Author Topic: Santa Fe Re-Shaft  (Read 666 times)

Ironclad

Santa Fe Re-Shaft
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
Gents,
My father-in-law bought me a Santa Fe recently. This one to be exact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotty-Cameron-putter-Original-Santa-Fe-1996-/322687630557?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45727%26meid%3Dbbabc7bd6d9c4dbab1fc5c071a40c518%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182730166597&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=NuNumzVz3zLsByim5jQEjFE7shc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Apparently it's in the mail so I haven't received it yet. It was listed as cut down to 33" but I like my putters at 35.5". The listing claims it is a 1996 Santa Fe. Not sure if the listing/details are correct. I want to have it re-shafted but don't want to send it to Cameron because of the long wait times.  What are the original specs for this shaft from the factory and where can I buy a replacement? Golfworks?

Any info/advice on shaft options would be much appreciated.
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe
Bettinardi Studio Stock 6

I covet every Designed By Captain Morgan

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
Re: Santa Fe Re-Shaft
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
Get a stepless true temper shaft from Chip here on PT or extend the original shaft.
Chip has the true temper 355 stepless shaft that goes great over hosel like on your Santa fe. If you want to keep the original shaft just get some extensions and epoxy from ebay
Chip Usher username here on PT also Black lab Putters Chipaputt
RC
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

Ironclad

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
RC,
Thanks for the quick feedback. From the pics on EBay, it appears to show a stepped shaft but fluted (if that means swelling or increasing at the end near the hosel). What is the difference in terms of feel/performance in a stepped shaft vs. straight shaft?
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

rclarke1

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
AFAIK, Camerons were (mostly) factory equipped with stepless, but I could be wrong.
As far as the difference, I don't really know, other than stepped are intended to flex a certain way.
I believe it is more important the lie, loft and swing weight (head weight) is right for your stroke than the shaft, which is more of a "feel" factor.
I personally prefer a stepless shaft, but If one orders a new Byron Morgan, you get a stepped shaft, as an example.
Every Scotty Cameron I have ever owned, other than after market refurbished, has had a stepless shaft.
But the caveat is I no longer own any SC product, and there are many others here, that are collectors and experts in SC products.

VNutz

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
The original shaft on these was stepped. Stepless began IIRC around 2008. I believe it should be a .382 flare neck shaft.

fharbist

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »
Agree with VNutz.  I reshafted a Santa Fe that George Palumbi refinished and it took the 382 flare-tip.  Not sure you can buy these after-market other than in stepless, though.  I got mine new off some eBay store (and might be able to find the name of the place where I bought it, although I'm sure there are lots). 

Also have an original Santa Fe 2 and it has flare-tip stepped.  Good luck!!

BTW, one the best purchases I've ever made in all my putter collecting has been a caliper.  Really comes in handy on situations like this....  The other great thing to have is a scale, too, IMO

Ironclad

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
Thanks to all for the feedback. I'll go with a .382 flare-tip. Surprising to not be able to find a stepped version of the shaft on the open market. I like soft feedback and in theory a stepped shaft, but I doubt if I could tell the difference between stepped and stepless blindfolded.

I've got access to calipers. Certainly appreciate the suggestion.
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
I'll see if I have one for you.  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Ironclad

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »

Rob

Rob,
You are indeed the man if you can work some magic!
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
The specific shaft is SC-YHSF.  It's a head speed shaft, same as the Wilson 8802, but slightly thicker steps to get up to a .600 butt.  AFAIK the SC-YHSF was proprietary.  You can go with a YHSF off any 8802 or Cleveland Designed by, or grab a stepless YESTF. 

If the current shaft is playable, but short, why not extend it?
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 03:55:41 AM »

Rob
I will be at the old place on Monday and can check it out then. I kn ow I have a bunch of AOP Shafts which were stepped also and a couple were flare necked. the Santa Fe had the Black and Gold shaftband though as opposed to the Shield IMMIC. Will let you know, haven't forgotten.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Ironclad

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
The specific shaft is SC-YHSF.  It's a head speed shaft, same as the Wilson 8802, but slightly thicker steps to get up to a .600 butt.  AFAIK the SC-YHSF was proprietary.  You can go with a YHSF off any 8802 or Cleveland Designed by, or grab a stepless YESTF. 

Stage,
Thanks for chiming in. I remember reading alot of your posts on this and other forums, particularly because of your knowledge and respect of 8802 style putters.

Regarding extending the original shaft, how stable is an extension? In this case, it would only be two inches because I play a 35" rather than 33" which the putter is now. Obviously the wrap and grip would help, but are they fairly seamless? Can they be felt beneath the grip? And does an extension affect the transmission of feel up the shaft and through the grip in any real way?
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

Ironclad

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »

Rob
I will be at the old place on Monday and can check it out then. I kn ow I have a bunch of AOP Shafts which were stepped also and a couple were flare necked. the Santa Fe had the Black and Gold shaftband though as opposed to the Shield IMMIC. Will let you know, haven't forgotten.

Rob
Thanks Rob, no rush. Appreciate your efforts!
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »

Stage,
Thanks for chiming in. I remember reading alot of your posts on this and other forums, particularly because of your knowledge and respect of 8802 style putters.

Regarding extending the original shaft, how stable is an extension? In this case, it would only be two inches because I play a 35" rather than 33" which the putter is now. Obviously the wrap and grip would help, but are they fairly seamless? Can they be felt beneath the grip? And does an extension affect the transmission of feel up the shaft and through the grip in any real way?
Dave

In my opinion, no.  An extension could nullify some vibration at the joint, but not nearly as much as the grip will.  And the grip will start attenuating those vibrations further down the shaft.  As long as the extension is done properly with a good joint and epoxy, I wouldn't hesitate to use the old shaft, provided the shaft is in otherwise good condition.  Plus, it allows you to retain the original shaft/shaftband if it is still there.  Keeping an original shaftband is a higher priority in my book than a shaft without an extension. 

Your only worry would be if you are using a VERY thin grip like a Pingman/Traction Action grip.  Then you might be able to feel the joint.   Usually, I'll add one wrap of tape to help make the joint more seamless.  But if you want a very thin grip, that wouldn't be an option. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

rclarke1

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

Stage,

Dave

In my opinion, no.  An extension could nullify some vibration at the joint, but not nearly as much as the grip will.  And the grip will start attenuating those vibrations further down the shaft.  As long as the extension is done properly with a good joint and epoxy, I wouldn't hesitate to use the old shaft, provided the shaft is in otherwise good condition.  Plus, it allows you to retain the original shaft/shaftband if it is still there.  Keeping an original shaftband is a higher priority in my book than a shaft without an extension. 

Your only worry would be if you are using a VERY thin grip like a Pingman/Traction Action grip.  Then you might be able to feel the joint.   Usually, I'll add one wrap of tape to help make the joint more seamless.  But if you want a very thin grip, that wouldn't be an option.

BIG +1 on this

Rob McHugh

• Rob McHugh
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
Dave,

We have bummed out and I am very sorry!!

I only have plumbers necks.

To be honest, I would take the advice above and stick an extension on it. Get it done by a pro and it will be no different at all.

Very sorry I couldn't help you out mate.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Ironclad

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Rob,
Thanks again for checking. No worries!

Gents,
Apppreciate the overall technical input. In light of the feedback, an extension probably makes the most sense. I'll send out an update (with pics) in a few weeks. Going to be traveling for work for the next few weeks.

Have a great week,
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe

Ironclad

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »
Fellas,
Just wanted to provide you with an update. Although I did order a step-less flare-tip replacement shaft, I decided to simply extend the original shaft before considering a total re-shaft (Total Re-Shaft sounds like some bad Schwarzenegger film). Figured it couldn't hurt to follow the recommendation of Stage. Took it to a local assistant pro who is a club-builder in his "spare time".

I've now rolled it for two rounds. I honestly can't tell in any physical way or "feel" way that it is an extended shaft. I never would've known it if somebody handed it to me and said "What do you think?" First round I had 32 putts with a few 3-putts mixed in. Second round I had 23 putts. Ridiculously low number owing to the fact that I putted really well but I have to give WAY more credit to my pitching and chipping. I didn't hit many greens but I didn't see very many long par putts. Also chipped in once. To be clear, I'm no Seve. I'm just a 7-capper with decent scrambling abilities. Wayward off the tee is my biggest problem.

Thanks again for sharing your putter insights.
Dave
SC American Classic VII
SC Studio Design 2.5
SC 1996 Santa Fe