Author Topic: jr's Former Cameron Collection  (Read 30088 times)

jr

jr's Former Cameron Collection
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
I will be loading some photos of many of the items I had in my collection when I decided to break it up and sell everything over a year ago, maybe almost 2 years now. I have had many people ask me about the items in that I use to have in my collection because it use to be showcased on my web site www.ClassicScottys.com.

Many people ask me how I know so much about this model Cameron or that model Cameron. I have had thousands of collectable Cameron's go through my hands at one time or another. I have owned more OTR Limited Edition sets of Cameron along with the Holiday and MyGirl putters than I care to admit. The putters shown below are just a few of the ones I collected. It was not uncommon for me to go through 4 to 7 different putters of the same type in order to find the "perfect" example, the one with absolutely no signs of use, 100% original, never used.

This first set of photos is of my Scott Cameron "hand made" putters. I had about a half dozen others that I had sold off to fund new stuff and I either did not get COA's for them, they were sold before the COA program, or I just can not remember which putters they were. These are the ones I had a record of when I set up the web site.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:39:11 PM by jr »

jr

Re: jr's Former Cameron Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
Here are two Garage putters that were made for me.

jr

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Here are some of the Classic I model putters that were made in the 1992 - 1994 era.

I was then and still am partial to the Anser style head shape.

jr

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
Here are some of the other Classic series head from the 1993 - 1994 era that I just could not pass up for my collection.

jr

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »
Here are some of the early Cameron Titleist Newport putters I had, some with special finishes. ONe of my favorites is the Sterling Newport; the Kiawah World Cup with the sterling silver insert.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:52:32 PM by jr »

jr

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:31:09 PM »
Here are some custom putters from the Studio. My gamer was A003464 and it was originally black oxide with red and green paint fill. It was refinished by a subsequent owner so the current registry photos are of the new look. I included the one photo I could find that shows it like it was originally made.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:12:14 PM by jr »

jr

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
Here are a few that were owned by and played by PGA players, actual tour putters.

jr

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
Here are some nice golf bags.

Also some photos of part of my grip collection. Sorry about the low resolution photos of the grips but they were from old email attachments when I sent photos to the Studio because the Studio was going to do a special story about my grip collection on ScottyCameron.com. I have also attached, as a pdf, the text for the story as submitted to the Studio.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:54:24 PM by jr »

jr

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
I will update the above posts and add other photos once I have the time and figure out where some o the records are stored.

jr

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
Enjoy

funkyfedora

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
WOW! That is an amazing collection.

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
Unbelievable JR!

Are we allowed to swear even under these circumstances..........

harleygolfer

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
John that was a great collection.I know you had alot more then that and alot of rare covers also LOL.

JCL

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »
Very nice collection!  Actually that's kind of an understatement.

John

garth

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
Unreal collection...

I really like that Brent Geiberger blade - not that the others aren't awesome!

drchipinski

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Three words.

Where is Stubby?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:15:24 PM by drchipinski »

jr

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
I could not find the COA for the Stubby. I looked and looked and I could not find it and I could not remember the COA number. Jeff, do you remember the COA number?

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
Your taste in handmades is excellent.  I love the look of them as they are cleaner and less gaudy than recent offerings.  They are a perfect example of less being more. 

I also love the Piece of Time staff bag. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

JCL

jr

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
That is it. I will update the Custom section to include that putter in a minute and also add couple of staff bags I dug photos up of.

HULL17RW

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
John, incredible collection and thanks for sharing! The SSS Coronado stubby is unreal and I really like that Classic III. Wow was a common word popping up as I went through, thanks!

Kevin
HULL17RW
Kevin --- a.k.a. "KevDogg"-----

Mills Mob Goodfella's- KevDogg, Papa Smurf, Shay-D, K-Shaw and Jaybird!

Mills Mob Ladies- Bambi.

Mills Mob- Represent!

"You can't control a Mob, only hope to contain them"

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
That is an impressive collection, absolutely amazing!
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

CSCUP

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
A002300 is one of my favorites of all time...!  That was an amazing collection that you had...
In the Bottum of the Cup!!!

cueist

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
That was simply one of the finest collections ever assembled and there is still alot this hasn't been shown.

Jim

prov1only

• Go Apps! National Champions 2005-2006-2007
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
John, I have no words...."amazing" just doesn't do that collection justice. Great to see you in Orlando..

Fairways & Greens

drchipinski

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
I could not find the COA for the Stubby. I looked and looked and I could not find it and I could not remember the COA number. Jeff, do you remember the COA number?

I will find it.

jr

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
JCL sent it to me and I added it to the Custom section.

drchipinski

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
A002300

drchipinski

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »
I am aroused....

drchipinski

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
face

Joker

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »
Wow......Jr

I still love the Scott Cameron handmades

I'll bet when you decided to start selling these..... Vog and Dr j nearly crapped their pants  ;)

russ

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
That was an incredible collection. I remember seeing those on a previous forum that is no no longer around.

Heartgrad

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 02:36:34 PM »
Really cool collection of putters.  I don't collect so this may be a simple question, but I noticed a lot of black ox even in some of the tour putters and I was wondering if that was more common than today?  That is, you don't see a many black ox on tour or OTR putters, so is that something that Scotty and others got away from?  I have an older TP Mills Workshop II that is black ox and I have a love/hate relationship with it, in that I love the sound/feel but struggle with the glare on sunny days. 

Also, I really loved the Bird Dog putter and the chocolate finish.

Cool stuff,
Ben
WITB
Old School Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
Titleist 585H 17*
Hogan Apex Edge Pros 3-9 (but I'm looking)
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal 47*
Vokey SM 54*
Cleveland 588 60*
Byron Morgan A.S.S. 007 - Smileys Style

benjatt

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
Bettinardi skins game

golfer4life

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 03:04:11 PM »
That is the most comprehensive Cameron collection I have ever seen.  Wow jr, that is just amazing.

Hector

jr

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »
face

No Titleist on this one?

No other stampings other than the SCOTTY CAMERON on the back wall. The finish was the first of its kind.

Really cool collection of putters.  I don't collect so this may be a simple question, but I noticed a lot of black ox even in some of the tour putters and I was wondering if that was more common than today?  That is, you don't see a many black ox on tour or OTR putters, so is that something that Scotty and others got away from?  I have an older TP Mills Workshop II that is black ox and I have a love/hate relationship with it, in that I love the sound/feel but struggle with the glare on sunny days. 

Also, I really loved the Bird Dog putter and the chocolate finish.

Cool stuff,
Ben

You can get a putter bead blasted or misted prior to getting the black oxide or other finishes are applied and it will not shine or cause reflection problems. Look at these examples of misted putters to see the no glare look.

johndeere10

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
John do you have any idea how much the exotic skin bags were originally or did it depend on the skin it was made out of?

Putterfan13

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »
JR no secret you have had some of the nicest putters pass through your hands espicially with the Camerons. When do we get to see the rest?!

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
I know this guy in Colorado Springs and he has a very nice collection of Camerons.  I have even seen some of this guys collection and held a few very nice pieces in my own hands.  This collector has a Payne Stewart putter and a Robert Gamez putter among his collection. 

However, jr's former collection was, hands down, one of the finest collections on this side of the universe.  It is an understatement to say that jr was a collector of Cameron putters.  jr was one of the premier collectors of Cameron putters in the world.  This cannot be disputed, regardless of what some people want to believe.
Byron Morgan B-17 Secrets Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x Long Pipe GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
and a few others

jr

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
John do you have any idea how much the exotic skin bags were originally or did it depend on the skin it was made out of?

The original bags were just leather, from a cow. Later, around 2005, one last group of bags were made out of exotic skins: ostrich, eel, elephant, python, etc. I can not remember the prices of the original ones or even the later one. I can tell you the exotic's were a lot more expensive than the plain leather bags. I think, depending upon the skin they ran as high as $6,000+.

JR no secret you have had some of the nicest putters pass through your hands espicially with the Camerons. When do we get to see the rest?!

I left out all the OTR and limited edition putters from the Titleist years and my head cover and grip collection along with all the nick knacks (clocks, ball markers, pitch tools, paperweights, letter openers, racks, etc.) It is all sold and long gone. part of me wishes that I had kept a digital file with all the items I collected but another part of me is very glad I did not. What I posted above was what I considered the cream of the crop with a few exception and was the bulk of my collection in the 2006 -2007 time frame.

craiga

• Section Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
 :popcorn:

That is fabulous, thanks for sharing.
Today is the day I will do what I was going to do yesterday.

xxio

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
I can only look 2-3 putters at a time. So I can truly appreciate the putters.

Heartgrad

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »
Both the Byron and the TP Mills are awesome.  Forgive my ignorance, but if you bead blast or mist before black ox is that the same as 3x Black or a little different?  I really like the finish on the TP Mills.  Which putter is that, 1310?  I'm thinking about getting a C&L and am trying to figure out which finish to go with. 

Really a lot of cool putters, Cheers
Ben
WITB
Old School Cleveland Launcher 9.5*
Titleist 585H 17*
Hogan Apex Edge Pros 3-9 (but I'm looking)
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal 47*
Vokey SM 54*
Cleveland 588 60*
Byron Morgan A.S.S. 007 - Smileys Style

jr

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
I think the 3x nomenclature is in reference to the treatment of the metal: misting, bead blasting, polishing, etc. Giving the surface different textures so that the reflective properties will be different once the finish is applied. One of the guys that makes putters should be able to confirm or correct this opinion.

The Mills is a custom Tradition II. I am not sure if it is the same as a 1310, it may be, I just do not know.

Putterfan13

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »

The original bags were just leather, from a cow. Later, around 2005, one last group of bags were made out of exotic skins: ostrich, eel, elephant, python, etc. I can not remember the prices of the original ones or even the later one. I can tell you the exotic's were a lot more expensive than the plain leather bags. I think, depending upon the skin they ran as high as $6,000+.

I left out all the OTR and limited edition putters from the Titleist years and my head cover and grip collection along with all the nick knacks (clocks, ball markers, pitch tools, paperweights, letter openers, racks, etc.) It is all sold and long gone. part of me wishes that I had kept a digital file with all the items I collected but another part of me is very glad I did not. What I posted above was what I considered the cream of the crop with a few exception and was the bulk of my collection in the 2006 -2007 time frame.

I got a good portion of the Winn proto and 1 of grips. All are very cool.

mekeni

• Oldskool
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
The neck on the Black Ox Napa is sexy! Dont see too any of those around. "Former collection"?

jr

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
I added some photos of part of my grip collection in the section above that pictures my golf bags.

pgagreg

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
John now that you no longer own the proto winn grips can you reveal the source

xxio

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »
Now for the tough question.

Jr,

If you could have kept 3 (1 is just too hard). Which ones and why?

jr

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Greg, I can not remember the guys name but I would not out him even if I could remember. He was involved with the PGA tour and he is the one that had the contacts. I just met him via buying from him on eBay.

Toby, I could have kept 3 and decided not to.  :-)

If I wanted to keep 3 it would be tough but these would be in the running, in no particular order:

This Garage, maybe one of the best looking Garage putter ever made.
[coa]A001955[/coa]

This really is a Classic piece of art.
[coa]A004643[/coa]

Was one of Bernhard Langer's gamers in 1993/94.
[coa]A006008[/coa]

Beautiful stainless commemorative putter.
[coa]A003808[/coa]

Perhaps the nicest hand made blade I have ever seen. Unique triple pass milling on the face, simple stampings, the grip was in plastic since new - leather grip, the putter was perfect.
[coa]A002769[/coa]

The "stubby" was one of the most beautiful shaped, stamped and finished modern day custom putters. Everyone that saw the putter had drop jaw.
[coa]A002300[/coa]

The BBC 009's are great looking. This one had it all, vertical Scotty Cameron, large cherry dot, Scotty Dog, 7 Point Crown, black shaft, and one of the only BBC's that had paint fill.
[coa]A004016[/coa]

As you can see it would be a tough decision and one reason why my collection grew to what it did; I could not have just one, they were like potato chips. I sold them because they ended up like the vinegar flavored potato chips.