Author Topic: Ping Karsten  (Read 399 times)

Jim Check

Ping Karsten
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
I'm new to the forum and am so impressed with the knowledge of the members and general information. Hats off to Lumpy for such a wonderful and thorough analysis of Ping's. I have been collecting off and on for the past 10 years or so and have gathered quite a "bunch" of vintage putters but my last Ping acquisition has me stumped. This has Karsten and Ping on the toe and heel, Karsten Mfg. Corp below the Ping, is heel shafted, all original MgB I think, older worn Ping band, Ping Pro Only grip, Phoenix 85029 and Pat Pend. cavity stampings. I've researched, but cannot find any reference. I'd appreciate the experts opinions and details about this putter. Thanks so much.

FrankenScotty

Re: Ping Karsten
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 03:05:09 AM »
G'day Jim, welcome to PT,

I am certainly no expert, but I will try to help you out.

Your putter is Manganese/Bronze as you thought, she is in pretty good shape as well, looking at your pics,

This Karsten blade is one of three variants (with differing hosel's), the Karsten, Karsten 2 & Karsten 3,

They are all part of the Ping Phoenix 85029 Manganese Bronze era (exact years no one is quite sure),

There were around forty five models all up, here is a pic of the three Karsten's, from Oldmannoodles collection,

Also the link to Noodles topic when he released the pics of his collection after amassing it, just to make us all drool,

Hope this helps, cheers Steve.

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=7554.0
"You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me"

jpwb8

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:08:45 AM »
Not really a lot to add, but the patent for it (USD213509S) was filed in 1968 and granted in 1969 so it's gotta be around that time.

Pity it's called a Karsten. Makes it REALLY hard to look for specifics...
Bombora Secrets
Tad Moore Barn Find
Mills One
Acushnet Bullseye (flanged)

game 'em all!

Jim Check

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
Many, many thanks to you both for your information. Oldmannoodles surely has a remarkable collection!

In the picture of the 3 Karstens, compared to mine, the stampings on the toe & heel are reversed on the Karsten 2 & 3. It's difficult to see the graphics on the cleaned up Karsten version but the hosel on that one appears identical to mine. So then, I guess that I have a Karsten from the late 1960's and is it safe to assume that there are no other variations of this model?

FrankenScotty

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:26:11 AM »
I had a rummage around and found these,

The 1 and 2 have half shaft offsets, while the 3 is a full shaft offset,

And yes, the wording is reversed on the bumpers in the later models, cheers Steve.

FrankenScotty

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »
I did also forget to mention that the Karsten 2 that is here, has a fluted shaft (which I forgot to take a pic of),

It is the only Ping putter that I have that has one, or personally that I have seen,

It does look original, so has anyone else seen a fluted shaft on an 85029 era Ping putter?

Jim Check

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
Steve, you're the best!  Thanks for the additional pictures and data on these and now I have the story and background.