Author Topic: Head shape, visual perception, and stroke path  (Read 222 times)

JunkerJorge

Head shape, visual perception, and stroke path
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »
What are your thoughts on the head shape and visual perception and how that influences the stroke? I’m not talking about toe hang or rotation or what have you, but just in terms of visual perception. Would a square shape like say an anser 2 style, or a square mallet create a tendency to want to keep the face square to target line? I know there are plenty of players with strong arc that have used an anser 2 but I wondered if there is a tendency for particular shapes to fit certain stroke profiles better.

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
Re: Head shape, visual perception, and stroke path
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
OK I have a Mannkrafted Supersport custom that is sort of squared off semi-mallet to compare(like a Kutcher betti in a way, but much sweeter ;))
I also have dale heads and anser 2 types, but for me the main thing to square the face is consistency at address and not having a flange line to screw me up.
I have to line up with my eye over the ball and concentrate on bring the stick back to address with an equator strike.
The head shape has become less and less of a factor as long as I get a more muted look at address so I can concentrate on the strike.
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »
In the case of the softie I would let the pocket frame the ball more passively at address.... ;)
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

Jimbobuc21

• If my GIR was higher, my scores would be lower.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
One of the putters that stays in my bag for long periods is the Xenon X*, and much like what was stated earlier, it is something I feel good about alignment.

I use a small sight dot merely because I like how it gives me a 'center' to square up to.

A bit of caution however, the true center to each putter is not necessarily the center of the top line from address... in some cases it is back slightly toward the heel.

I am not a mallet fan, but putt with what works for you is my mantra...

Jimbo 
.: Jimbo :.

Tour Exotics EX9 driver and 3 wood
Tour Exotics EXi irons
Tour Exotics 56*/60* Xtreme Spin Black wedges
Tad Moore Pro1, Slighter Portland, Byron Morgan C/S Spud in AlBz, Byron Morgan cc Proto (they rotate)
Xenon Cu 10* currently in the bag

cnosil

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »
Isn't this the theory behind how Edel fits putters.  Belief is that the shape of the putter will influence your ability to setup square to the target line.

JunkerJorge

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
I am not talking about alignment at setup as much as the shape's influence on the stroke. I think I read somewhere that a sightline can cause a manipulation of the stroke to try to keep the line parallel to the target line as opposed to on the natural arc of the stroke plane. I was wondering if a more square shaped putter would have a similar effect.