Author Topic: Gun trade finishes!  (Read 1761 times)

lshines

Gun trade finishes!
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:15 AM »
Hello.  I am intrigued by your mention of connection with the British gun trade, as I am an appreciator of British made shotguns, and appreciate the craftsmanship, styling and quality produced there.  I am also nuts for "case-hardened" finishes on many of the shotguns from those companies.  I would have to look up the info on formulations and techniques used to produce such a finish, but you are probably aware of it.  Would it be possible to make one of your putters with that finish?  I am new here - and definitely new to custom putters, so please forgive if this has already been answered in another post.  I want a putter to use - not hang on the wall.

The man with no aim.

Re: Gun trade finishes!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
Not sure a "case hardened" putter is whats really required, it'll putt like a brick and feel awful.

Just my tupennies worth though.

Regards
T
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

Cols_Ears

Re: Gun trade finishes!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
James does a variety of finishes on his putters. I have a customized one of his 12g models with a barrel black finish which is very good to look at and far more durable than standard gun blue. You can see mine in this thread http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=36737.0

If you have a look in some of the other threads in both the James Ingles / Scratch sections I'm sure you can find a putter with a case hardened finish. It's certainly pretty distinctive, but wouldn't be my personal choice, and as Tony say's not sure what it would do to the feel...

TM M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.1 Stiff
TM M1 3HL 17° Fuji Pro95 (Stiff)
Adams ProMini 18° Aerotech HLS880 F4
Ping S55 White Dot  4-PW KBS Tour S
SCOR 4161 wedges 49/53/58 KBS Stiff
Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / James Ingles 12g Custom Flow Neck / MannMade MA66 FN