Author Topic: Lightweight Morgan ???  (Read 3529 times)

BladeJunkie

Lightweight Morgan ???
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »
Would it be possible to place an order for a carbon Anser and/or My Day style putter with a headweight similar to the original Ping models at 300g-310g?

I'm looking at a 36" overall length, with a finished swingweight of D3-D5 and an overall weight of no more then 495g, using a 60-65g grip.

BladeJunkie

Re: Lightweight Morgan ???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
Shall I assume that's a "NO"?

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
I know he has epic day heads available but not sure if he can get the weight down. Not sure who your working with but I can help with your request.

Jimmy

BladeJunkie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
Jimmy, I'm not working with anyone. I love the feel of carbon steel, but I'm also committed to the specs you see above.

I submitted this question six and a half years ago thinking I might hear back from someone. Not hearing back from anyone, I just assumed that perhaps carbon steel was too heavy/dense to fashion an Anser-style head that was under 310g.

BTA, perhaps advancing metallurgical technology will now allow that option... ??

Happy Trails,
Jack

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 07:04:20 AM »
Holy crap !

I just looked at the date of your original post.

If the original program produced a 350 gram head you could probably remove some weight from the sole or even the face. Just not sure how much. The CNC program could also be modified but I'm not sure any manufacturer would take the time to do that to mill one head.

Jimmy

jpwb8

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »
Well for most steel heads you'd need to shift somewhere between 6 and 7 cm^2 of material.

Could be off the face, could be milled out of a cavity, could even lower the face height a little bit.

I'm not a manufacturer so I don't know how easy that would be to shift that much weight without compromising the look of the putter.
Bombora Secrets
Tad Moore Barn Find
Mills One
Acushnet Bullseye (flanged)

game 'em all!

Will Par

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »
If you can find a used John Byron Dale Head it will be close to your specs.  I have one 35", 510 gm, D5, with a Pingman 60gm. grip.  As nice an Anser shape as you can find anywhere.
You have to be realistic about putting, and accept the fact that you're probably never going to putt as well as you think you ought to.  --Jack Nicklaus

Will Par

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »
Correction.  The specs above are before I removed lead tape and changed to a lighter grip. I just checked the specs again on my scale and the total weight is 495 grams, swingweight is C9 at 35 inches.  May be exactly what you need.  It is carbon steel.
You have to be realistic about putting, and accept the fact that you're probably never going to putt as well as you think you ought to.  --Jack Nicklaus

BladeJunkie

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
Thanks Will... sounds interesting. Is yours available? If so, PM me...

Will Par

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
I'll be keeping mine.

BladeJunkie

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
I totally understand :'( ... could you give me an idea of what nice examples sell for?

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
I totally understand :'( ... could you give me an idea of what nice examples sell for?

If you check out the 'bay and search 'John Byron Putter' there are often Dale Heads for sale...

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

BladeJunkie

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
Thanks Jim, I did that last night. Just wanted to get Will's take...

Will Par

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
I found the one I have at Play It Again Sports a few years ago.  Paid $50.  It had a ratty grip and had been shortened to 33 inches, but the head was almost like new. Shaft still has the JB shaft band.  I extended it to 35 inches.  I've seen similar on the Bay for around $100 or a little more in what appears to be very good condition.  The picture I posted is not my putter, but mine is identical in looks and condition except it has no paint fill in the cavity.  No sight line on the one I have.  You can hopefully find better than what is available on the Bay now.  I'm not interested in selling mine.