Author Topic: Introduction and Review: Presenting Anton Putters  (Read 5629 times)

reflog74

Introduction and Review: Presenting Anton Putters
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »
Introducing Anton Putters

Several months ago, an old friend from our days of Cameron collecting called me to say he was ready to pursue his dream of making putters, including true handmades.  Ed Meiners (PT name "capepro") was, until he recently had his amateur status reinstated, a PGA professional working on Cape Cod, MA.  Ed is a student of the game, and also of the ultimate golfing instrument, the putter.  We talked for quite awhile about his ideas and he asked if we at PT would be interested in demoing a few of his designs.  Absolutely!  A box containing three completely different putters soon arrived. 

Anton Putters is a new venture, and as such, Ed was looking for as much feedback as possible.  So, I tried his putters out for a bit, then sent them on to Bruce Rearick, who personally evaluated them and also put them into the hands of some of his students, and then finally, the putters were sent on to JCL, one of PT's most prolific collectors, photographers and reviewers. 

What follows is John's usual thorough work, which we know you will enjoy.  We expect to hear Bruce's thoughts, as well.  What I can tell you is that the Anton putters were all thoughtfully made, having excellent balance, feel and performance.  This batch was all carbon steel, black oxide finished and handstamped.  A nice blend of old school looks on modern designs.  The true handmade is especially impressive, but each putter exhibits handwork and attention to detail. 

I'm sure Ed will have some things to say about his new venture, and be able to answer any questions you may have.  I know he plans to offer putters made of other metals, with other finishes and customizations.  Exciting times for him, and we're glad to play a small part in them.  Good luck, Ed!

John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:28:03 PM by reflog74 »

JCL

Re: Introduction and Review: Presenting Anton Putters
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
The Handmade:

Looks:
The overall look of this putter is great with the grip, shaft, ferrule, and black oxide finish matching well.  That is one of the reasons I had to take this one out for a spin first. The neck is similar to a flow neck.  The face milling is distinct and I would describe it as medium in depth.  This putter set up at D0.5, 33 7/8", 71.5 deg lie angle, and 4 deg loft.  My standard set up is D6 or more, 34", 350g, 71 to 72 deg lie angle, 4 deg loft, and 3:30 to 4:00 toe hang with a Gripmaster stitchback grip.  The putter was hand shaped by the maker using a file and sandpaper.

First impression:
This putter had a solid feel and set up well for me.  I was able to line up my putts and get the ball rolling on my intended line at the speed I wanted.  This putter has a little lighter swingweight than my gamers measuring D0.5.  I was a little concerned I would have distance issues due to the difference in swingweight compared to my gamers (D6 and up), but that was not the case.  This could have been due to spending a good hour on the practice green getting used to it.  It had a little click sound to the putts, but they all felt crisp off the face.  It was easy to align even though it had no sightline due to the way the cavity set up.  The head is small slightly larger than my Palombi mini by about 1/4" and its also about 1/4" shorter than my 711.  The head has a "soft" look with all the edges rounded most likely due to the large amount of hand shaping that went into this putter.  The hosel is mostly round with a ferrule at the end.  The shaft is graphite, but I could not find the manufacturer on it.

This was my first experience with a truly handmade putter and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Its amazing to me that no CNC machine was used on this and it performs very well.  I guess that's the whole point to a good handmade putter. 

Performance:
Toe hang was 4:30 toe hang.  It was easy to line up with the cavity of the putter.  The roll of the ball was good and I had good distance control with it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:31:52 PM by reflog74 »

JCL

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
The "Bridge" putter

Looks:
The "Bridge" putter has an offset plumbers neck.  The weld of the neck had some small pits, but the weld itself was solid.  The body is a pin-tail shaped blade.  It was finished in black oxide and has no alignment aid other than the "Bridge".  The milling of the face was fine and looked good.  This putter set up at D6, 34 12", 72 deg lie angle, and 4 deg loft. 

First impressions:
The Bridge Putter is a little different configuration than most on the market.  The center of the putter has a milled "Bridge" that sticks out of the back.  This feature is the exact opposite of most newer putters that move weight to the heal and toe of a putter.  I did not really expect this putter to resist twisting due to the feature.  I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of twisting with slightly off center putts.  Of the 3 putters this was the most prone to distance control and twisting issues if you hit the ball outside of the bridge.  This is not an issue at all for putting unless you have a difficult time finding the center of the putter.   When I hit a proper putt the ball rolled exceptionally well. 

Performance:
Toe hang on this putter was 4:15.  The Bridge putter was very easy to line up.  I actually expected it to be much more difficult for me since  I typically require a sight line, but the bridge allowed me to center the putter easily.  The feel of this putter is very solid when hit in the center.  It got the ball rolling as well or better than most I have tried and distance control was consistent for me.  The maker of the putter says that the "Bridge" promotes more weight above the equator of the ball and this may be way it rolled the ball so well.  It would be interesting to see if this style promotes less skidding off the puttter face than others.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:16:24 PM by reflog74 »

JCL

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
Proto #1

Looks:
The Proto #1 is what I would consider to be a semi mallet.  There are no alignment marks on it, but its easy to align with the flange milling.  The putter has a small pocket milled into it and has very mine face milling.  The neck is an offset plumbers style welded at the heel.  Of the 3 putters I had to try this one had the largest head.  This putter set up at D4, 33 3/4", 71.5 deg lie angle, and 4 deg loft. 

First impressions:
This putter is heel shafted and I usually avoid those due to my standard putter being close to face balanced.  I was very surprised at how well I putted with this one.  For me it actually performed the best of the 3 while out on the course.  I was very consistent with this putter.  The roll of the ball was exceptional off the face of this putter.

Performance:
Toe Hang is about 5:00 which is far from my standard setup.  I was very surprised with the in game results.  I was able to put my best with this putter.  I usually use a more face balanced putter.

Overall I enjoyed using all 3 of these putters.  They are all very good performing putters.  The ball rolls well off the face of all of them and they were all easy to align.  Even though I putted the best with the Proto #1 if I was to buy one it would be the Handmade.  I just really liked all aspects of this putter.  The look, feel, ease of alignment, and performance were good.  I think the only negative for these is the look of the weld to the neck.  Once this is improved I dont think I could find a real fault with any of them.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:17:24 PM by reflog74 »

JCL

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
The headcover:
The headcover for all three of these putters was a short nylon style that is secure when attached to the putter.  Its only fault is that it is too short in my opinion.  I does not extend far enough down the neck to protect it.  I have never seen this style of headcover and did not trust it to protect the neck so while using these I used one of my PT headcovers to make sure I did not damage them.   That being said the headcovers are unique and appear that they would stay on the putter and protect the head.

yoshiod9

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Cool review and classic John picture (last picture of the bridge putter)!  Congrats on your venture into making putters, Ed!
Daniel

dans4fun

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
 :)

Great review John, thanks.

Congratulations on the new venture Ed.  The putters look great. 

I'd love to see what the "the Bridge" and the "Proto 1" look like with the neck of the Handmade, or a Rincon or Longneck.  I think the look of the head standing over the ball  is excellent for all 3 putters.  The finish matches the look of the putters perfectly!  Best of luck,

Dan

Anton Putters

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
Hi All,  sorry it has taken so long to jump in with some information but I've had some computor issues that are now fixed.

First I'd like to thank John Lewis for his review of my putters and John Sharon for his help and support.

Anton putters came about because I needed a new challenge and I have been around golf and collecting a long time. I was a career Firefighter and golf club repairman for over 30yrs and through golf, a golf professional for 14 yrs. There is an overlap there, in case your counting, I'm not that old!!!
    The "bridge" concept came about as I was thinking of ways to add weight above the equator of the ball (to reduce underspin)  and still have a cavity back. Out of all that came the "bridge". It kind of looks like the Swilcan bridge at St Andrews. It also afforded me more siteline options. I didn't send any putters for review with sitelines (an oversite) but I will post some pics soon. I've not done any scientific study of the "bridge" but golfer response has been great!
    Regarding the covers. I understand John's concern because they weren't his putters (and I appreciate that) but I have always had trouble keeping my AME style cover on my putter (33 1/2") and they quickly get beat up on the bottoms. I saw these covers at the PGA show and ordered some. I have used one for about 2 1/2yrs and they stay on well and I haven't damaged my putter. I am not against ordering the AME style for anyone, they just don't work for me.
    Most of my putters have been made of carbon steel but I have made a few stainless. The trend appears to be towards stainless so I will be making more of them. I have been experimenting with finishes and I'm open minded about what to offer.
    Lastly I know there has been alot of discussion concerning what is a "handmade" and what is a "custom" putter. For Anton Putters I am going to define them as such:

Handmade:    a putter that has been milled out of a solid block of material using a manual mill and lathe, assorted files, sandpaper and buffing wheels.  The only exception might arise if someone wanted a handmade putter but with a plumbersneck hosel. I have made two handmade plumbersneck they were no fun at all. I would have that CNC'd. What to call such a hybrid? We'll cross that "bridge" when we get to it!LOL!!!
     Custom:   an Anton Putter design that starts life at a local CNC machinist's and is roughly shaped. I would also use him to do design features that would be difficult or impossible to do with a manual mill. (example: plumberneck). When I receive the putter back I would have 2-3 hours left to finish it.

I hope this has been helpful. I will post some pics of available putters and my shop as soon as I can.
Please feel free to PM me with questions on price, etc.

Thanks,

Eddie Anton Meiners  (aka Capepro)
Eddie

bargolf

• Section Moderator
    • barusga
    • BURNT EDGES CONSULTING
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
Byron Morgan Bombora In-Between Long Pipe
Byron Morgan DaKine Long Pipe
Staff Professional Burnt Edges Consulting
SLDR TP 9.5 TP
SLDR 3 14 degree TP
SLDR TP Hybrids 17 and 21
Nike VR Pro Blades 4-9 KBS Tour S
Clay Long Desig TM 50 and 56

Anton Putters

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Bruce,  thank you for taking the time to review my putters and to put them in the hands of your students. Your comments are encouraging. I am not familiar with your system but I am very interested. How do I locate it. Is it posted somewhere on Puttertalk or on your website?

Also,  thank you to Yoshiod9 and Dans4fun for your encouragement!

Ed
Eddie

reflog74

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
Ed,

Here's a thread about some of Bruce's work with your putters.

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=30421.0

John

indyvai

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
Finally!  I have been waiting for an official launch for quite some time... Ed was my inspiration to design and create... looks great!

Anton Putters

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »
I promised some pics of different types of sitelines and some pics of my shop. My camera is not the best (or is it the operator?) but they will give you an idea. The pics will show a "raised" siteline (red), a lowered "bridge" siteline ( aqua and red) and some others. My shop pic will show my mills and my lathe and also I jig I made in order to make the sole radius and inside radius without having to go by a template maker and hours of file work.  Hope they shop up (my first time posting pics here) and I hope you like them. If this works I will post a few available putters later today.

Thanks,
  ED
Eddie

The man with no aim.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Ed

Can you give me some details on the big booty Bridge mallet without the shaft, she sure is pretty

Regards
T
rjb1910
Wanted, wanted, Dead or Alive

Anton Putters

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
Hi T,
  That is my mallet version of the "bridge".  On that particular one I lowered the bridge and cut a siteline in.
The finish is basically the undercoating of the finish that appears on the multicolored heads. The multicolored heads I'm not satisfied with. It comes off with routine ware and that grey is what's underneath. The mallet you see here I buffed off the other finish. I was told that this would now act like a gunblueing needing alot of care but somewhat protected. I am hoping to send all the putters I have like this to be stripped and finished differently.
  Perhaps in copper, aqua marine, nickle??  Whatever people are going to ask for and I can track down at a reasonable price. I've used BOS and someone local but I'm planning on contacting Kevin Colbert as well.
  If you like that finish it would need to be treated like a blk Ox. wipe it down and keep it dry. I have been using a mallet exactly like the one you see that's how I know the multicolor finish is not up to standards. However, that mallet is very easy to line up and make putts with.
  I am also in the process of making a couple of those and also a couple like the LH version that I show.
   PM me if you have interest.

Ed
Eddie

Anton Putters

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Hi All,
  Going on a well deserved vacation, be back on April 8th.

Ed
Eddie