Author Topic: New TPM collector; Are there instructions on refinishing?  (Read 921 times)

jamesd058

• Break 80 or Bust!
New TPM collector; Are there instructions on refinishing?
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
Is there a post that talks about refinishing & restoring? Though I use a TPM 4 (best feel ever), I have collected a few Ping putters. I recently found a TPM "Spalding 19" Tour Series, and would love to do a complete restore. I have only ever done cleaning and polishing, but would love to try a complete finish.

I'd like t know what special tools and equipment are required, and read up on all your pro's & con's, and challenges. I am reading now, but thought I'd ask to speed things up by getting pointers to any really good posts. Appreciate all your help!

Thank you. (May convert from Ping to TPM!) SSSSHHH!!!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:10:42 AM by jamesd058 »
Jim
PING G5 9.5 Stiff
TM V-Steel TS, 4, (3,5,7,9)
TM Firesole FW #5 (190-205)
PING I3+, Regular Steel (testing G15 irons)
TP Mills - TPM4 (testing PING Anser Steel & MgBrnz!)
PING 1-A now in collection (Phoenix version)

lowsparkco

• rolling the rock
Re: New TPM collector; Are there instructions on refinishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »
I just started refinishing putters, starting with a TPM #10, about a year ago.  I have some mechanical background, so I read a lot on the internet and then experimented with some different techniques.  There's loads of info out there, so I'm sure you'll find plenty, but a few tips from a guy that's done 7 or 8....

I like to use a rotary tool for the big dings.  Something like a Dremel, although I use a cheapo from Harbor Freight.  Experiment on an old head or a piece of metal maybe first, but the general idea is to gently smooth the low spot into the surroundings taking as little material as possible, I use some of the engraving heads but you can get a big variety pack of attachments and play around until you find something that works for you.

Although the tool is great for getting the dings, I prefer to hand sand once the dings are gone.  The rotary tool may make some small "skip" marks or "slug trail" indentations that you'll need to sand with a coarse grit paper to blend those back into the surface.  One great thing about hand sanding is that you can spend as much or as little time as needed.  I try very hard to leave any mill marks that weren't effected by big dings or scratches and I never sand the face of a milled putter because I would rather have the dings than lose the milling.  For the most part I don't attempt a putter that has marks on the face that I don't want to play with if the putter has face milling.

One thing with the old Spaulding TP Mills that you'll read about is that the castings weren't consistent.  Spaulding would use whatever scrap they could get for a nice price so the heads can be very different in metal composition.  When I was looking to buy a head I actually tried to find ones with pitting from rust.  The higher carbon content putters are in the worst shape for the most part.  Then I actually don't worry about the face and the sole don't come out perfect.  The sole is getting lead tape and the top line and the cavity or blade is the part that my is sensitive to my eye over the ball.  It's better to keep the head weight up then whittle the putter down to nothing IMO.

I've enjoyed my TP Mills 10 very much and it cost 15 bucks before the restore.  If I'm scared of lightening fast greens, like a big tournament I played last year, then this putter is often in the bag.  There's something fulfilling and expectation lowering to show up with a 15 dollar stick.  It has helped win me several matches so it will be here for the long haul!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:29:02 PM by lowsparkco »
Spaulding TP Mills No. 10
SC Circa 62 No. 2 Hand stamped "Matt"
SC Newport Classic
Byron Morgan DH 89

jamesd058

• Break 80 or Bust!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »
Appreciate your input & experience. I will do more reading, and hopefully will start something soon.

Thank you.
Jim
PING G5 9.5 Stiff
TM V-Steel TS, 4, (3,5,7,9)
TM Firesole FW #5 (190-205)
PING I3+, Regular Steel (testing G15 irons)
TP Mills - TPM4 (testing PING Anser Steel & MgBrnz!)
PING 1-A now in collection (Phoenix version)

rclarke1

• trying to get back on course......
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »
James- no shame in joining the Mills Mob!
;)
Matt!
Thanks for a great post! keep the good stuff coming!
Best!
RC
Xenon X, SRC blade
Mann MA66, Super Sport, Rattler
Byron GSS DH89, GSS 615 DW, Carbon 612, B17
Carbon Ming, GSS Trad XL, 303 SS Flat T
RJB7784, RJB8143, BB1WB tour carbon