Author Topic: Help with dating and valuation?  (Read 275 times)

ohiowilly

Help with dating and valuation?
« on: May 18, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
Hello:

I tripped over this Dalehead at a garage sale, and thought it was just another KARSTEN CO model, until I looked at the sole. A Slazenger imprint on the toe end of the sole, near the face slot.

While I've done some research on older Ping Anser models, I'm not real sure about this one. I'd appreciate some thoughts from the Ping gurus here on the Puttertalk forum.

Thanks in advance -

ohiowilly

FrankenScotty

Re: Help with dating and valuation?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »
Has she got a shaftband on mate?

A couple of pictures of the grip as well would probably help with the release (dating),

Looks like an English release at the time (European), to spread the PING word,

May have even been a South African one, or even possibly Canadian,

To have the Slazenger moniker on it, it was somewhere other than the US of A,

Looks to be a nice example, pity about the alignment marks cut into the topline, as far as collectability goes,

She would be a great gamer though, my favourite Anser for the bag, I don't have an original Scottsdale though, but I think the metals mix in the head is probably the same, after that time, they feel a lot different (those models I do have a few of),

Lumpy is the one that would have the most knowledge, I would say, enjoy your lovely old Ping K Co Anser for what she is, a sweet gamer! Cheers Steve.
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

ohiowilly

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Steve -

The shaft, itself appears to be a replacement, in my estimation. The grip is roughly the proper model, but it's the GP "Pro-Only" Pingman grip, but the shaft-band would indicate a reshaft, or replacement of the band. The shaft band is wider than the "bal-namic" thin band that's on my other Daleheads, and lists a Phoenix Zip code of 85068, which does not match the 85029 from the cavity of the putter. The alignment lines are unfortunate, but they weren't going to stop me from picking this up!

FrankenScotty

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
Great pick up, really good gamer's,

Definitely re-shafted and gripped, as there isn't a melted collar at the base of the grip,

Probably re-shafted at Ping (sent one there myself a few years back), likely sometime in the 80's looking at the shaftband,

The grip looks brand new, so either it was shafted and gripped and put straight into a cupboard and forgotten about, or the grip is a new addition.

Just my thoughts, happy to be corrected.
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"