Author Topic: Pics please. Show me how your blue oil is aging.  (Read 1551 times)

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
Pics please. Show me how your blue oil is aging.
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
I was just admiring one of Mr Morgan’s latest polished blue oil pieces here;

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=48033.0

I would love to order a putter with blue oil finish but would want it to remain more or less in that condition always.

Perhaps some members with this putter finish over 2 years old could post up current pics and their tips on care as a reference?

Thanks, Gav
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

Gava

Re: Pics please. Show me how your blue oil is aging.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:20:34 AM »
As this question has been asked before, there are a couple of threads with some thoughts on this.

Gio did a helpful write up about his experience with some member input here;  http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=46181.msg433911#msg433911

And another with an example of blue oil wear here;  http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=46106.msg432500#msg432500

What concerns me a little is in some cases patina appears to develop very quickly. 
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.

fharbist

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
Here are my blue oil putters.  They are ALL holding up well, but as I've said in the other threads this is a very high maintenance finish and you have to put in the work.  The 007 is the oldest in here (about 3 years old with this finish) and it is holding up great with regular care.  The 611 matte blue oil is showing the most "issues" (some fading on surfaces and patina in the seams of the putter), but nothing worth getting too stewed about...

Even threw in here a blue oil job done by BOS Golf - it's the Bettinardi in the pictures and the finish is their polished "aquamarine"...

My opinion stays the same - this is a great finish but you need to (a) know what you're getting into since it varies greatly across steel types and degree of polish, and (b) be ready to put in the regular maintenance work. 

Gava

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Thanks for posting those pics up.  Really nice looking line up. 

That 615 has the hues I'm after and appears to be lasting well.  The 611 I'd be disappointed with.  This is just an exercise for me to learn more about how these age, not to dish the finish at all.  And the Bettinardi is stunning.

I ordered one with matte blue oil a few years ago and it arrived looking almost chocolate color (which appealed to some) but the irregular patina on the face right from new was a turn off straight away.  It's taken me a while to come back to considering another order.

I'm thinking stainless but it appears with blue oil it's still a bit precarious with maintaining it's original appearance.  A safer bet is deepwater or black oxide.  Otherwise it's back to glass blass/tour satin.

Oneputt

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
Thanks for posting those pics up.  Really nice looking line up. 

That 615 has the hues I'm after and appears to be lasting well.  The 611 I'd be disappointed with.  This is just an exercise for me to learn more about how these age, not to dish the finish at all.  And the Bettinardi is stunning.

I ordered one with matte blue oil a few years ago and it arrived looking almost chocolate color (which appealed to some) but the irregular patina on the face right from new was a turn off straight away.  It's taken me a while to come back to considering another order.

I'm thinking stainless but it appears with blue oil it's still a bit precarious with maintaining it's original appearance.  A safer bet is deepwater or black oxide.  Otherwise it's back to glass blass/tour satin.

I play two Byron carbon head putters (one is finished in black oxide, one is oil can).
I also play two Byron stainless head putters (one is finished glass blast, the other has a brushed stainless finish).
The brushed stainless finish is the putter of mine that gets the most play.

Gava

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:31:00 AM »
Yes brushed stainless is a pretty eye catching as well.  Maybe that's the safe option as I couldn't see that requiring too much maintenance. 

If you go for high polish sole on stainless (regardless of finish) I gather that would show signs of wear pretty quickly?

oneaugusta

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
Here are my blue oil putters.  They are ALL holding up well, but as I've said in the other threads this is a very high maintenance finish and you have to put in the work.  The 007 is the oldest in here (about 3 years old with this finish) and it is holding up great with regular care.  The 611 matte blue oil is showing the most "issues" (some fading on surfaces and patina in the seams of the putter), but nothing worth getting too stewed about...

Even threw in here a blue oil job done by BOS Golf - it's the Bettinardi in the pictures and the finish is their polished "aquamarine"...

My opinion stays the same - this is a great finish but you need to (a) know what you're getting into since it varies greatly across steel types and degree of polish, and (b) be ready to put in the regular maintenance work.
you have great taste in putters, love them all.
Titleist 917 driver
Exotics 4 wood
Miura CB57 irons and wedges
Hybrids Nickent
David Mills Heritage SS, Heritage carbon v2, V3 SS Ming
Byron Carbon DH89, Bombora
Machine M10
Byron member # 0440

Gava

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
Another example of color variation was when I ordered a 006 a few years ago.

I wanted the matte blue oil finish just like the first photo here from Mr Morgan's website.

The following pics are my 006 prior to delivery.  And don't get me wrong, I was excited despite a darker and less blue appearance than expected.  But the next reply will have pics in hand and a couple of macros of the patina.

Gava

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
And the in hand pics for your consideration.  Like Gio's experience, just not what I was expecting.  There's even irregularities on the neck and toe in the cavity shot.  So to get such a different result from the sample pic from the website (which I think I even posted to Steve when ordering) was a surprise.

Again, not a whinge thread.  Would really like to see some more pics of blue oil finishes over time.

TrueRoll140

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 10:06:44 PM »
Heat + Stainless can always be a bit unpredictable when the putter hits the elements. There’s certiny some luck involved.

Personally, I love the look of a blue oil finish that’s browned out with age/use. But I totally understand  the desire for the original color to remain.

Gava

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:30:03 PM »
Heat + Stainless can always be a bit unpredictable when the putter hits the elements. There’s certiny some luck involved.

Personally, I love the look of a blue oil finish that’s browned out with age/use. But I totally understand  the desire for the original color to remain.

I am just finalizing an order with Steve.  It's been a few years and this will be my third custom Byron.

If the polished or brushed blue oil was guaranteed to stay that way, I would order it in a heartbeat.  Despite the selection of stainless and that I care for my putters, I'm not a fan of patina.  There is a limited sample size of reference pics of blue oil aging (was hoping for more in this thread) but enough for me to know I can't take the chance.

The tour satin I had from one order was great but am thinking brushed stainless for that lasting wow factor like this;

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
I am happy with my brushed finish- I am pretty sure you will enjoy it as well.
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

Gava

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Yes I agree that looks really good.  I've read Byron's comments about it being an 'industrial' look but I think it's a bit more classy than that.  And will retain it's lustre. 

I wanted to see lots of pics of aging blue oil to help with my decision.  The couple that I have seen have pointed me towards my second preference of brushed stainless.

And if I liked a darker finish it would be deep water.

Oneputt

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
I am happy with my brushed finish- I am pretty sure you will enjoy it as well.

Beauty  :)

Oneputt

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Yes I agree that looks really good.  I've read Byron's comments about it being an 'industrial' look but I think it's a bit more classy than that.  And will retain it's lustre. 

I wanted to see lots of pics of aging blue oil to help with my decision.  The couple that I have seen have pointed me towards my second preference of brushed stainless.

And if I liked a darker finish it would be deep water.

I expect you will be pleased with Byron's brushed stainless finish.
Which putter model are you ordering ?

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »
Looking fwd to seeing the end result Gav! 👍

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Gava

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »
Haha, this is becoming more of a build thread than an 'aging blue oil' thread...

I have a Newport/DH89 preference in a blade so will definitely be a DH89.

And thanks for the interest Rob.  Have whittled it down to a very few gamers and sentimental pieces unlike the museum of putter art you have.  ;)

fharbist

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »
What did you end up going with??  Ironically, I just picked up another blue oil Byron and this one is a little more grey than the others (brushed blue oil on carbon).  Just reinforces the "variability" comments above and how you really have to be flexible/tolerant when you go that route.....

Best of luck.  To echo Rob, would love to see your final result

Gava

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
Thanks Frank.  That 612 is another interesting variation of the blue oil finish - I assume carbon to get that dark?

I like my putters to remain very close to how they arrive from Byron's workshop.  Take Mikeytown's famous 'ERASER' blue oil masterpiece.  I would be disappointed if that lost any of it's lustre with normal use and care.

So I'm just finalizing my order now with Steve.  I spotted a feature another putter artisan added to the face and have asked Steve to check if Byron would do it (and price of course).  Other than that, it will be a short round pipe with a high polished sole and most likely brushed stainless as per pics above.

Love the look of new brushed and polished blue oil but nothing in this thread has allayed my concerns with the aging blue oil.

newport2

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 04:12:04 AM »
Faded flame blue oil on SS, 5 years old and still looking good   8)

Gava

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 05:16:21 AM »
Love getting replies to this topic - thanks for posting up.

Did you have any pics from new or a link to the release photos from Byron at all?  And do you give it much maintenance?

Looks like a really nice piece.  Glad you're happy with it.

Gav

Edit:  And the bumper slogan - ex Marine?  Obviously a special putter for you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:20:25 AM by Gava »

newport2

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:48 AM »
It's been around. I'm in Ireland and I bought it from a guy in Italy who bought it from a guy on this site. Here's the original photos, I don't think it's aged much at all really. Regarding maintenance, always rinse and dry it after a round. Every month or so I put it in warm soapy water for 10 mins and then rinse and dry. That's it!

Gava

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »

eddiea54

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
I've got a blue oil Bombora that has been heavily gamed for years and years.  I'll post a pic later. 
ea.byronputters@gmail.com

www.byronputters.com

The Roll Abides

Gava

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
I've got a blue oil Bombora that has been heavily gamed for years and years.  I'll post a pic later.

C'mon Eddie, that was 3 weeks ago mate...lol.

Actually on my draft custom order that people have been waiting to see, the consternation was whether Byron could do a very specific milling fade out to polished heel like I've seen on a Tyson Lamb putter for example.  It's not something Byron regularly does so he needed to figure out how best to create this and I got the impression it may be expensive to figure out.  I'm trying to decide if I want it included in my order or not..? 

fharbist

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
Actually on my draft custom order that people have been waiting to see, the consternation was whether Byron could do a very specific milling fade out to polished heel like I've seen on a Tyson Lamb putter for example.

Picture of this face milling treatment??  Gav, hope your US trip was a success

Gava

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
I'm not sure how thrilled Byron will be about it as I am pretty sure he's not overly keen to do it. As a result, I'm leaning towards not including it in my order anyway so I guess I can post the TL example for you Frank.  Way off topic though...lol.

fharbist

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »
Thank you.  That is pretty cool.  David Mills (and others) used to do something where there was a (abrupt) transition at the heel from milling to no milling.  But I've not seen it done in a fade-out like this...

Gava

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
Neither had I.  I was hoping to reveal on the finished putter but as I said, Byron didn't say no but wasn't sure how to best execute it when I popped in.  I left with the impression that it was going to be a bit complicated and a bit expensive given how busy he is.  So I'm rethinking the order now.

bogie

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »
Here is my DH-89 with a polished Blue Oil Can finish. It is on SS and has never changed as far as I can tell. We do have to consider the chemicals put on greens to keep them nice. Who knows how any putter will or can react to the variety of chemicals used?
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19
Scotty Cameron 2008 Newport 2

Oneputt

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
Here is my DH-89 with a polished Blue Oil Can finish. It is on SS and has never changed as far as I can tell. We do have to consider the chemicals put on greens to keep them nice. Who knows how any putter will or can react to the variety of chemicals used?

Other than brushed stainless, I expect all finishes are susceptible to damage from the chemicals used to maintain putting greens.

Gava

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
Absolutely agree Oneputt.  And thanks for posting up those pics bogie.

I've just been taking notice of a lot of the pre-owned BM putters popping up in classifieds & eBay etc and very few seem to keep that striking luster aside from the brushed stainless.  I gather it's from a lack of care/maintenance and I tend to look after my putters.

Oneputt

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
Absolutely agree Oneputt.  And thanks for posting up those pics bogie.

I've just been taking notice of a lot of the pre-owned BM putters popping up in classifieds & eBay etc and very few seem to keep that striking luster aside from the brushed stainless.  I gather it's from a lack of care/maintenance and I tend to look after my putters.

Considering all factors, Brushed Stainless is a sensational putter finish. In stainless I have a Brushed as well as Glass Blast, In carbon I have a Black Oxide and an Oil Can. The Brushed Stainless is the one I play most often.

bogie

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »
I totally agree! That's my go to putter, not the I don't like the 612 which is also a super putter. 

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19

Serr

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:00 PM »
My blue oil got completely trashed from chemicals.

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=45720.msg439959#msg439959

Gava

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 02:51:13 AM »
Sorry to hear.  I've looked at that thread before when you were considering a color change.

The putter looks okay in those photos.  So is it since then that it's been damaged?  Pictures?

Serr

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 11:09:10 PM »
Yeah it's black now Gava. Sadly my blue oil lasted me 3 months and 1 round ruined the finish. Was not happy whatsoever. It happens and moved on.

bogie

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
So sorry to hear that. I played a course with beautiful greens and the maintenance people put the wrong two chemicals on the greens at the same time and fried them all in one day! It took 6 months before they re-opened. So I am very careful on greens newly sprayed, punched, or treated. But that sucks.

Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612
Byron Morgan 615
Slighter Ninja XM-19

Gava

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2018, 02:48:22 AM »
Yeah it's black now Gava. Sadly my blue oil lasted me 3 months and 1 round ruined the finish. Was not happy whatsoever. It happens and moved on.

Duh...of course, no blue oil.  Still looks good but takes away that blue oil wow factor.

Yep, this thread has convinced me that for a lasting luster that isn't too shiny in direct sunlight I think the brushed stainless is the go.