Author Topic: shortening the putter  (Read 4928 times)

allenchapel

shortening the putter
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
I own a BHB6-CC "Hoganardi" and was curious if shortening it from 35 to 33 would hurt the putters performance. The local pro said he wouldn't chop a scotty or Bett because it throws off the weight, still i find the putters to long and would like to shorten it. Any thoughts?

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
Re: shortening the putter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »
I think that's a very good question :)

Jimmy

Mr. Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:46:22 PM »
Allen:

Any time you cut the length of a putter, you are changing the swing weight. What this means to YOU is a lighter head feel. Some people prefer heavier, some lighter. I WOULD caution you that once you cut it, the plugs they use to lengthen are a different weight, and can throw things off further.

It's like a haircut...it's easy to take it off, and hard to put it back on.

As far a performance, that's up to you. The putter will still roll a ball. It isn't going to change THAT aspect one bit.

I hope that helps.
::: currently fixing all the things that have been bugging me for months :::

double_B

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »
Thats right shortening it wont change the performance of the putter but it will change the swing weight and make the head feel lighter for you...now whether or not you would mind a ligher feeling head is up to you...if it will bother you then you should probably sell that putter and go get a Bettinardi with a little heavier head weight like 350 grams or so. 

jcigars

• Section Moderator
  • 303MILLED.COM
    • 303 Milled
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:25 PM »
Say I have a 345 gram head and 33" length shaft. What would the swing weight be ?

Jimmy

502 to Right

• Aaron Baddeley
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
Cameron's Studio Style 33/350 putters swingweight about C9 or D0 for reference.  I would bet a 33/345 would swingweight around C8.

xxio

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
My NP PP 33/350 swingweights a bit more than D2???

I had a BHB8C that was 35", that I chopped dwon to my preferred 33.75" from D5 (the stock grip is light so that helps), it ended up C8sh. I added 3 strips of lead tape to get it back up to D4.

The stock 35" Hoganardis are 335grams headweight. You can try to extrapolate the swingweight from there using your preferred grip.

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »
I am not sure what my AC VII swingweight was before I cut it to 33.5.  I did add lead tape (4 strips of 1/2" wide tape, 3 inches long) to bring the swingweight to D1.  The putter feels right for me.
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
Scotty Cameron American Classic VII
Cleveland Corey Pavin
and a few others

mekeni

• Oldskool
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »
My answer to this is bias bec I do like my putters short and light. Im 5'5" 30" wrist to floor. 33" putter to me is still long. I have a Newport 2 33/350 and futura cut down to 32" works great for me. I actually took of the screw on weight on my futura which for me works better. If you really cant stand it cut it down but see if you can get replacement shaft for it in case you change your mind. To me putting is all about feel and comfort.. So by all means experiment..

allenchapel

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback, I think I'll shorten the putter then if need be try lead tape. I'll let you guys know how it works. Thanks.