Author Topic: Model Year  (Read 403 times)

Riggs

Model Year
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Anyone able to give me an idea of roughly what year this is from? Been in my basement forever and I'm going to start gaming it again.

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
Re: Model Year
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »
I cannot tell from the photo, but it appears to be a BeCu Anser. If that is the case, Ping released the BeCu Eye 2's in 1984 and I should imagine that would be the vintage of the Putter give or take a year or two.

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

FrankenScotty

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »
This is Lumpy's BeCu & BeNi chart from a few years ago,

According to the Ping putter availability chart that I have dated August 1997, the following putters were available in Beryllium Copper :

Anser 2
Anser 4
Anser 5
Anser 5 KS
B60
B61
CU 5
Cushin
Eye 2
Gowin 5
J-Blade
Pal 2
Pal 4
Pal 5
Pal 6
Scottsdale Anser
Zing 2
Zing 5
Zing 5 KS

So it would appear that your putter is Manganese Bronze, and if that Zipcode is 85068, then it was probably manufactured in the 1980's sometime or possibly even the late 70's as a guess, Cheers.
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

Riggs

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
Cool! Thanks guys!

hi2jimbob

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:18:34 PM »
I first started golfing at Karamursel CDI Turkey in 1971. My wife bought me a set of Jack Nicklaus Tourney clubs and a Ping putter. I loved that putter, but when I thought I'd never golf again due to shoulder injuries I sold the clubs when I got stationed in D.C. I forgot to take the putter out of the bag. I couldn't get in touch with the Sgt that bought the clubs. I would think the putter was a late 60s or 1970 model. It had a slit in the bottom and would go "ping" when the ball touched the blade. Anyone have an idea of the model etc.?

FrankenScotty

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
G'day Jimbob,

Did your putter head look the same as the picture above of Riggs's?

Was the shaft going into a hosel, like the above also? Or did the shaft go directly into the head (no hosel)?

Do you remember any of the address wording that was in the cavity?

If it was from the era that you say, it could have been built in Scottsdale or be a very early Phoenix model, possibly having Karsten Co in the cavity with the Phoenix address,

The model would probably have been an Anser, Cushin, or Kushin, if it only had the single sound slot cut into the sole of the head,

Some other models have floating faces as well, the 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A, but these were a few years before 1970, but they make the loudest "Ping" sound though,

As a guess, your putter would have been an Anser, if the shaft went into a hosel, and either a Cushin or Kushin, if the bent shaft went directly into the head, cheers Steve.

ecschwalbe

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:18 AM »
I just got a new putter and was wondering the year. It simply says "KARSTEN PHOENIX AZ 85029 MADE IN U.S.A." It has a sound slot and has "PING®" and "©ANSER" stamped on it. Any info would be appreciated

FrankenScotty

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
A picture would help a little,

The positioning of the wording can help roughly date a putter,

If it has trademark stamping on the bumpers as well, it could probably be a 70's model at the earliest,

But more than likely newer than that,

A picture of the shaft band and grip can also help determine a rough age, cheers Steve.

FrankenScotty

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
Forgot to add, that if KARSTEN is in capitals, and larger than the rest of the address, I think that it may be an early 90's model.

If possible, a few pictures would help, cheers Steve.