Author Topic: New Hand Mades  (Read 16990 times)

sizemoregolf

New Hand Mades
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
here are some pics. of 5 unfinished hand mades.  we will probably do five different finishes: black, torch, golden, oil and maybe leave one silver.

these are very clean with milled face finishes and some limited hand stamping

hand made #1
a plumber's neck with a back cavity
carbon steel - needs to be finished
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:58:18 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

Re: New Hand Mades
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
hand made #2
a second plumber's neck - no back cavity and a different face finish
carbon steel - needs to be finished
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:58:35 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
hand made #3
a different flowing neck - no back cavity
stainless steel
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:58:49 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
hand made #4
less off set and a back cavity
stainless steel
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:59:04 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
hand made #5
similar face finish - no back cavity
stainless steel
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:59:18 PM by sizemoregolf »

cnosil

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
Nice looking putters. Not used to seeing something so "traditional" looking from the sizemore camp.

AJT

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »
Really nice putters! Can't wait to see some finishes on them.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
since taking over the design responsibilities, i aimed for a "cleaner" look with my first 2 redesigns (b-1c and b-2c) of our original xb-1/sb-1 and xb-2/sb-2 and then i tried a more "classic" look with the cb-8 (although i added the back cavity) and now these handmades kind of complete the circle with the most "traditional" look of any of our putters.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:05:45 PM by sizemoregolf »

AJT

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
since taking over the design responsibilities, i first aimed at a "cleaner" look with my first 2 redesigns (b-1c and b-2c) of our original xb-1/sb-1 and xb-2/sb-2 and then i tried a more "classic" look with the cb-8 (although i added the back cavity) and now these handmades kind of complete the circle with the most "traditional" look of any of our putters.

Job well done!
I really like #5!

What are the headweights?

sizemoregolf

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »
thank you.

these are all 350 grams.

gottaputt

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
They look great Scott.  I already have about 6 Sizemores.  I might have to get a few more.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
thanks

can't wait until they have different finishes.

AJT

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:15 PM »
Do you have pricing on these?

CourtGolf

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
Beautiful work !  Can't wait to see them finished.
"Don't do anything well that you don't want to do again." - Bob from "Becker"

AJT

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
What are these made of?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:01:17 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
putter #1 - carbon steel
putter #2 - carbon steel
putter #3 - stainless steel
putter #4 - stainless steel
putter #5 - stainless steel

ak108

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 03:33:19 AM »
Why do they look like Nead putters? I know they are standard head designs but the little details such as stampings, face millings are too similar to Nead putters. Just a comment.
Most Faithful Gamer: Lajosi H3R Albz insert

jr

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 04:43:13 AM »
Why do they look like Nead putters? I know they are standard head designs but the little details such as stampings, face millings are too similar to Nead putters. Just a comment.

The more putter makers you become familiar with the more you will notice similarities in features or in details like face milling patterns or styles, CNC engravings, stampings, etc. Do not make the mistake that just because you first saw one of these features on one putter makers putter that is where it originated and that it was created by the putter maker with whom you are familiar or first saw the specific feature on his putter.

razaar

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12:17 AM »
Some nice looking putters there. What exactly does 'handmade' mean in the context of these putters?
Thinking the way you have always thought will almost certainly assure you putt the way you always have. - Dr Bob Rotella

oldmannoodles

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 05:44:28 AM »
Great looking putters and I love my Sizemore but +1 on the Nead comment (initially thought I'd missed an announcement of Gene joining with Sizemore) and +1 on the "handmade" description (the 3rd pics in reply no.s 1, 2 & 4 seem to scream cnc).

As always, just a personal opinion and happy to be corrected! Great to see more options coming from a quality manufacturer nonetheless.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »
throughout the years, sizemore golf has used many manufacturers (in illinois, florida, california, texas, etc.) to turn a specific design (idea for a putter, weight for the head, neck design, material for the head, design for face milling) into a finished product. 

we have also used many finishers to polish, create custom colors/finishes, hand stamp, paint fill, etc. for our artisan series and custom putters. 

as most of you know, sizemore golf has never been a manufacturer except in the rare case of some early prototypes.  in fact, some of the original copper stix putters were cnc machined in illinois. 

some putter designers also manufacture their heads.  and, some designers actually manufacture and finish their heads.   

our concept at sizemore golf has always been to design putters (create a concept/putter that we would want to put in our bag) and allow the best manufacturer to cnc mill the heads and the best finisher to polish the heads, sometimes torch or "finish" them and add paint fill to the engraving/hand stamping.  often a manufacturer has made suggestions that we have adopted in the process.  this has not changed with our introduction of our hand mades. 

the bottom line is that we would put any of our handmades in our bag and we believe our customers would agree that our process produces a quality product often with unique features.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:05:37 PM by sizemoregolf »

jr

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »

Great looking putters and I love my Sizemore but +1 on the Nead comment (initially thought I'd missed an announcement of Gene joining with Sizemore) and +1 on the "handmade" description (the 3rd pics in reply no.s 1, 2 & 4 seem to scream cnc).

As always, just a personal opinion and happy to be corrected! Great to see more options coming from a quality manufacturer nonetheless.

What specific face milling and stampings look like they originated with a Nead putter?

gnead

• Section Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
Jr,

What is wrong with you dude, Ray Charles could figure out I made these putters for Scott, I have made a few other style putters for him as well.

Gene
Sometimes you just need to leap and build your wings on the way down

jr

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:22 AM »
Gene, nothing is wrong with me dude and my eyesight is just fine. To me the mill marks and the CNC engraving, stampings and welding (the things that I think the other members were referencing) did not look unique to your putters. The face milling reminded me of Byrons Tuna milling or some of the early milling on Cameron's none production putters pre Titleist but I am sure that many others have had the same milling look and that I am just not familiar with it. The large round mill dot with the stampings inside along with the stamping on the back flange look just like I have seen on other makers putters for 10 years.

I guess if Scott had wanted people to know you milled them then he would have posted that information and no one would have been asking the questions about them.

ak108

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 02:19:50 AM »
Gene, nothing is wrong with me dude and my eyesight is just fine. To me the mill marks and the CNC engraving, stampings and welding (the things that I think the other members were referencing) did not look unique to your putters. The face milling reminded me of Byrons Tuna milling or some of the early milling on Cameron's none production putters pre Titleist but I am sure that many others have had the same milling look and that I am just not familiar with it. The large round mill dot with the stampings inside along with the stamping on the back flange look just like I have seen on other makers putters for 10 years.

I guess if Scott had wanted people to know you milled them then he would have posted that information and no one would have been asking the questions about them.

Yes sir, I am sure you know better. No more comments will be made on the face milling and stampings that I thought are Gene's work. Now back to thinking of the next putter for myself lol.
Most Faithful Gamer: Lajosi H3R Albz insert

pcirelli

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
I think it is great if Sizemore has decided to experiment with a new line of putters that is more traditional and am glad that they decided to display them on PutterTalk.
I think it's great as well, but these putters look like Nead's and not Sizemore's. This is such a drastic deviation from what we're accustomed to seeing from Sizemore. I'm a huge fan of Gene's designs, so the more the merrier!

Thoughts?
-Pete
Byron Morgan DH-89 Mixed Metals Long Neck
Byron Morgan "PMC" Bombora Long Pipe
Byron Morgan 611 CIRELLI sLaNt

sizemoregolf

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
sizemore golf has had more than one designer and the first pic. in pete's post is from our original designer.  also, the first pic. is more of an anser style putter with a plumber's neck. 

we have since experimented, added and/or progressed to some cleaner more classic design features by changing the flange, eliminating the mill marks, removing some alignment features and adding a "flow" neck.  we also removed the copper face insert.

the pics. below show you some (not all) of the progression.  we usually create drawings of our design concepts.

what we were trying to accomplish with the putters in this thread is take the b-1c with the flow neck to a more classic look.  i believe gene made some awesome putters and we only wanted to show pt members some new putters.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:03:17 PM by sizemoregolf »

jr

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
It is easy to see the transformation from your original design to the more traditional look. Nice job.

pcirelli

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
sizemore golf has had more than one designer and the first pic. in pete's post is from our original designer.  also, the first pic. is more of an anser style putter with a plumber's neck. 

we have since experimented, added and/or progressed to some cleaner more classic design features by changing the flange, eliminating the mill marks, removing some alignment features and adding a "flow" neck.  we also removed the copper face insert.

the pics. below show you some (not all) of the progression.  we usually create drawings of our design concepts.

what we were trying to accomplish with the putters in this thread is take the b-1c with the flow neck to a more classic look.  i believe gene made some awesome putters and we only wanted to show pt members some new putters.
Thanks for pics!
-Pete
Byron Morgan DH-89 Mixed Metals Long Neck
Byron Morgan "PMC" Bombora Long Pipe
Byron Morgan 611 CIRELLI sLaNt

sizemoregolf

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
Good points John.

However, if all I did was sell shoes I wouldn't call myself a Cobbler.

sizemore golf has never called ourselves the "cobbler(s)"?  we have almost always designed putters (created or modified a concept) and then overseen the completion of the putter (sometimes we have done much more).

i know on this thread we are discussing a small run of putters and "handmades".  however, on a production run of putters (thousands) which is where sizemore golf has concentrated its efforts, who is the "cobbler"? 

the designer?
the cad operator?
the owner of the machine shop?
the programmer?
the cnc machine operator?
the engraver? 
and, what about finishing (polishing and paint fill) & assembly?
finally, fulfillment?

the above individuals could come from as few as one company and as many as 6 (or more) separate companies.  i cannot speak for others - but, in many cases and for many putter "manufacturers" (especially those who employ production runs) a team approach is most likely used.

again, we are just trying to show pt members some new putters not claim we are something we aren't.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:09:24 PM by sizemoregolf »

cwbrion

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »
I would like to thank Sizemore for giving us this look in the manufacturing part of the golf industry.  There is no need to bash him here on this thread?  He has been open and is willing to respong to questions.  I think it is pretty cool that he is open enough to allow us a peek into the behind the scenes.  A lot of people assume many things about golf products out in the marketplace, but know we are getting a behind the scenes look.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
we have decided on some finishes and i will post pics. as soon as these heads are completed.

gottaputt

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »
Im bored so I'll chime in.

What gets me in this thread is that Sizemore allegedly makes putters, so why would they outsource a putter and then resell it as a Sizemore Handmade?  Weird, if you ask me - as this putter is no more a Sizemore than it is a Ping.  Not to mention, the putters have zero original characteristics that one could identify as a Sizemore. 

T
Let's start bashing Sears because they stick Kenmore and Craftsman on everyting even though they are made by everybody else.

TonyT

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
Wasn't bashing, just observing.  And last I checked Sizemore isn't a retailer like Sears, they are a manufacturer.  If that is wrong please correct.

gottaputt

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
Wasn't bashing, just observing.  And last I checked Sizemore isn't a retailer like Sears, they are a manufacturer.  If that is wrong please correct.
Potato, Potahto!

Redman

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 02:05:31 AM »

I believe from reading the above comments they are NOT a manufacturer and are not claiming to be.  They do mostly design.  And as stated in another post, many many many other putter companies don't do their own manufacturing including one Scotty Cameron.  Cameron basically does the design, has them milled and finished by other companies.  So why is Sizemore getting the beating on this? I actually only know of Mills and Bettinardi actually making their own putters.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
here are some pics. of 4 finished hand mades

Buttafingo

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
here are some pics. of 4 finished hand mades
Where dey at!
Nead AS09 (Gene's 1st SS putter made)
Nead Apple Bottom
Nead BiTi mallet (custom)
HTP Fat Bottom
Lajosi AB2 (torched copper plate)GAMER
Lajosi AB2 (gun metal)

sizemoregolf

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
trying to resize pics.  pics. are too big.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
heads just arrived from MN.  the finishes on these are truly beautiful.  haven't been shafted or gripped.  one of them is already sold.

first, northern lights shine with pink leather grip
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:31:28 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
medium nickel with a green leather grip

sizemoregolf

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
black ox / black jack with white leather grip
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:53:24 PM by sizemoregolf »

sizemoregolf

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
northern lights matte finish
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:27:15 PM by sizemoregolf »

gottaputt

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
Those look great Scott!

sizemoregolf

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
thanks, the finishes look great up close.  i can't tell whether i like the shiny or matte northern lights and the black jack is one of the nicest black oxide finishes i have ever seen.

Kartier

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
So I have to ask...are you guys still making the handstamped Lux putters.  I saw several of them on another site and i am completely interested in ordering one.
Proper Speed + Proper Read = Pay Me.

sizemoregolf

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
yes, we are still making LUX Custom Putters.  we just took an order, today.  if you are interested, please e-mail me at info@sizemoregolf.com