Author Topic: Everything You Wanted To Know About Ping's  (Read 34129 times)

jr

Everything You Wanted To Know About Ping's
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
The attached "book" was made by Lumpy. Here is what he had to say about it:

Quote from: lumpy
I am finally ready to post my book on Ping putters that I started putting together a few years ago after years & years of collecting & searching for info.

I spent many years working on putting the pieces together for this book.  I have never desired to nor will ever desire to make this book available for sale.  It contains original ads & a few photos that were provided to me by other collectors/sources for the book.  Most of the photos in the book were taken by me of items that passed through me to other collectors or pieces I owned at one time or another.  I have no desire profiting from someone else's work & really feel as if I have no right to.  

I think putting my reference guide on this website for everyone to have free access to would -  for me - complete a long journey that I have spent helping others find out facts about the early Ping putters.

Lump

The file is a lower resolution version. We have one that is a little over 30mb but are having trouble getting it uploaded. So in the future you may see a second file that is a larger version for better resolution.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:22:21 PM by jr »

FrankenScotty

Re: Everything You Wanted To Know About Ping's
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:36 AM »
Thanks jr for your efforts,

Lumpy, I am speechless!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing with us your Ping knowledge. This document is an outstanding achievement and is of great historical significance, congratulations on a superb analogical thesis on these trail blazing Ping putters. If you consider your journey complete, so do I, thanks again, cheers Steve.
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

funkyfedora

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:19:21 AM »
WOW!!!!   

Lumpy,

Will there be more additions for stainless and the other mgbr putter? I know it would be quite an undertaking. This book will be printed and bound for a friend or two.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:27:53 AM by funkyfedora »

oldmannoodles

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Quality work Lump  :trophy:

reflog74

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
We all owe Lumpy a debt of gratitude for giving us access to his years of hard work, asking for nothing in return.  Thank you, Kenneth.  You are a class act!

John

Brando5105

• Today's gamer Betti Sig 2
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
thank you lumpy. One amazing piece of work
PGA Professional

My Putters:
Bettinardi Sig 2
Bettinardi Tour Proto
Tour Issue Kombi Long
MannKrafted Ping Redwood
Ping Anser F Ti
Ping JAS Wti
Machine M2A
Palombi ALbrz
SSB Prototype

Saluki1

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »
There are very few people left that are willing to put so much work into something and then share it for free.  Thanks for all your hard work, this is a great gift to many of us who love Ping Putters, thanks again.  When and how much for a hard copy???
Saluki1's GolfSig.com signature!

smitty

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »
I made my own.   ;D

finalist

• Section Moderator
  • The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »
AMAZING! I can't wait to study it!

THANKS Lumpy
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
Unbelievable, Ken you are an absolute Gentleman, i'm in absolute awe.

lumpy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
When I started putting this "book" together years ago, this site did not yet exist.

Words cannot describe how I feel now knowing my "book" is finally where I feel it belongs. 

I cannot express my gratitude to everyone here who have leaned on me for questions that they have had about Ping putters.   I can only hope to continue to be that person that you lean on.

I also give my gratitude to the Mods - Smitty, Jr & Mr.Doug & everyone else who were instrumental in "getting this done" for me.

The format is a little dated & there may be some "spelin' errs" but - - - - -

- - - - -  This book now belongs to Puttertalk & everyone here : :  where it belongs.  :)

Lump  :)

TLouko

• Woodhead Member No. 1962
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
Tremendous work Lumpy....really great. 

Thanks for sharing.
"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

FrankenScotty

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »
You are far too modest Kenneth, the world would be a far, far better place, if there were more people as yourself, in total appreciation, Steve!!

And a heart felt congratulations and thanks to your fellow moderators!!
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

elchene

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »
Awesome!  I'll be reading this instead of doing work...

BladeJunkie

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »
As usual, very well done.  :thumb:

Thank You !

BladeJunkie

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
Lump, would you possibly have any additional adds from the 70's ?

I'm still searching for info regarding the early "My Day".

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:29:00 PM by BladeJunkie »

Pattaya Dave

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

I am finally ready to post my book on Ping putters that I started putting together a few years ago after years & years of collecting & searching for info.

I spent many years working on putting the pieces together for this book.  I have never desired to nor will ever desire to make this book available for sale.  It contains original ads & a few photos that were provided to me by other collectors/sources for the book.  Most of the photos in the book were taken by me of items that passed through me to other collectors or pieces I owned at one time or another.  I have no desire profiting from someone else's work & really feel as if I have no right to. 

I think putting my reference guide on this website for everyone to have free access to would -  for me - complete a long journey that I have spent helping others find out facts about the early Ping putters.

Lump

The file is a lower resolution version. We have one that is a little over 30mb but are having trouble getting it uploaded. So in the future you may see a second file that is a larger version for better resolution.

Great book on the Anser and other early model putters.  I'm new to the forum and I am trying to find some similar information related to the Ping PAL series.  I was looking to purchase either a Ping Pal 2 or Ping Pal 4 BECU model.  Both models have shown up regularly on eBay recently, but I am having difficulty dintinguishing between the two models.  From the pictures, they both appear to share similar characteristics. 

Can anyone share some knowledge of these two putters, their differences and their preference of one over another?

How do they compare to the Anser series?

Pattaya Dave

highslot84

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »
This is truly a great resource. I find it strange that Ping does not have any sort of history or detailed club archive on their website.

We all owe you one Lumpy. cheers.

Dru ( new member )

wentorf11

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
Just had to add a comment thanking Lumpy, you've put together a great resource.  Having never owned a Ping this pushed me over the edge, my first Ping has been waiting for me at home for two days, da~n business trips.  Its not really of the collectible ilk, but I figured a stainless anser 2 was a good place to start.  Now I just need to get an original 1A and the trainer and I'll be off and running. 

oodles

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »

I spent many years working on putting the pieces together for this book.  I have never desired to nor will ever desire to make this book available for sale.  It contains original ads & a few photos that were provided to me by other collectors/sources for the book.  Most of the photos in the book were taken by me of items that passed through me to other collectors or pieces I owned at one time or another.  I have no desire profiting from someone else's work & really feel as if I have no right to. 

I think putting my reference guide on this website for everyone to have free access to would -  for me - complete a long journey that I have spent helping others find out facts about the early Ping putters.

Lump

oodles

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »
I love your work efforts in the collection. Would you know info about the ping "80568"zip code? I have a 1967 Phoenix with the 85029 and it's somewhat different that this one. It has 9 1/4 first , a pro only grip and the D patent number in the cavity. This one I just picked up has a 5 3/4 first step with Box 9990 a 80568 in the cavity and a pingman grip. It also has a mold number 7 just above the "B" in Box. I have read they are more collected because of the luck value in the number. Anyone know when this was first manufactured?

rickp

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
Awesome, great job & well done!!!!

Rick
Rick

tagnut69

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »
Nice work mate.

I would like to know where the eye & eye 2 putters fit in with the story.

Cheers

Chris

Michael Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »
Lumpy, Great work, I can tell it was a labor of love. I acquired my first Redwood City 1-A in 1979 and still occasionally use it.

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
Do feel free to post pics would love to see them, can I ask how many redwoods you have. Great putters

Lumpy, Great work, I can tell it was a labor of love. I acquired my first Redwood City 1-A in 1979 and still occasionally use it.

waterbuddy

Ping 1A Phoenix 85029
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
I just bought a Ping 1A with Phoenix 85029. I'm trying to learn whatever i can about it. I've read quite a bit in the last few days, but still think there is a lot to find out. I read Lumpy's ebook, but it is about earlier putters. Any one know much about these. Or where can i go look?

boatfreaks

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
I too am looking for information about new versions not included in Lumpy's book.  If you ever come across a source of info please let me know,
Thanks
Daryl

mikecjr

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
I have my wife's grandfather's putter; I've been told it is expensive but can't ever seem to find one with the exact same markings. Not listed in your pdf, except possibly one of the patent drawings. It's my every day putter and I love it.  Should I even be using it?

reg

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
I have that exact same putter but have no idea if it is a rare putter or not. Still use it for fooling around on the practice green

Reg

brioma33

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
I actually found that book on line a while back and I was so impressed that I printed out every page and put it in a binder. Now I have it for future reference and used it to look up my last 2 putters I bought. Great job.
Brian

gmannyc

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
I just wanted to join everyone in thanking Lumpy for his gift to us... if you come to Brooklyn, Lumpy, I've got a cold pint with your name on it!
All the best, one and all!

lumpy

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »
I just wanted to join everyone in thanking Lumpy for his gift to us... if you come to Brooklyn, Lumpy, I've got a cold pint with your name on it!
All the best, one and all!

A cold pint!!  Sounds like a road trip.

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 01:46:44 AM »
Thanks, Lumpy!
RC
Xenon X, Ingles .470
RJB7784, RJB8143
Mann MA66, Super Sport
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
Nead Damascus, SRC blade

Eerogolf

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:27 AM »
Love this book. Have had a copy saved on my computer for years. Question, any updates coming maybe a book about the Anser putter ?