Author Topic: Stainless Handmades 2009  (Read 9453 times)

rollyourball

Stainless Handmades 2009
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »
I read a thread the other day about stainless hand mades so I thought I would share some of my process photos for the 2009 hand made run. We made approximately 25 of two different head models. All made on a manual mill and pantograph, and all hand stamped. One model was a curve top style the other an Anser type back. We even manually traced the trailing heel and toe weight shapes off an old original Anser to capture those rounded shapes.
True handmades are a huge amount of work. The stamping alone is enough to make you crazy. After all that machining each stamp has to be hit about 6 times to get it in. One slip and it reads like Porky Pig made it!

This sequence is the curve top. We did a varity of neck styles as well. The last photo shows some of the finished A model styles as well.

Enjoy

rollyourball

Re: Stainless Handmades 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
Here are a few more finished putter shots both curve top abd A model style.

docbernie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
There are some real beautiful putters there.  Very Nice Job.

Doc

rollyourball

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the good words.

Here are a few more photos of the A model group in work as well as the varity of necks we put on them. We've done a standard plummer type, a long barrel plummer, a long barrel slant, and an over fit neck. The machining almost looks like CNC but it isn't, it's all manual.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:42:02 PM by rollyourball »

reflog74

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
Clay,

Your putters look great.  You obviously have some firm beliefs about sight lines.  I'm a "bare naked" guy myself (when it comes to putters).  Anything for guys like me?  Would love to hear your ideas on this.

John

rrkman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the 'in process' pictures....amazing stuff.  Do you have any pics of these with the slant neck....I'm intrigued to say the least.

Thanks,

Randy

rollyourball

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
Clay,

Your putters look great.  You obviously have some firm beliefs about sight lines.  I'm a "bare naked" guy myself (when it comes to putters).  Anything for guys like me?  Would love to hear your ideas on this.

John

I may have made one or two clean, I'll have to look. I find that most people like a sight line of some sort, so out of 25 I may leave one or two clean. The rest get a varity of different lines. Personally, I like anything that looks good to my eye, I'm not set on one style. Jack likes two lines in the top line like the old Bristol Wizard 600 if left to his on taste, but he too has putted with a number of sight lines. The Response had a perpindicular cross in the flange, the Response LT had two parallel lines on the flange and one line on the top line. His current putter has two on the top line once again. I see it as just a personal taste thing, no real right or wrong in my view.
 Now I will say that my production putter sight line has gotten some very good reviews,( the raised center sight with outboard lines.) Its a real pain to make but brings another dimension to the sighting system in that it will cast a shadow for you to see. It is of course something that distinguishes my production putters as well.

Clay

rollyourball

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »
Thanks for the 'in process' pictures....amazing stuff.  Do you have any pics of these with the slant neck....I'm intrigued to say the least.

Thanks,

Randy

I haven't made any hand mades with a slant neck so far this year, or the 2009 run I should say, although I do have a few that are not necked and finished yet.  I have a couple of 303 SS A and B models from a numbered 25 piece run with my slant neck, as well as a few prototype 303 SS heads with some interesting sighting systems. I'll post a shot or two for you to see.

The A and B 303 ss models shown below are now A205.5 and B205.5 and were numbered to 25 but otherwise the same as pictured.

2caddies1cup

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »
Beautiful work Clay, what are the price points for your SS Handmades?

jman32

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 11:05:18 AM »
If you have any anser long plumbers neck with a sight dot, I would be interested in getting one.  Let me know.  Great job!

rrkman

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
Thanks for the slant neck pics.  I'm curious as to price point as well with the handmades.

Thanks again.

Randy

rollyourball

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »
Beautiful work Clay, what are the price points for your SS Handmades?

Hand Made Stainless are priced at $450 right now.

rollyourball

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »
If you have any anser long plumbers neck with a sight dot, I would be interested in getting one.  Let me know.  Great job!

Are you talking about a Long Barrel plummer or a plummer neck long enough to make it face balanced? I didn't make any face balanced but I have a few left unnecked I could do that to if you are serious about one.

Clay

Kent61

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
Clay,
Very nice work there...I missed out on one of your carbons on ebay last year and I'm still regretting it  :(
Thanks for the pictures, do you have any of you actually working them in the mill please? I'd love to see them if you have :popcorn:
Kent

rollyourball

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
Kent,

Attached are some shots of the 09 stainless HM's on the mill and Deckle. You will notice the cavities are roughed out on the mill and then fine tuned on a manual Deckle pantograph. There is shot of the tapered top line cut as well. Doing that on a curved top line and getting the top line to look square is a trick.
The last shot is one cutting the parallel lines on the back pads of some of the curve tops. I call those the 8813 lines. Its a painful setup too, but I think those lines are pretty cool. Reminds me of my old 8813 I still have from high school.

How's that?

Kent61

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »
Clay,
VERY SWEET  8) Thank you  ;D
It's nice hearing you talk about Jack (and knowing that you ACTUALLY do know him) I'm sure you have some very unique experiences there.
Always good seeing a putter coming to life.
Could I ask how you came up with your raised sightline idea please? If you've already covered it and I've missed it please just point me in the right direction and I'll search there.
Many thanks
Kent

rollyourball

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
Clay,
It's nice hearing you talk about Jack (and knowing that you ACTUALLY do know him) I'm sure you have some very unique experiences there.
Could I ask how you came up with your raised sightline idea please? If you've already covered it and I've missed it please just point me in the right direction and I'll search there.
Many thanks
Kent

Good question. It's not a particularly glamerous answer though. The very first hand made putters I made were prototypes for a milled series at Macgregor Japan in 1990. They were promoting me to some degree on the heels of the Response Masters win. (We actually did a forged iron set with my name on it as well at that time.)

So I made some samples (6 total) in the machine shop at Macgregor and sent them two, one of each model. I kept the other 4. I choose a single sweep, double pocket back design, and mounted the neck in a through hole in the top line with a plug weld in the sole. (Picture attached) They didn't use the samples and made 2 of their own ugly models and put my name on them.

Three or four years later I did an oversized cast titanium putter series for ProGroup called Ti-Roll and it had a cavity with only the bottom positive left from the dual cavitys of the original Japan hand mades.

When I was designing my current milled putters in 2001 I was looking for a subtle sight line system that was a little different but was clean and brought something to the party. Something that would distinguish my putters from others but would be functional, clean, and would not ruin a classicly styled putter. So I tried the positive center on the computer and thought it looked good but wasn't sure it could be machined. It takes a very long, small diameter end mill to make it. Chatter is a real issue and if it doesn't cut smoothly its no good. Anyway, turns out it is hard and expensive to mill, but was exactly what I was looking for. After testing I realized that is casts a shadow into the cavity no matter where the sun is over your shoulder and makes it even easier to see. So that is the evolution of the raised sight in the cavity.

Interestingly enough, I have had no negative feed back on it, so I have been very pleased with it.

rollyourball

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
Clay,
Many thanks
Kent

Good question. It's not a particularly glamerous answer though. The very first hand made putters I made were prototypes for a milled series at Macgregor Japan in 1990. They were promoting me to some degree on the heels of the Response Masters win. (We actually did a forged iron set with my name on it as well at that time.)

So I made some samples (6 total) in the machine shop at Macgregor and sent them two, one of each model. I kept the other 4. I choose a single sweep, double pocket back design, and mounted the neck in a through hole in the top line with a plug weld in the sole. (Picture attached) They didn't use the samples and made 2 of their own ugly models and put my name on them.

Three or four years later I did an oversized cast titanium putter series for ProGroup called Ti-Roll and it had a cavity with only the bottom positive left from the dual cavitys of the original Japan hand mades.

When I was designing my current milled putters in 2001 I was looking for a subtle sight line system that was a little different but was clean and brought something to the party. Something that would distinguish my putters from others but would be functional, clean, and would not ruin a classicly styled putter. So I tried the positive center on the computer and thought it looked good but wasn't sure it could be machined. It takes a very long, small diameter end mill to make it. Chatter is a real issue and if it doesn't cut smoothly its no good. Anyway, turns out it is hard and expensive to mill, but was exactly what I was looking for. After testing I realized that is casts a shadow into the cavity no matter where the sun is over your shoulder and makes it even easier to see. So that is the evolution of the raised sight in the cavity.

Interestingly enough, I have had no negative feed back on it, so I have been very pleased with it.

Kent61

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
OUCH!!!! Using your name on something you had no input on! Did you have no copyright on that or was it a "your name is ours while you work for McGregor" deal? Tell me to FRO if this is something you'd rather not go into ;)
The '90 HandMade...how did that play with the siteline, middle of the double pocket being right on the sweetspot/hitzone? Did a 'miss' make a big difference to distance/feel?
I can see chatter could be an issue there, but to my eye the later sitelines look cleaner and worth the risk of losing an end mill or two (possibly a head...depending where the tool flew :o)
Running the neck through the head then welding up at the sole makes the neck/head topline look very clean.
Nice work, do you have any pics of the face and sole please?
Thanks
Kent 

rollyourball

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:32 PM »
OUCH!!!! Using your name on something you had no input on! Did you have no copyright on that or was it a "your name is ours while you work for McGregor" deal? Tell me to FRO if this is something you'd rather not go into ;)
The '90 HandMade...how did that play with the siteline, middle of the double pocket being right on the sweetspot/hitzone? Did a 'miss' make a big difference to distance/feel?
I can see chatter could be an issue there, but to my eye the later sitelines look cleaner and worth the risk of losing an end mill or two (possibly a head...depending where the tool flew :o)
Running the neck through the head then welding up at the sole makes the neck/head topline look very clean.
Nice work, do you have any pics of the face and sole please?
Thanks
Kent

Kent,

Here is a shot of the face, the sole is blank.

As far as the Japan thing and using my name, I think they learned a lesson as well as did I. But I don't think there was any malice intended on their part at the time. I did an entire set of forged blades for them about that time that had my name, and I had total control over it.

I would never let someone use my name with no approval now, but I'm older and smarter than I was then, and a better putter maker too I think. In 20 years I should have learned something I guess.

CL

rollyourball

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
Someone asked about the stainless hand made head cover so here is a photo. I use the my "Prototype" cover for those.

CL

rollyourball

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:05 AM »
I just finished updating my website to show photos of the different iterations of SS handmades for 2009. Click on a photo of a handmade on the home page or go the "Special Editions" button under "Putter Models". www.rollyourball.com