Author Topic: First James Ingles Bespoke putter finished  (Read 6584 times)

JTI

First James Ingles Bespoke putter finished
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:36 AM »
So, its been a while in the making due to the length of time a lot of the techniques used on this putter but the antique damascus came back from the browners last week so we could assmeble the final piece and take some pictures. So the spec:

- Main head made from a billet of 1018 carbon steel.
- Face insert is a piece of antique damascus (circa 100 years old) that was taken from a set of gun barrels and flattened, then browned.
- Insert is held in place by 6 gold screws, made by hand from a rod of gold, fit completely flush with the face and insert.
- Finish is colour case hardening, this was done by the best case hardener in the world as used by Holland and Holland, Hellis, Purdey and Boss and co gunmakers, its a family business that have been doing case hardening for a long long time.
- Hand engraved gold sightline and gold ring around the hosel
- Hand made brass ferrule which was also engraved (this isnt in the pictures as we havent done the final assembley on the putter)
- Sole of the putter was engraved by one of the best hand engravers in the world, he actually closed his order book 18months ago for new work and now only takes on work for a few people. The lettering is 24ct gold inlay and the pattern is small scroll work, as is common on London shotguns.

I am extremely happy that this putter is so closely entwined with the world of shotguns. As a new venture this putter is by no means the norm of what we will be doing, but to have been able to make this putter, as our first bespoke seems quite apt and harks back to the roots of the venture.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

mekeni

• Oldskool
Re: First James Ingles Bespoke putter finished
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »
I love the rustic look, neck is sexy. I mus say at first glance I wasn't too impressed. After zoomin in the pics, I must admit I do like it a lot. I like the lines and you can clearly see the hand work put into it. Not an insert fan, but Damascus added that uniqueness to it. Never seen that before. Let me know if you need a tester!  ;)
Nice work!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:05:35 AM by mekeni »

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »
The attention to detail is amazing!!! Stunning putter! The ferrule added will really make her 'pop'!

reflog74

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:06:05 AM »
Beautiful work, James!  Congratulations!

John

Pure745

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
That is insane!  Knowing Ari.. what's that weigh? 400g? :)

JTI

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:10:01 AM »
That is insane!  Knowing Ari.. what's that weigh? 400g? :)

Haha, not too far away from that, its 365g

Kilmidyke

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
Good grief!   That is truly outstanding craftsmanship!
PutterHead #235 reporting for duty! :)

spiker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
That finish is really incredible!! Does the case hardening affect the feel of the putter?

JTI

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
Hey, thanks for the kind words. IMO the feel isnt really affected by the case hardening, it does perhaps provide a slightly crisper feel, but really nothing very noticeable, perhaps you could liken it to feeling firmer than a carbon putter, but softer than a stainless putter (there are however those that feel certain stainless can feel the same of softer than carbon of course). The hardening only affects the thinnest outside skin of the metal, the rest is completely unchanged, so i doubt the majority of golfers would be able to tell the difference really.

spiker

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »
Interesting. Really is pretty!

Does it require the usual carbon maintenance or is it like a plating that you don't have to worry about rust?

JTI

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:12:21 AM »
Interesting. Really is pretty!

Does it require the usual carbon maintenance or is it like a plating that you don't have to worry about rust?

Is a bit of both really. You do have to look after it and maintain it, but it does make it slightly less labour intensive than a normal carbon putter.

MyBluC4

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
Absolutely stunning.

cunham32

• looks good on you, though.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
A beautiful finished product!

Edgolf

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »
Who's the lucky owner of this beautiful putter.... love everything about this putter, except for the insert but simply outstanding work!

James, can you PM me for a cost of this putter (minus the insert)?

Tie_Webb

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Wow, James! Not my style, but unbelievable craftsmanship. 

Lee