Author Topic: australia  (Read 8333 times)

seth pistol

australia
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:36:34 AM »
anyone from australia, more specifically Melbourne?  Going next week and trying to figure out some things to do there.  planned on doing a day trip to great ocean road 1 day but have 3 other days to fill.  any advice would be appreciated.

oldmannoodles

Re: australia
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:58:30 AM »
We've got some brilliant golf course down here. On the Great Ocean Road side of town try Barwon Heads, 13th Beach or Sanctuary Lakes.

On the other side of the bay to the Great Ocean Road (about an hour from town or you can jump across on the ferry) are The Dunes, Moonah Links, Cape Schank and a handful of others. All are pay to play (average around $US60) and beautiful links courses in great condition.

By the way, you won't get far on the Great Ocean Road in one day. Try to do an overnight trip if possible. The coastline is incredible down the surf coast.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:00:19 AM by oldmannoodles »

B-Man

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »
Take me home with you! I'm stuck in the snow!

Golf distractions, http://www.thesandbelt.com/welcome/index.mhtml

Also for this time of year:
 - Albert Park Lake / St Kilda (cool restaraunts/bars/eclectic shopping);
 - MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) tour: there might be a cricket game on.
 - Yarra Valley Wineries:

Check the local site for more events:
http://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Cheers,
Rich

PS: Spewing the footy season is over otherwise Princess Park (& gift shop) is a must see!  ;D

oldmannoodles

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »
Stay well clear of Princes Park - a bad crowd hangs around that area!

I'll second B-Man's recommendation of the Yarra valley wine region. It's about an hour east of the centre of town, has dozens of top quality wineries and is set in beautiful surrounds (another good idea for an overnight trip).

Check out St Kilda (beach cafe culture), Brunswick St in Fitzroy (young trendy precinct), the CBD and Chapel St for shopping,  the Zoo is great, catch the see through deck of the skyscraper Eureka Tower if you've the stomach. Plenty to do and see!

seth pistol

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
thanks for all the advice everyone! unfortunately i am not bringing my clubs so this will be a sight-seeing trip only.  i leave for Sydney & Melbourne in less than 1 week so I am super stoked!