Author Topic: finalist's BYRONs  (Read 8284 times)

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
Re: finalist's BYRONs
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
Better feeling, deep milled GSS 612 or TCB 612?

Good question! They are VERY different feeling. The GS is probably 20-25 grams heavier and the copper has a thinner face and cavity. The copper offers a lot more feedback - anything off the sweetspot feels like a click, and even the sweetspot is harder feeling than the GS. I like the feel of the GS better, but the weight is too much. The copper is a great gamer and practice stick because it offers the most feedback of all my putters and the overall rotational value fits me better (it's lighter- I like that). They are a good example of face thickness defining softness. Both have very deep milling. The hand milling on the Copper is probably just as deep as the CNC deep milling on the GS, but a different pattern. Overall of i had to pick one to game it would be the copper for the weight and feedback.

Copper is probably one of my favorite looking putters, but I would say it has the least preferable feel out of GSS, Carbon, and Damascus.

Have you ever hit a Copper DH89 Mini? They have thick faces and feel totally different than the other copper models, but compared to stainless and carbon DH89 Minis it still has that copper click feel, but much more muted than the copper 612 click feel.

www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »
It would be interesting to have a copper Long Pipe neck welded/fastened/connected to a Carbon body.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

Pure745

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
I have hit the Copper Mini and it feels great!  I also like the copper plated carbon much more than the solid copper.. it just feels so brittle, I guess is the word I would use.  It's definitely a unique feel, not bad or good, just different.

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
Ever try this - Turn you copper 612 90° counter clockwise in your hands so you would putt off the toe like Tiger does with his putter every great once in a while from the fringe to not catch the taller grass. That is the softest feeling thing ever.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

TrueRoll140

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
A few thoughts...

The softest putters are without a doubt the Captain Morgan blade, the two Bomboras and the DH 89 Minis. They all have THICK amounts of material right behind the impact.

Offset. I have putters with a full shaft, 3/4 shaft and half shaft. I can definitely tell the difference in how they swing even before Bruce explained what is actually going on. I previously thought a putter swings a certain amount open in the backswing and will swing that opposite amount times 2 closed during the through swing. wrong. A putter that stays closed in the backswing will swing more closed in the through swing. Offset does that. Offset keeps the head slightly closed during the backswing and because it's already closed (or not as open as less offset putters) the head will swing more closed through impact. This is something I really feel when comparing the two carbon 612s. The Damascus neck has a solid full shaft while the German neck is 3/4 offset. The Damascus neck 612 works better for my stroke as is helps get that toe closing through impact.

Solid Copper. So soft that you can bend the lie angle with your bare hands, but it feels the most crisp of all the materials given the same head design. I think the reason is that copper weighs more than steel, so to keep weight down Byron designed the cavities to be thinner. The thinner face transmits more impact vibrations. I'd say this feature makes them the best for giving feedback especially coupled with a sound slot.

Sound Slots. Byron calls them Viber Grooves. The impact on impact sound is very subtle. They are a great way to trim about 5 grams and they do give a slightly crisper impact feel IMO as there is now less material behind the face, but it's very very very subtle IMO.

Materials. So German, Carbon, Stainless all have reps... Just read some TCC threads. IMO I can't tell the difference. They all feel soft and Byron always says they are all soft for milling. The softest putter without an insert that I have ever tried was one of Byron's gamers. I can't remember the model name at the moment, but  I think  there are only three and they have a sort of evolved Bullseye look with a small cavity land smalll bumpers. That putter was the softest I ever stroked and it is solid American Stainless Steel. Butter. That putter is smooth warm butter. It's all in the design, grip, shaft, face milling and ball.

Finishes. Easiest to care for COPPER! you can alter it at home with ease, but nature will take it over and the patina will always rule. Small little scratches, spotting etc can easily be removed. It can be easily shined with a chemical wipe or made to look crazy colorful with hot water. Blasted is second easiest, but it has to be reblasted if you get any scuffs. Blue oil is sort of organic in that it starts off very colorful, but it will darken over months. Just wash it with water and soap for some vibrant hues. High shine... no I don't ever get bothering glares on my gamer - the blue oil dulls the high shine just enough.

Grips. I prefer the small Iomics for their durability and I like thin grips. I have my eye on the new GripMAster white Carbon weave though. They say it stays clean. My favorite grip is the Blue Salmon for the wow factor of the fish scales that make it look like a snake, and it's blue.
Does your copper 612 have the same 3/4 shaft offset as the rest of your 612's (minus the welded damascus of course)?

And along with the face being a bit thinner, is the top line from address any thinner? Thanks.

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
TrueRoll,
Yes, the copper does have a slightly thinner topline than the standard 612s because of the face milling. It must also have sloght more offset, but i can't visually tell. However, I can see that the topline is slightly thinner. It must be thinner by about the depth of a groove? About as small as you can get but still be able to tell without trying too hard.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

TrueRoll140

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2013, 07:01:09 AM »
TrueRoll,
Yes, the copper does have a slightly thinner topline than the standard 612s because of the face milling. It must also have sloght more offset, but i can't visually tell. However, I can see that the topline is slightly thinner. It must be thinner by about the depth of a groove? About as small as you can get but still be able to tell without trying too hard.
Kind of what I figured. Have one on order now.

Thanks Ryan

DanGolfs86

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
not to dig up an older thread, but HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I mean HOLY... CRAP...

That is any amazing collection! I love the mini's, been meaning to try one at some point.  Just unreal, i love the sam dh9 too, did byron do the stamping on that one or was it done by you?

I've got life goals again thanks to this thread
- DH89 SSS Rincon Chromatic Bronze Torched
- John Byron Dale Head

finalist

• The Roll Abides
    • ByronPutters.com
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Thanks!
Byron did all the stamping.
www.byronputters.com

ryan@byronputters.com

Rob McHugh

• Try to be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are
    • Rob McHugh
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
Just spent an hour going through this Ryan and can only echo the sentiments of others - outstanding collection. Thank you for sharing your passion and insights.

Kind regards,
Rob
Kind regards,
Rob