Author Topic: C Groove  (Read 12103 times)

Joey

C Groove
« on: January 24, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
Does the idea work or is just another way to hype a putter?  I've been interested in trying one, but don't really think the C Groove milling makes much of a difference.  Problem is that I've never used one and may be way off.

Thanks

reflog74

Re: C Groove
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
Just my opinion -- no science involved.  I met C-Groove's designer, Harold Swash, at the PGA show -- he was nice enough to introduce me to the the Capt. of the R&A, who stopped by to say hello.  Nice!

Anyway, he had a nice slo-mo video rig where you could compare his putter roll to just about any other.  The ball DID start rolling sooner with the C-Groove, but I don't think it was due at all to the grooves -- the putters have something like 2 degrees of loft!  I think Scotty has said that the ball is not in contact with face long enough for the grooves to have any "bite" effect on the ball.  They will grate cheese nicely, however!   :P

Quite a few of the putting gurus seem to think this is not enough.  Apparently, the ball always comes to rest in a slight depression on the green, and requires more loft to pick it up out of the hole.  Less loft and you actually drill the ball into the side of the depression, negatively affecting the roll.  Of course, on an astroturf demonstration surface, you'll never see that.

Once again, just some things I observed and have heard.  Mr. Swash is more than welcome to come on in and explain his design.

Hope this helps.
John

sjjjbugs

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
I had some really good luck with a Yes Sophia on some very fast greens, but on more normal rolled greens I definately saw more bouncing than with my other putters (4 degrees), so I believe the loft issue.  Just my .02

Steve

localfitch

• Plastic Thomas Riker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
I spoke to a few gentlemen at the Yes! booth as well and I think you got a lot more information out of them than I did, John.

Hopefully we'll have a sample putter to review in the coming months as they gear up for their spring launch.

simarRC

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
i like the look, and the fact that you can get centershafted models in a blade style aka. carolyne.  But i cant say i am a fan of the feel, mind you the callie-f is super soft. but the rest of the line up is not.

reflog74

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:05:49 AM »
I spoke to a few gentlemen at the Yes! booth as well and I think you got a lot more information out of them than I did, John.

Hopefully we'll have a sample putter to review in the coming months as they gear up for their spring launch.

That was at last year's show, Scott.  I heard that Mr. Swash, who is considered a putting guru in Europe, was not over for the show this year.

John

paconstantine

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
From a conversation I had with Harold Swash.  The C Grooves were designed to put a little top spin on the ball, thus reducing skiding.  The idea came from his father who was a snooker player and when challenged by his son to hit a few putts would hit the top half of the ball (creating top spin) and holed all the putts.

Whether the technology works I can't say......never hit a Yes putter.

titaniummd

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »
I don't really know if the grooves do anything.  However, I love how I putt with my new Yes! Marilyn Putter.  It actually feels better than my Guerin Rife 2 Bar Putters.

ak108

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »
All putters with lower loft rolls slightly smoother. Dont know whats the hype about Yes putters, i think Yes putter is the worst feeling putter if you missed the sweet spot.
Most Faithful Gamer: Lajosi H3R Albz insert

junuh

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
I am a new guy,
What I am reading for the most part is that you guys haven't tried this product and broke it down and compare to other putters.  It might be interesting to see a true apple to apple comparison. The same loft, lie head design etc.. and see with a video cam what the results may bring!  Just a thought! :laugh:

newport_1

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 08:06:37 PM »
i dont get it, how would the c groove help with the roll of the ball, i read the 2007 brochure that i picked up at my clubs pro shop but just dont get it, the only thing i like about the yes! putters is the weight of them

thadeuce

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »
"Anyway, he had a nice slo-mo video rig where you could compare his putter roll to just about any other.  The ball DID start rolling sooner with the C-Groove, but I don't think it was due at all to the grooves -- the putters have something like 2 degrees of loft!  I think Scotty has said that the ball is not in contact with face long enough for the grooves to have any "bite" effect on the ball.  They will grate cheese nicely, however!"

First let me start by saying that I'm not a fan of Yes! putters. I have played with 4 of them (Callie, Callie-f, Sophia, and Olivia) and was not really impressed. However, if by Scotty you mean Scotty Cameron, why would he say that it DOES have an effect? That would be like him saying "This guy thought of something I didn't." If you hit the ball on the way up, why wouldn't the grooves impart spin? It's the same as when you hit a wedge, to a lesser degree no doubt, but still the same. Saying that the ball doesn't stay on the face long enough for the grooves to impact the spin is crazy.

Jack from Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »
What you ask is a very good question. I bought my tiffany because of the optics and then how the ball seemed to roll out better than other putters I have tried. I feel that there is an advantage for the c groove design but there is also downside. In that every so often that when you do not make perfect contact the ball has a tendancy to go squirrely.

This has been explained to me that this may occur when contact is made with the rounded part of the grooves and  a putt that can be best described as a shank may occur. I have used this putter for over 2 years and this has happened to me only a couple of times.

This does beg a bigger question - what effect to the putt do minor mishits have which are less than the full fledged shank and you can't really disern them from other than a slight misalignment or read problem being respondsible when maybe the problem was something else entirely.

Like I said earlier, the optics of the tiffany work really well for me and the roll, when struck properly is better than most standard oem putters I have experienced.

I hope this in some way contributes to the post.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:18:37 PM by Jack from Canada »

mikeygolf

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
Much like Jack, I'm not sure how much the grooves help as far as the initial skipping of the ball compared to other putters, but I do know that my putts seem to roll out much better than other putters. Putts with other putters that I thought were short, ended up short. Putts with the Callie that I thought were short surprised me and ran out a little more to the hole or past. It is a heavier putter than I am used to, but whether it is the groves, the weight or a combo off both, this putter rolls the ball out much nicer than other putters for me. As for the rumor that the grooves knock balls off line when hit off center, I deliberately strike the ball nearer the heel of the putter by a good half inch and the ball holds its line beautifully.

Jack from Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »

I agree with you Mickey - the ball seems to roll and finish better that any other putter I have ever used. My tiffanies head weight is supposed to be in the range of 340 which imo is on the higher side for a off the shelf putter. Also the loft is 2.5 * which is much lower than most standard lofts like Big Oak or Camerons which are 4*. I know that for my tiffany the rear flange (for lack of a better word) is attached to the top and bottom of the putterface back. Maybe this has some effect on the roll because of a heavier top weight - I don't know.

I am waiting to see how the ball rolls off the putters I purchased this off season which are in Lamonts shop for a performance check.

I don't mind the feel of the tiffany but some of the other models feel much different.

It is a real mind game sometimes and sometimes the only thing you can do is buy one and use it to form your own opinion.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:39:27 PM by Jack from Canada »

mrfitz

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
I picked up a sophia, cut it down to 32 inches. I like the 8802 style, but couldn't find one as heavy as I like. The sophia is just what I was looking for....but, I think the whole c-groove thing is just voodoo. The putter cost me $50, so I'm happy with it. Good weight and balance.