was thinking...  :(
nvgolfdude@live.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:55 AM »
LOL !

nvgolfdude

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2009, 12:15:44 AM »
REALLY like the seatbelt shot.  You can never be too cautious with the ones you love.  :laugh:

What about the Tifosi shades and the Fenway Park hat?  ???
nvgolfdude@live.com

Spaulding!

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
Can't wait until it gets to Ohio! Been wanting to try one of these for awhile now. 

CourtGolf

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »
I can't comment on the Fenway Park hat - the Sox are in town this weekend - but Tifosi is about an hour from here in Watkinsville, GA.  I'll have to send them this picture - they'll love it.  :thumb:

(good move strapping him in the passenger seat after the adult beverage at lunch !) ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:16:40 AM by CourtGolf »

nvgolfdude

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
OK, we've had a drop out, added one, and a small shake up in the rotation:

thethumb - putter in route to you  ;D
desaille
funkfedora - new addition
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
jarmour
pcirelli
CourtGolf
msaternus
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6
nvgolfdude@live.com

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

desaille
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
jarmour
pcirelli
CourtGolf
msaternus
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6

If there is another slot, can I play? I realize I be last,,,,,,,, not a problem !
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
Does this qualify one for the carpool lane?

www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »

desaille
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
jarmour
pcirelli
CourtGolf
msaternus
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6

If there is another slot, can I play? I realize I be last,,,,,,,, not a problem !

TJ, as of right now we are full.  If we have a drop out, I'll let you know.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Does this qualify one for the carpool lane?

Good one Ryan!  :laugh:
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
Anything to report from the thethumb?  ???  How are things in Vancouver?
nvgolfdude@live.com

desaille

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
Do we know if we can get the CI without the sight line?

thethumb

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »

I'm going to break this review into multiple parts because I'm getting a little lengthy with the first part... sorry

Okay, so I've had my week and it's time for this beauty to move on. I was really looking forward to taking a ton of pics, but the camera took off to Tokyo with my girlfriend last week (They're back though!) and the power cord stayed there. So, we'll just have to do this based on the previous pics...

I don't think I've ever been more excited to get something in the mail than I was when I saw the Woody Putter Tube sitting in my living room. :w00t:  Just the tube alone could sit around the house looking good! I suppose you'll have to wait for the next review to see. And, the experience of opening the tube and pulling the putter out was like Christmas in July!

Here are some of the specs for this tester:

Length: 34"
Lie Angle: 72*
Headweight: 350g

Here are my specs for my own personal putter:

Length: 34.5"
Lie Angle: 71*
Headweight: 350g

In reviewing this, I'm going to have to compare it to a couple of my own putters as well. Notable putters I'm gaming to compare to:

Odyssey Black Series #1 with UST FF shaft, Lamkin Torsion Control Grip
Yes! Lizzy Plus (Mid-mallet) with Plumber's Neck Hosel and UST FF shaft
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Ten 2.5

First impressions: The first two putts I rolled felt incredible and I absolutely love the T Alignment lines with the white line across the back of the top line, perpendicular to the sight line in the cavity. It was so easy to line up and matched the alignment aid I mark on my ball perfectly as well. The 3X Oil can finish has to be my favorite look of all, and I feel like one could look at it over and over and find something new in the finish every time. For some reason, this just manages to give me a big confidence boost when I'm over a putt, because how could a putter that looks this good miss?!

Feel: The first thing I noticed about the CI was that it didn't feel like a mallet at all as the ball came off the face.  I think it gives the response and feel of a blade and was much livelier than most 
My Yes! Lizzy has a muted, slightly dead feel compared to the CI. This may also be because of the C-Grooves which I imagine cause it to feel softer and less responsive. I won't use an insert putter (such as an Odyssey) because I don't get enough feedback and I put the UST Frequency Filtered shafts on my putter to amplify that. I don't think I would even want a UST shaft on this because it was so impeccable.

Material: The 11L17 carbon is definitely my preferred choice of material for the head. Stainless just tends to be a little to harsh for me. This was a nice muted click that left me focusing on how the putt felt, instead of what it sounded like.

Distance Control: I have a hard time with distance control when the putter is too short for me. It tends to throw off my tempo and make it a little too quick. I get jerky and pull putts to the left. This was no exception, but certainly not any fault of the putter. I equate feel to distance control and this was spot on.

Okay, that's it for now. I could talk about this all day, but some will have to wait until later.... 
Cheers!

desaille

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
update
Got the putter from thethumb

And sorry to do this to the rest of the testers but I traded the club into golfsmith. All I was able to get was a $130 giftcard

It looks quite good on the putter rack   :P

CourtGolf

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
:laugh: :w00t: :laugh: :w00t: :laugh: :w00t: :laugh: :w00t:

funkyfedora

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
Oh. Darn. I was next.  :-\    :(

desaille

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
hahahaha
 ;D

keke

I was actually able to use the putter the first time yesterday afternoon.

previous putters (all anser style except tess)
ping anser2
ping g2 tess
cameron (mil-spec, studio stainless, studio select) <-- various slant to plumbers neck

Couple of quick things compared to my 006 (coldstar finish 34/355/pingman) since thats in play right now.
Might be more negative than positive and as always everything is IMO and personal preferences
This is the first time in 10 yrs of golfing that I've ever used a mallet style putter for a whole round :)

Channel Islands
- Its fairly light in retrospect to head (size of head, cause you look at it and would think it should have a heavier feel). But it does give you plenty of confidence stroking the putt as its very stable thru the stroke.
- It definitely is a soft\quiet feeling putter. NO CLICK at all. At the same time, bit difficult to tell where it hits off the face.
- The leather grip is odd, actually I dont care for it at all. First time I've felt the leather master, sorry but it feels like plastic. Maybe if it had a pingman, then it might feel heavier.

- It could have been the day, greens, gravitational moon pull, but on longer putts (now obviously putter isnt per spec for me etc...) noticed that it had a tendency of skidding before rolling. Most likely due to loft at impact. Shorter putts seem to roll fine but had to fight going left.
- The white T site line made me feel that all my putts were aimed\going left, so hence my post couple days ago about no site lines.

I wub that oil can finish, but it just wont last here in the rainy NW.
Glad that Steve convinced me not to go with an oil-can finish on my 066 here in Oregon.

Got a couple more rounds, but forecast for Sun is rain, so I wont be using it.

Will post more info after the weekend

;)

desaille

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
Post review over the weekend

Still dont like the grip :) Might be part of the reason why I dont feel as much

But wow, this is a tremendous putter.
Played over the weekend and boy does this putter roll the ball.
At times it felt I didnt even hit the ball (as I heard playing partners say get to the hole) but it smoothly rolls in.
Sometimes you see someone hit a putt and you're like wow "he hit it hard and it barely got there"
With this putter, just a smooth stroke and it does all the work for you. Very stable thru impact, very stable.

Can we just end the tests and I buy the putter now :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »
We've had a drop-out on this tester...  :(  I will go back through my list and see who our first alternate is.  Someone is going to get lucky and get to get into the mix on this great tester.  ;D
nvgolfdude@live.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
how in the world do you drop out of a testing ?  hope it's nothing serious.

JArmour

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
It was me!

I know, I didn't want to drop out but..........I bought a Channel Island!

The Byron testing program is top notch and loved being in the DH89 rincon.  I was looking forward to this one. 

Someone will be very lucky to get to roll a top quality stick.

Byron's:
Channel Island Heel Shafted- copper

CourtGolf

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »
I think this could be the ULTIMATE endorsement for the testing program.  Sign up to be a tester and you won't even have to DO the testing - and you'll be ready to buy one ! :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2009, 01:25:59 AM »
I think this could be the ULTIMATE endorsement for the testing program.  Sign up to be a tester and you won't even have to DO the testing - and you'll be ready to buy one ! :)

Justin got a crazy good deal  :w00t: on the one he bought.  I can't fault him at all.
nvgolfdude@live.com

funkyfedora

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »
We've had a drop-out on this tester...  :(  I will go back through my list and see who our first alternate is.  Someone is going to get lucky and get to get into the mix on this great tester.  ;D

Is it T.J. ? Is he going to fall in love with this one like he did on the 006 test?

nvgolfdude

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »

Is it T.J. ? Is he going to fall in love with this one like he did on the 006 test?

No, T.J. took a pass on this one...  ??? :(  The new addition to the list is clemsondds.  I may need to rework the batting order too.
nvgolfdude@live.com

funkyfedora

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
Im still next though right?  :)

nvgolfdude

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »
Im still next though right?  :)

Yes, you are next Will, but there is a small delay...  It seems that the gentleman who preceeds you on the list is in love with the putter.  He has asked, no begged, me to let him keep the putter through this weekend so he can game it in a golf tournament.  Being the push over that I am I agreed.   8)  He promised to send it our Express Mail next week.
nvgolfdude@live.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »
Here's the update rotation:

desaille - has the putter now
funkfedora - next up
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
jarmour
pcirelli
CourtGolf
clemsondds (new guy)
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6

and thethumb got us started...
nvgolfdude@live.com

MSaternus

• Section Moderator
  • PluggedInGolf.com
    • PluggedInGolf.com
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:29 AM »
Here's the update rotation:

desaille - has the putter now
funkfedora - next up
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
jarmour
pcirelli
CourtGolf
clemsondds (new guy)
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6

and thethumb got us started...

Where did I go???  Hopefully it's just a typo.
Putter Collection:

Byrons: 006 Black Oxide, 006 stainless, Dalehead, Dalehead Mini, 006 flow neck black ox, GSS Epic Day

Xenon: Copper Kurve

PluggedInGolf.com

nvgolfdude

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2009, 01:08:12 AM »

Where did I go???  Hopefully it's just a typo.

Yeah, that was my mistake.  :-[  It's fixed now though.  :)

desaille - currently fondling the putter
funkfedora - patiently waiting
markjinc
Mr 44
Spaulding
pcirelli
CourtGolf
clemsondds - new man in the group
msaternus
TxGolfer
Estopped
jls6

thethumb was first man in the barrel
nvgolfdude@live.com

CourtGolf

« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
hang on hang on...he's fondling the putter ?  I was prepared to do my part in rust prevention...are the rest of us going to need latex gloves now ? :laugh:

nvgolfdude

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
hang on hang on...he's fondling the putter ?  I was prepared to do my part in rust prevention...are the rest of us going to need latex gloves now ? :laugh:

Ouch! Charlie, you have definitely been called out here. :poke:  Maybe you'd better post some pictures "travelogue style" to save your reputation.  :laugh:
nvgolfdude@live.com

desaille

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
what the pictures of it in Golfsmiths putter rack not enough :)

desaille

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
who gets it next?
I havent heard from david yet