Author Topic: Improve your putts by 56%?!?  (Read 500 times)

JunkerJorge

Improve your putts by 56%?!?
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
I don’t even know what this claim means.  :D

Have any of you guys seen the new putter shaft company headed up by Barney Adams? I saw a quote from an odyssey guy who said this was a “game changer.” They look like one of those UST frequency shafts with a much longer graphite portion. I’m skeptical but curious what all the hype is about. I wondered if anyone here was familiar or could shed some light on it. On of the graphs they show is how much the putter head oscillates AFTER impact with a standard shaft.
 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://rnprstaging.com/testbgt/

cnosil

Re: Improve your putts by 56%?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
I have seen a couple of stories on the shaft. Apparently designed because of how heavy putternheads have become and that traditional steel caused more oscillation.  Not sure if the benefits to someone playing a sub 350gr head.  With a $200 price tag I am not sure I would just experiment so it will be interesting how long Justin Rose sticks with the shaft since he changes putters pretty quickly.  Would be interesting to see how it works on off center hits since I believe the oscillation would have the greatest impact on those putts.

The logic sounds promising, but after working with Bruce I am wondering the the oscillation is the result of improperly fit putters or the lack of shaft technology.

Cols_Ears

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
I read the article on MyGolfSpy this morning about the same product. Have to say I'm a bit skeptical myself, although as Iplay my putters with a ~335g head weight I guess I'm not really in need of it. Plus I like the feel of a soft shaft which to me translates to a softer feel at impact.

Wondered if Bruce had any opinion on them with all his SAAM experience?

I'd like to try one to see how it feels though...
TM M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.1 Stiff
TM M1 3HL 17° Fuji Pro95 (Stiff)
Adams ProMini 18° Aerotech HLS880 F4
Ping S55 White Dot  4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 wedges 49/53/58 KBS Stiff
Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / MannMade MA66 FN

Stage1350

• Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Oscillation is feel.  If you want a muted feel, this will work on a head that feels hard.  Since we are talking about post-impact, it shouldn't affect the putting characteristics, unless it is ridiculously light or changes the balance point.

I'm very happy with YHSF.  I'll stick with it.  Maybe YESTF in a pinch...
Adams Damascus 8802
Bettinardi 110Cu BB2
Byron DB Captain Morgan Cu 1/4
Cameron 1996/500 Copper Napa
Giannini 1992 handmade 8802
Lajosi Damascus LP-808
Mills 8802 handmade
Scratch McCoy 8802 handmade
Tad Moore Hoffman 8802 Cu
Wilson DB Arnold Palmer
Xenon 8802 copper handmade #388
Yamada Razor Cu

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »

FWIW

I work with the concept that flex or bend profile influences stroke tempo. If you have a short backswing and an aggressive acceleration through the ball, then this shaft is playable. Especially if you have a heavy swingweight E5 or greater.

If you have a longer stroke with a gradual acceleration through the ball then you will experience a harsh feel on mishits. We have found players using a shaft that is too stiff for their tempo to start to get quicker in their stroke, especially in transition.

Here is what I think I know.

The oscillation happens post impact. Unless you transition so hard your bend the shaft.

Stage is exactly right as oscillation (if there is any) is absorbed in the hands. So the influence is on feel at impact.

We have used vibration frequency as a fitting tool for 10 years. We know how to spec match to tempo.

We know graphite masks feel.

We know how flex profile can influence feel.

We know oscillation is not torque. Take your putter and with one hand on the grip and one hand on the putter head try to torque a putter shaft. That is hundreds of times greater than the influence of the weight of a golf ball on the toe of a putter at 5mph. So the idea of improving accuracy of the toe and heel strikes is subjective and theoretical at best. I think what you see in the marketing examples is a player with a soft grip who allows the putter to twist on bad strikes. So is the torque in your hands or the shaft?

Here is an example of an Iron Archie robot. In the lower left and corner your can see the vibration of the shaft POST impact. This is what you feel. However I eliminate that I am not sure there is any benefit on results. This is a long winded way of me saying FEEL IS NOT RESULTS. When your design theories are marketing based you can mask the feel and convince players they putt better because you can't feel the mishit. If the mishit is masked I can make any claim I wish.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:48:35 AM by bargolf »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

bogie

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
The UST frequency shafts have been around for some time now and I have never heard of them nor seen anyone game one. I would think the PVD coating on a 'putter lounge' shaft would eliminate some oscillation. All the putters I have seem solid with what they are shafted with. I did have some irons 2nd swing soft stepped for me which oscillated and felt very weird. I eventually tossed them.
Corporate Golf is Golf without a soul.

Bettinardi BB2 350 3-Slot
Byron Morgan DH89
Byron Morgan 612