Author Topic: Custom Putter Makers  (Read 289 times)

Kaexo

Custom Putter Makers
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
Which one do you guys prefer and why?

Edit: my vote is for Xenon. His prices compared to his level of quality and craftsmanship is unmatched. 

I am a fan of Byron Morgan but I don't feel his putters are truly custom anymore. Unless you have a huge order then you're pretty limited on finishes you can get. Also his prices are double that of Xenon's.

I currently game a Piretti Cottonwood 2 and love Piretti's but again you're looking at triple or quadruple the price of a Xenon and I don't think any Piretti's are handmade anymore.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:01:50 PM by Kaexo »

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
Re: Custom Putter Makers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
I love Byron's work, as well as Mike's.  I think Truett was an innovator and his legacy is carried on by David. 

From a true original craftsman's standpoint, if I wanted to create something absolutely original, I'd go with Lumpy first, and Kari second.  My 3rd and 4th aren't on the list in LaMont Mann and Gene Nead.  I think these gentlemen are more outside the box with their skills and can literally make what is in your head better than the others. 

That doesn't mean the others aren't good.  They all have mad skillz. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Kaexo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
Yeah I agree. Luckily I live 40 mins from Lumpy. About to pay my deposit for a 100% handmade gss element in tye dye finish to commerate my son's 1st birthday.

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
You won't be disappointed.  Lumpy won't let you be...

I love both his and Kari's use of different materials.
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Yeah I agree. Luckily I live 40 mins from Lumpy. About to pay my deposit for a 100% handmade gss element in tye dye finish to commerate my son's 1st birthday.
Looking fwd to pictures!  :)

Rob
Kind regards,
Rob

Kaexo

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Will do Rob. For the price of Lumpy's putters it would be hard to justify going anywhere else for a handmade custom putter. The only closer one with the same quality would be LaMont Mann.

zero3s

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »
If you were to add Nead and Lamont, possibly my top two (ya gotta love their welds!!),  it would be hard to go wrong with any of these, all of which I've owned. Piretti - excellent putters but I thnk of them now as more of a production, rather than custom, operation.

gottaputt

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
As was already stated...they all have mad skills.

towncryer

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
I've only ordered from Byron, so I voted Byron. There was a slight hiccup in the process getting me exactly what I ordered, but Steve and Byron took care of it and then some. Ended up with exactly what I've always wanted.

dans4fun

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »
 :)

I'm sure all these guys would build you a great putter.

My vote goes for Byron.  Don't think that I've ever had one in my hands that didn't feel just right.  The looks are second to none. 

Price may be a little higher.  I think some of that comes from success.  Good new and bad news!

It's fun checking out these great putters.  Still have to put a Lajosi in the stable though !

Dan

bogie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
I have been very impressed with Byron Morgan's putters. I saw a head only on eBay and bought it at a very good price and a shaft at the same time. After it was put together I went to the practice green at the local muni. I putted super and loved the feel. (365 gram head) In a small league I play in I won two putting contests in a row. So I used it for a number of weeks and continued to putt extremely well. Impatience got me and I ordered a custom DH89. It came in 4 weeks with everything I want on a putter. I have been in putter heaven ever since sinking some great putts. It appears Byron can and will do anything you want. That's all I can ask for in a putter artisan.  :D
“Success in this game depends less on strength of body than strength of mind and character.” – Arnold Palmer
Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Bettinardi BB1-SS-Proto
BB28 RAW Limited
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan X-Prototype