Author Topic: My Miracle Ebay Purchase  (Read 8650 times)

scottydoesnt

My Miracle Ebay Purchase
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
Let me tell the whole story that has unfolded over the last 2 days . . .

Yesterday while searching on ebay for "Ping Anser" under newly listed items shows up an auction titled "Ping Anser Putter Golf Club".  I could tell from the picture it was a dalehead, but when I opened it, I noticed it was an original Scottsdale.  The description within the ad stated "Ping Anser Putter 33 inches".  The auction was starting at .99 which was exciting, but I wanted to see if he would end the auction early with a Buy it Now since it seemed he didn't know he possessed.

He replied today around 10am that he decided to sell all 3 of his Ping Anser putters and there will be a Buy it Now option.  On my lunch break I checked to see if he listed it, and sure enough he did.  The Buy it Now was $139 !!  I didn't even blink until I checked out through paypal.  I tried to check the listing on my phone, but the pictures aren't very high quality so I had to wait until now to see what the other 2 putters were.

It appears I may have just won 2 original Scottsdale Ansers for $139.  Let me know what you all think, since I am having a hard time trying to figure out if there are 2 Scottsdale Ansers, or just 1 Scottsdale and 1 Phoenix Dalehead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200859029918&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass.

Driver: Callaway Hyper X Tour 9.5*
3-Wood: Callaway Hyper X Tour 15*
3H: Adams Idea Pro Black 20*
4-PW: Callaway X-22 Tour w/ TT Black Gold Shafts
52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged
TM Monza Spider CS 33" w/ Winn Triple-Lite Jumbo

scottydoesnt

Re: My Miracle Ebay Purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
Trying to take a closer look, . . . the flat sole on the right may even be a "by Karsten" model.  I do like how one is a flat sole, and one is a rocker sole.  Christmas has come early that is for sure . . .

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

scottydoesnt

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
I really need Lumpy on this one, and I'll for sure being posting better pics once I get them in a few days. 

I have been looking at the non - dalehead putter, and I don't think I've ever seen one with those stampings.  "Phoenix" and the address seem to be in really small font, but it looks like there is a trademark next to the "Ping". 

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

lumpy

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Looks like a 70's Anser along with an original Scottsdale rocker sole and an original "Scottsdale by Karsten" big lettering.  All of the "By Karsten" big letter putters that I have seen have the tapered hosel where the shaft enters.

Not everyone who sells on eBay knows what they have.  Unfortunately for this seller, they did not do their homework.

Lump

scottydoesnt

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
Thanks Lumpy.  I appreciate your input as always.  I have contacted the seller to try and find out more info about how they were obtained, or how long they were in their possession, etc.

Here are bigger pics from the seller so people don't have to click through ebay . . .

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:42:36 PM by scottydoesnt »

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

lumpy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
I can only comment on the putters in your deal.

Lump

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
Definitely one gem in there for the price.  Even if the other two are not "special" Ansers, the Scottsdale is definitely a keeper.  Let us know if it has the shaftband and Informer grip still on it.  If not, take it out and figure out why the PGA Pros loved it for so long before milled putters arrived. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

MoaningM

• Old Tom Morris...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:51:32 AM »
Yes some find there, very nice. I would have to say that the one is a by karsten from the looks there, the lettering looks to small for the normal font used.

do you know if they have the original grips?

scottydoesnt

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Well possibly shame on me for posting this before I actually possessed the putters.  I am unsure of the status at the moment, but apparently the sellers car got broken into and he no longer has them . . .

I am contacting ebay, but am unsure what I can do at this point.  Obviously someone made him a better offer outside of ebay. 

I am furious right now.

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

JTeke

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
As soon as you posted this, I said to myself - "I sure hope he's holding them"...no way someone "broke into his car"...I'm bummed and ticked for you man! 
One Putt...at a time

scottydoesnt

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
As soon as you posted this, I said to myself - "I sure hope he's holding them"...no way someone "broke into his car"...I'm bummed and ticked for you man!
I suppose it was a lesson learned.  One that is going to take some time to get over for sure.  I really hope it wasn't someone from this site though.  That would really be upsetting.

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

JTeke

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
Knowing the people who are the "solid" members - no way - but there's always a chance that a newly joined member saw it...but I hate to speculate on that ... hopefully the clubs are rediscovered and you get them :/  any more correspondence with the seller? 
One Putt...at a time

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
Knowing the people who are the "solid" members - no way - but there's always a chance that a newly joined member saw it...but I hate to speculate on that ... hopefully the clubs are rediscovered and you get them :/  any more correspondence with the seller? 

Doubful someone here poached it, but you never know.  Definite lesson not to post until the club is delivered and in hand.  It reminds me of the people that ask if XXX rare club on eBay is a good deal.  You're just asking to be outbid or sniped. 
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
+1

I will often pop up and mention something that is on the bay if it might be of some interest here, but if I am bidding on it I wait until I have won the item before asking for any opinion/input on it.

I am very bummed for you. Ebay needs to do whatever it can to make this right... just have no idea what they can do.

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

scottydoesnt

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »
I wish I had news, whether good or bad, but I have had no responses in the last 3 days from the seller.  I still have yet to receive my refund as well, so things are just completely up in the air right now.  I will continue to post anything new I find out, but I am honestly still sick to my stomach on this whole thing. 

52* Callaway X-Forged
58* Nike VR Forged

The man with no aim.

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
So let me get this right in order that I understand fully the situation.

You're pissed that an under informed seller became well informed to the true value of what he had agreed to sell to you at a steal of a price but, has now backed out of the agreement with an allegedly false reason.

Sorry sounds like 6 of one and half dozen of the other to me, upsetting it may be but, what if you'd been on the other side of this deal and only found the true value of the putters having already posted them, would you be saying you'd been robbed ?

Just my two pennies worth though.

Regards
T
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
I think a good part of the problem now is that he already had paid for them, and hasn't gotten refunded his money from the other party.

I'm not sure that you have any recourse on the excuse, legit or not, but the money should return to you with bells on...

Jimbo  8)
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Tyger

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
So let me get this right in order that I understand fully the situation.

You're pissed that an under informed seller became well informed to the true value of what he had agreed to sell to you at a steal of a price but, has now backed out of the agreement with an allegedly false reason.

Sorry sounds like 6 of one and half dozen of the other to me, upsetting it may be but, what if you'd been on the other side of this deal and only found the true value of the putters having already posted them, would you be saying you'd been robbed ?

Just my two pennies worth though.

Regards
T

Maybe the seller should've done  some research before he posted his items for sale. If he had shipped the items already, do you think he could file a complaint with ebay saying he sold his stuff for too low a price and wants to get his items back. Maybe he can leave negative feedback on the op for buying it at such low a price.

OP - you should've waited until you had items in hand before making the post about the great deal you got.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:06:48 PM by Tyger »

The man with no aim.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Jimbo, paypal always refunds the buyer, it has too otherwise confidence is undermined and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.  In addition, its not beyond reasonable doubt that this seller so ill informed does not know how to process a paypal refund, I like reasonable doubt, it gives me belief that this world is a better place than it sometimes proves to be.

Tyger, I think neither buyer nor seller is blameless in this matter, one for his ignorance and the other for his arrogance neither of which I have the time nor temperament to differentiate between.

OP raise a paypal dispute, the funds will be back with you in about 14 days

There you go, T getting off his high horse for the night.
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

jr

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
There are a lot of people who are "members" of PT who never post but who read the site all the time. There are thousands and thousands of registered users of the site so it is very possible that any one of them could have seen the post and taken action to get the seller to sell them the putters at a better price for the seller.

Pure745

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
Yikes!!! I would have kept this under wraps till putters were in hand.

sean2221

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 07:24:45 PM »
Sorry to hear Scotty.  Hopefully you will get your $$ back or better yet the putters.  Let us know how it works out.

Best wishes!
Sean

Abstract

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »
Wow.  This story goes from good then heads south! 

Unfortunately, all you would receive is your money back.  All you can do is learn from what's transpired for any future purchases.   

Abstract

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:33 AM »
Sorry for the stupid question (as I am more of a Mills/Cameron collector) but what are the putters worth individually? 

Again, never collectee Ping. 

Craneboy

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »