Author Topic: Oversized Hand Mades  (Read 6133 times)

rollyourball

Oversized Hand Mades
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
A couple of years ago I made some of the most complex and interesting prototypes I've ever done. Needless to say I have always had an interst in oversized putters. The fact that they didn't permently redefine the size of putter heads, as oversized woods did, has baffled me for years. Some of my personal best putting was done with a big putter and of course Jack used one for over ten years. So I have continued to look at the concept and what might have been missing since the physics is definitely there.
The prototype here is a nickel plated hollow carbon steel body with an epoxy filled interior that fixes a floating aluminum insert in the face. The insert is centered with an O-ring seal, clamped flush against the milled face, then filled with epoxy through the open rear flange. The flange is then capped with a machined plastic plug which is also embedded in the epoxy. The insert doesn't touch the putter body.
You can use almost any insert material, even one that is plated, since no additional machining is required. The weight can be adjusted at assembly by dropping weights into the wet epoxy before capping. Solid contact and high inertia are a given.

How difficult is it to machine? Well, let's just say it is a 10 out of 10. The sole was engraved since a hand stamp just wasn't going to work on this configuration.

I don't know if this solves the oversize issue but it certainly made some interesting putters I think.

Clay

drewspin

Re: Oversized Hand Mades
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Clay -

If you have done any MOI testing of the oversized versus standard sized putters, I'd be curious to hear the results.

rollyourball

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Clay -

If you have done any MOI testing of the oversized versus standard sized putters, I'd be curious to hear the results.

Here are some MOI measurements of different types of heads to compare:
1.  Standard 340 gram Anser style putter -                                  4008 gm cm2
2.  One of my Hollow 35- gm Oversized Prototypes -                   6480 gm cm2
3.  A 20th annv. aluminum Oversized Response 351 gm Putter - 7634 gm cm2 

That gives you some idea of how much more forgiving an oversized putter can be. Every time you catch it on the toe or heel a little and it hangs on the lip, you would have made it with a big putter!

Clay

sandbagger

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »
Size does matter  ;)! Clay, Why do YOU think this 'size' has not caught on?

rollyourball

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:09 AM »
That is a very good question and I have given it about 20 years of thought, HA! On the surface you would say there must be something wrong fundamentally since the industry hasn't gravitated that way very much. But if you look at Jack and see that the greatest player ever (to date) used one for over ten years, then you have to say well maybe not. If you knew him like I do, you would know for sure there was nothing wrong with the concept or product. There is no way he would use something he didn't think was right for him. Look at the J's driver era for instance. He owned Macgregor at the time and used the J's driver, crushing our driver sales because he thought it was better at the time. So no way he uses an oversized putter to sell putters.

I think the main reason we don't see more use of oversized putters is that no company has gone to the tour and promoted it. Put it in the hands of the tour, customized it for them individually in a multi model and style line, just like we do with any tour putter line. If someone did that, I think we would see putters grow just like we saw woods grow in size.

I remember when Callaway introduced the Biggest Big Bertha in about 1998. It was 300cc and it didn't sell because it looked too big at that time. Now look what we are playing with. So I think it could be the same sort of thing with putters now.

Let's say Taylor Made comes out with a 7 model oversize line, pays the staff to switch, and 6 guys win 15 tournaments. (Or what ever the numbers need to be to be similar to the Spider.) I could see ALL putters start to scale up then. Just like drivers did in 2001.

Think about how long it took the three ball concept to reemerge as maybe the most succesful putter of all time. So don't write off oversize just yet.

Clay

Kent61

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:43 PM »
There's the ribbing to consider too Clay...one of my friends played a Doc 17 when they first came out, and to be honest he putted really well with it, probably the best I'd ever seen him, BUT...we took the pi$$ out of it constantly and more importantly out of HIM! (it had to be done ;) lol mean buggers aren't we!)
I won't say I'll never use one but it'd have to look better than that branding iron. :o
Kent

rollyourball

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
I agree. Making an oversized putter look just right behind the ball is the real issue. There is alot going on there when you look down upon the head, the ball, and the intended line. But I tell you, if you set an old original Taylor Made Burner down beside a new one, you can hardly believe you used to play with that. Maybe one day big putters will be the same. It will take a company with vision and balls I think to restart the transition.

Kent61

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
Hmmmm agreed there! I've just checked out a 975D in my golf room...it's like a modern three wood lol I remember looking down on it and thinking how massive it was and how could I miss the ball (or a fairway for that matter) with something that big.
I stuck with that driver for far too long :-\ before changing to an SS370...and only changing that to a Launcher 400 when we couldn't play team matches with the Hi COR drivers.
I can't see me making the same mistake (holding on too long before changing) with a putter...though the ones I'm gravitating towards are the mini's? The reason I've been telling myself this is a good idea, the smaller size concentrates my mind, aim etc. now I'm second guessing myself  :-\ :-\ :-\
The putter you have here looks very conventional until its shown next to a 'normal' putter...the MOI's are proof it works, but could I take the 'Branding Iron' jibes ::) lol
Kent

rollyourball

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
You may take some ribbing, but after you take some $ the ribbing stops. I won 6 club championships and a quarter final match from Jay Segal in the US Mid AM with a big putter and I don't remember any jokes about my putter then, HA !

Clay

Kent61

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 05:42:03 AM »
So Clay, the question is...do you still use the oversize?
Or are you so spoilt for choice you don't have a regular gamer 8)
Kent

rollyourball

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:57 PM »
I knew that question would come. No I don't, I use one of the putters I now make or a prototype I am working on. Right now an aluminum mallet in development. I have used the oversized prototype shown above though.

Maybe this year I will add an oversized model to the line and see how it does. I did sell some of those big prototypes. If I do that , I'll use it!

Clay

Kent61

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
Clay,
Pictures needed of the aluminium mallet please  8) :popcorn:
Kent