Author Topic: Explaining Byron to others  (Read 770 times)

hailflutie

Explaining Byron to others
« on: October 13, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
So I know I could hardly be less new here but I'm curious to hear what experiences you guys have had explaining who or a what a Byron Morgan is? The reason I ask is that last week I was playing with an old acquaintance I hadn't seen in a long time, and at one point he asked me what kind of putter I was using. I recently received my first DH89 (brushed blue oil stainless with a welded carbon neck, it's amazing) a few weeks prior and was super pumped to be out there gaming it.
His actual quote was 'looks like a knock-off Scotty Cameron'. Now I'm the least confrontational guy there is but I wanted to tackle him and point out that Scottys tend to look like knock-off PINGs if that's how you wanna play this game. I did my best to explain what was really going on here but I'm not sure he quite grasped the concept.

Anyway, have any of you had similar experiences with the non-putter enthusiast crowd at the course?

DaveB00T

Re: Explaining Byron to others
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
I consider Byron to be a boutique putter maker. You can design and order a high end putter to your liking and specs for a reasonable price.

As for someone saying a knock off of X or Y.....just about all putters at this point are a variation of another putter, some close, some inspired by. As far as I am concerned, buy what you like and order as you see fit, irrelevant to what has come before.

To non-putter people and the cost of putters, you use a $250-$500 driver maybe 9 times a round, you use a putter 36 times a round, seems the price is fair and considering condition, a putter holds better resale value.

Dave
The course options:
Byron Morgan - Blacks Beach DH89
Byron Morgan - Designed by Captain Morgan #13/25
Byron Morgan - Bombora 8)
Byron Morgan - Damascus Stainless Steel DH89
Scotty Cameron - CS NP Beach, TeI3 NPII gen2, CLN

reflog74

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »
Just remind him that Lee Trevino used to call Cameron "Xerox".

John

titleistgolf_nirvana

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
I get asked this all the time....so many people ask me is that a 009 tour cameron? obviously at this point to any byron lover you know I have a dh89....I just say no it's better....it's a putter I got to design from basically the ground up with my specs, weight and so on....I tell them who the maker is, they always ask how much it cost...I give them a ball park and they think it's incredible that I basically have a putter that looks exactly like a 009 with my name on it for about 1/4 of the price of what a 009 would be...I am a putter hoe with tons of sweet putters, i've gamed tour camerons, I have machines, I have byrons....the only ones that ever seem to stay in the bag are the byron morgans
Byron Morgan DH89 Long Plumbers Neck
Machine M10 1st Run Italian Stainless
Machine M10 Carbon Damascus Etch
Machine M10 Proto Art 2 of 2 Mokume Insert

hailflutie

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »
I get asked this all the time....so many people ask me is that a 009 tour cameron? obviously at this point to any byron lover you know I have a dh89....I just say no it's better....it's a putter I got to design from basically the ground up with my specs, weight and so on....I tell them who the maker is, they always ask how much it cost...I give them a ball park and they think it's incredible that I basically have a putter that looks exactly like a 009 with my name on it for about 1/4 of the price of what a 009 would be...I am a putter hoe with tons of sweet putters, i've gamed tour camerons, I have machines, I have byrons....the only ones that ever seem to stay in the bag are the byron morgans

This is my attitude about it generally. It's just interesting to me how ingrained the importance of Scottys are to the golfing world. And I get it, I have two that I'll never sell (hopefully) and have gamed a few others over the years - they're nice sticks - it just kind of goes to show how important the horsepower that Titleist has injected has been (to say nothing of the voltage one person in particular has given the brand, obviously). The closest thing I can think of is probably watches? Most people seem to assume that Rolex is as good as it gets, when that's very clearly not the case despite the fact that they're still magnificent timepieces (in-house made self-winding movement and all that).

bogie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
With Byron I do not have to adapt to something already made. That seems backwards. Byron can and will do just about anything you want on a putter so the process is reversed.  You get exactly what you want because you designed it. I would not trade my DH89 for any 009 unless it was to sell it to some sucker.

I had a very early Cameron (nice but too light) and a 2014 Newport. I didn't like the Newport. The face milling was too deep. Cameron's success is proof that advertising works regardless of the product. The new inserts make them junk. I hate inserts.
“Success in this game depends less on strength of body than strength of mind and character.” – Arnold Palmer
Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Bettinardi BB1-SS-Proto
BB28 RAW Limited
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan X-Prototype

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
I tell people that "my putter maker" is a pretty cool surfer guy who knows a great small taco restaurant in Huntington Beach.  He also knows how to create an outstanding putter, to my specs, that performs great.
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
Scotty Cameron American Classic VII
Cleveland Corey Pavin
and a few others

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
It's a custom, and it is hard to compare custom work if you are a picky putter, that is it in a nutshell...;)
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

Golfluvzme

• Section Moderator
  • The little guy just working harder, ;-)
    • MannKrafted GolfWorks and Custom Milled Putters
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:24 PM »
You could tell your buddy that without Byron, there would not be a Scotty Cameron.  Then, let him figure out what you mean and see how long it takes.  Byron, John and Scotty used to really get along.  The copper face with elastomer ring.....the long neck Anser-style putter, and one or two other ideas came from the incredible mind of Byron, before anyone else decided to "put their own spin on them" and make large numbers for a very large OEM.
Byron Morgan is a designer, fabricator, machinist, putter maker and possibly the one of the most generous men in the putter world.  As a fellow putter maker, I don't believe he has an equal.
Just one Mann's opinion,
LaMont in AZ

RobotDoctor

• Coffee drinking hacker
    • NewHorizonAuto
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
LaMont is absolutely right.  I am also aware of the story of Byron and young Don.  In 2014 at a golf get together in Ohio I was sitting on the porch of one of the cabins talking with Byron about the DH89 I wanted him to make me.  He said to me, out of the blue and with a wry smile on his face, "Do you want Scotty's cell number?  How about his home number?"  I sat there kind of stunned thinking does Byron know I used to be a huge Scotty guy.  I asked Byron what was I supposed to do with his phone numbers?  Like he would answer my calls.  This shows the wry humor Byron has.  In a nutshell, Byron Morgan is one of the kindest people in the golf industry.  He really cares about his clientele.  He wants every putter to be perfect for the person ordering it.  I absolutely love all of my Byron Morgan putters and my gamer performs extremely well.  I get comments on it every time I play a round.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:32:02 AM by RobotDoctor »
Byron Morgan DaKine Pear Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plate
Byron Morgan DH89x GSS
Byron Morgan SS DaKine 8812
Byron Morgan Designed by Captain Morgan, CU SS
TP Mills Tour Huey
TP Mills Heritage
Scotty Cameron American Classic VII
Cleveland Corey Pavin
and a few others

towncryer

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
I had wanted a Cameron 009 in Stainless for a long time. I just think they're cool as all get out. Fixed weight, hand stamped, great shape, etc...

I stumbled upon Byron Morgan's work where a lot of people probably do (GolfWRX). I dug around, asked some questions, and figured out I could get exactly what I've always wanted in a Cameron 009, PLUS my own ideas for stamping and built to my specs from Byron for literally 18% of the cost of a 009 that I had no input on. So I did...and I have no regrets.

I know this is a bad reason to like something, but people needing Byron explained to them is part of what I like about playing one of his putters. When I roll my tour Cameron (which I do still love), people ask about it and roll their eyes. When I roll my DH89, I get a few questions and then they usually lose interest when I tell them it's not a Scotty. And that's fine with me. :)

excalibur

• Section Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
Pretty easy to say Byron Morgan was one of Scotty's teachers and helped teach him how to make putters.  He pursued some other ventures but is now back making some putters.  In fact, Byron was the one that designed the putter Jordan Spieth now uses although it has Scotty's name on it.

Jazz18

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 06:07:02 PM »
Love the stories here about Byron teaching/starting SC off. I have a mate that is crazy into SC everything and keeps telling me how great SC is and how great his stuff is and I keep telling him that he's just good commercially but doesn't have many, if any, original ideas of his own. So funny for me that possibly the most famous and desired of his models is basically a DH89. I have had a couple of SC putters and still own one but would much rather have a custom Byron than any SC putter out there and look forward to the day when I can own one. Some of the 612's and Bombora's I've seen are just, well, WOW!

T.J.

• Global Moderator
  • ANOTHER putter Dad? Mom's gonna kill you!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »
Here is one for your mate, Byron had a win with his DH-89 BEFORE SC released the 009.

Most of us see Byron as a friend and not a brand, it is common to get a call from Byron when you send in an order and he is unsure of what you want or has an idea.
LIFE IS NOT FAIR! STOP WHINNING!!      Tee it up, let's play GOLF!

hailflutie

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »
Here is one for your mate, Byron had a win with his DH-89 BEFORE SC released the 009.

Most of us see Byron as a friend and not a brand, it is common to get a call from Byron when you send in an order and he is unsure of what you want or has an idea.

That's a pretty entertaining factoid right there.

In general it's probably not fair of me (or anyone) to really be that surprised when someone who doesn't spend time on forums literally dedicated to the non-mainstream putter manufacturers has a hard time understanding the uniqueness and value and joy they provide. In my case it's probably even a little hypocritical since I hadn't even heard of Byron or Lajosi or most of the guys who aren't affiliated with someone that has a rack at Golf Galaxy until about a year and a half ago. That said now that I've had my eyes opened on the subject, it's just a different world.

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
Byron, Lumpy, LaMont, Kari, SRC, all treasures.
I wish someone had explained Cameron to me earlier...... ::)
Xenon X, Ingles .470, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, RJB7541

src

• Section Moderator
    • Scott Readman Concepts
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »
Byron is a gent and he is in a league all of his own. He gave me a huge amount of help and encouragement when I first started.

Safe to say he is one of the Gods of putter makers.

nvgolfdude

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
First and foremost, Byron is one of the great people in golf that you will ever meet, and I am lucky enough to call him my friend.  When people ask me about Byron, that is where I start.  Then you can let them know that Byron is among the elite putter makers on the planet at this time.  Byron's work is the equal of anyone's and better than most.  So few golfers are willing to invest $500 in a putter, but as my friend David Boot said earlier in the thread these same folks think nothing of spending $400-$500 on a driver that they will hit 10-14 times in a round versus a putter that they will use 30+ times a round.  I encourage them to imagine sitting in Byron's shop in HB discussing the details of their putter with him and then having it made into a reality, and then I ask them if they think that they could get the same personal service from SC without the benefit of PGA Tour card...

The opportunity to purchase a custom Byron made for you, to your specs (neck, weight, finish, sight markings, stamping, paint fill, loft, lie, etc...) is a rare experience that is shared by you and a relatively small number of golfers walking the fairways and greens of the world.  As a Byron owner you are in rare and special company.  If your golfing partners don't understand, it's their loss.

Enjoy your putter that was crafted by a great artisan just for you, and hey, he's a great guy too!  And in a money game, I'd want him on my side, definitely don't want to play against him.

nvgolfdude@live.com

The Genius of Bargolf:  1.  Great putters play to their tendencies and work with them  2.  It isn't the method, it is the application of the method. Memorize the sequence of motion with clubs that fit the method.