Author Topic: Unique - TP Mills Tungsten?  (Read 433 times)

JTeke

Unique - TP Mills Tungsten?
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
Hey Guys,
Came across this one and picked it up because I liked the look. 

Does anyone have any information on this?  It appears to have tungsten weights in the sole. 

Do you think this is a TP or a David...and is it original or refinished.

The seller said it was a Spaulding that was refinished, but just from looking at it, I don't think that's the case. 

Has a fluted pencil shaft in it. 
One Putt...at a time

JelUltra

• Mmmm... Buttery Blades!
Re: Unique - TP Mills Tungsten?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »
Based on the stamping, it looks to be an original TP that someone has modified.

The large punches between the T and P as well and the larger cross hairs leads me to believe it's a TP.

I'm looking through different putters that I've seen to see if it's a TP handmade vs. a production model.  I haven't seen too many TPs that have the flange 'cavity' in the back.  Plus - it has a long, pencil shaft hosel which is something that needs to be done in the shop.

Where did you get it?

Pretty cool looking putter!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:06:37 PM by JelUltra »
Read it, roll it, hole it.

JTeke

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
Ebay ... used the BIN option. 

The fact that the S didn't completely show up on the TP Mills makes me think handmade.  Worth mentioning...the site line vs. the "O". 

Did TP or David ever do tungsten inserts?  It works super nicely with this putter - brings the headweight up. 

It came with a black leather old school TP Mills headcover (with the velcro in the front).  My only wish is that it had a Lamkin slip on leather grip...anyone have one? 
One Putt...at a time

RT301

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »
I have never seen or heard of TP or David doing plugs for weight.  But that doesn't mean it's aftermarket.. I once saw a putter with holes drilled into the neck, avoided it and it turned out to be 100% authentic.  Kicking myself ever since.
The "s" on the face could be caused by additional grinding .  It's definitely a cool looking putter. Could you post a picture of the headcover?  Send a picture to David; he would remember it I'm sure.

Tim

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:10 AM »
Definitely TP I think. If the weights are aftermarket, they have done a terrific job of it. Very cool, congratulations.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

JTeke

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
what model would you guys say this is?
One Putt...at a time

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
Tom Slighter does restorations and in doing them has added tungsten weights, so that may be a possible direction to look... it is a nice thing to have putters that have been through the hands of several masters. I have a Tad Moore that started it's life as a Majic 55, then went to Morgan Mann for a new neck, then years later, back to LaMont Mann for some restoration including a new old stock grip directly from the man himself!

It would be cool if we could trace the path that this has had to this point...

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

JTeke

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:02 PM »
Tom Slighter does restorations and in doing them has added tungsten weights, so that may be a possible direction to look... it is a nice thing to have putters that have been through the hands of several masters. I have a Tad Moore that started it's life as a Majic 55, then went to Morgan Mann for a new neck, then years later, back to LaMont Mann for some restoration including a new old stock grip directly from the man himself!

It would be cool if we could trace the path that this has had to this point...

Jimbo  8)

I don't think Tom has a quality black oxide finish...so I don't think it's him because of the finish on the face/sole. 
One Putt...at a time

JTeke

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
I have never seen or heard of TP or David doing plugs for weight.  But that doesn't mean it's aftermarket.. I once saw a putter with holes drilled into the neck, avoided it and it turned out to be 100% authentic.  Kicking myself ever since.
The "s" on the face could be caused by additional grinding .  It's definitely a cool looking putter. Could you post a picture of the headcover?  Send a picture to David; he would remember it I'm sure.

Tim

What's David's email? 
One Putt...at a time

RT301

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
This is the email address that has been suggested here:

tpmills@comcast.net

Tim

JTeke

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »