Author Topic: Indoor Practice Setup  (Read 589 times)

JunkerJorge

Indoor Practice Setup
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
Well, it's currently 13 degrees, feels like -1 outside (that's -8 and -18 for you Celcius folks), and I'm wondering what everyone has for their indoor practice setup.

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
Re: Indoor Practice Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:19:02 PM »
old carpet rolling..... but weather is fine here! ;D
Xenon X, Element, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
Well, I am a minister and live right next to the building so, there is a really nice stretch of Berber carpeting right down the center of the aisle, about 45 feet long and perfect for practicing alignment, distance control, and such...

I can also bring out the foam balls and have a high enough ceiling to take some swings indoors with my irons without doing any real damage to anything. I have a practice carpet to keep from damaging the flooring, but I limit the iron practice because that setup tends to keep me from doing anything more than pick the ball cleanly. There is no true 'through the ball' like you need to take a divot after contact, so I only swing them indoors for grins...

Jimbo 
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

cnosil

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
When it is too cold to play or get outside I practice my putting by rolling the ball over a dime or down a yardstick. 

JunkerJorge

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:42:22 PM »
Well, I am a minister and live right next to the building so, there is a really nice stretch of Berber carpeting right down the center of the aisle, about 45 feet long and perfect for practicing alignment, distance control, and such...

I can also bring out the foam balls and have a high enough ceiling to take some swings indoors with my irons without doing any real damage to anything. I have a practice carpet to keep from damaging the flooring, but I limit the iron practice because that setup tends to keep me from doing anything more than pick the ball cleanly. There is no true 'through the ball' like you need to take a divot after contact, so I only swing them indoors for grins...

Jimbo

Wow. Short game practice with a Church pew bunker.

My carpet isn’t ideal for putting. I just wondered if anyone had a particular mat or aid they use. Last year used a felt type putting mat with return like you see at a sporting goods store. Didn’t feel like it really translated to green grass.

cnosil

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
I don’t think mats really help indoors other than providing a good surface to roll the ball.   Generally my indoor goal is to work on setup and start line   Neither of those require a lot of space. 

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »
When it is too cold to play or get outside I practice my putting by rolling the ball over a dime or down a yardstick.

Along these lines, I will practice contact drills... roll a ball out to be a target and then work from various distances to put to that ball to make contact or hit it.

Jimbo
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

Gava

• Adam Scott - First Aussie To Win The US Masters
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 06:49:31 AM »
Funny but I live in Perth where you can pretty much play year round.  My putting has been the best it has ever been in recent months by putting on a Callaway ~9 foot putting mat on the floorboards adjacent to the bar downstairs.

Discussed this topic with my brother in law who has had similar improvement with just a few minutes every day or two to hone the skills.

First time I had an attempt I was miles off the cup, often.  Just a few short sessions and results are much improved and consistent - and transcend on the course too!
I'm a member at The Vines in Western Australia.  Look me up if you are visiting.